What hardware synth???

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Kromasome
arsehole
What hardware synth???

Post by Kromasome »

Hi all,

I know this is a very subjective topic and there is no right or wrong answer, but I'm looking for opinions on relatively cheap hardware synths. When I say relatively cheap I'm thinking less than $1000 (Aus) if possible. I would love to go all in on a DSI and/or some Elektron stuff, but unfortunately my budget is not big enough for that.

I've been thinking about a BassStation II for quite a while, or the minilogue or one of the moog boxes (minitaur or mother). And then there will be the new Roland stuff announced on the 9th of the 9th, plus whatever the new Elektron box turns out to be (prob too expensive for me whatever it is).

I've got a midi keyboard, so keys aren't a necessity - but sometimes I feel like keys would be handy so I can just plonk it on my lap in the loungeroom and just tinker away for a while without having too much gear to hook up.

I know there are heaps of options these days and it comes down to what I want to get out of it and what sounds good to my ears, but I just thought I'd see what the current owners of various synths have to say first.

A combination of some of the previously mentioned synths would be best, but I can only do one for the time being. I've got plenty of soft synths to make up for whatever I don't get from the hardware, but I would just like something that I can get my hands on and get away from the computer from time to time.

Thanks for any thoughts and/or recommendations anyone has about this.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: What hardware synth???

Post by Lost to the Void »

Tough question.

I'd go poly rather than mono, so you have more options, more bang for buck.

Now I would say go with Elektron A4 used, because you get something well built, well supported, versatile analog sound, poly, 4 channel mono or any combination unison, with built in fx, a pretty rich sequencer etc. I have one.

But I'm gonna say go Korg Minilogue. I've heard some guys I really respect make some really lovely sound with it, a sound way better than you would expect considering the price.
Its well made, has some great features, and it really sounds sexy, warm and how you expect analog to sound.

Everyone needs at least one poly, and there is nothing quite like spamming out some chords on your polys keyboard and getting a nice thick warm, syrupy, organic pad ticking your ears and then sweeping a nice creamy saturated filter over it where the resonance catches and plucks at all the different harmonics as you sweep it... Mmmmmmmm.

People from vst land can get quite dissapointed when buying their first analog (if this is your first) when they inevitably go mono, because unless you are buying a more expensive multi osc mono, most of the "affordable" mono's do analog properly but not the really thick, chunky, detuned oomph I now have an erection sound, that you get used to with unlimited osc and polyphony vst analog emulations.

A (good) poly gives you that sound you expect of analog in your head.
And the Minilogue is good, better than most people realise, it would seem.
I am now sold on them after hearing them properly, and the price is good, and am buying one myself.

How is that for a sales promotion?

I do not work for Korg....
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Dammit - I was just about sold on the BSII last night when I did some research.

I might see if I can stretch the budget to get an A4 - I know that contradicts my original post, but I haven't seen too many negative comments about it and it has been at the top of my wish list for quite a while...

Thanks for the advice.

I think I need to jump in the car and take a drive to have a listen to a few different options first-hand before I part with any cash.
Lost to the Void wrote:I do not work for Korg....
haha - not even a little kick-back maybe....

Dolorum
Poo Fingers

Post by Dolorum »

I am in a similar boat. I used to own an Arturia Minibrute, but ended up selling it, because although I could get some interesting sounds out of it, I was someone who would prefer a polyphonic synth.

So, the next synthesizer purchase that I make will most likely be the Korg Minilogue. Or, if you feel like waiting, that new Behringer synth looks interesting, although time will tell whether it will stay in one piece after more than a couple of months.

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

2nd hand A4 will be probably be about 1400+ in aud

There is stock of minilogue floating around for 800$ . Pretty decent for the price . My one should arrive today.

I think its a good choice for adding a bit of hw mojo on top of your DAW tracks. If you looking to be more totally out of the box and sequence externally its probably worth saving up for the a4 and a couple of other elektron boxes down the line

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

TvSkY wrote:2nd hand A4 will be probably be about 1400+ in aud

There is stock of minilogue floating around for 800$ . Pretty decent for the price . My one should arrive today.

I think its a good choice for adding a bit of hw mojo on top of your DAW tracks. If you looking to be more totally out of the box and sequence externally its probably worth saving up for the a4 and a couple of other elektron boxes down the line
I might have to hit up Gumtree to see if I can find any A4's in that price range!!

I think I'd prefer to head that way for an extra $600 over the minilogue (I'm not too worried about going totally out of the box, but I think it might give me more options than the minilogue).

Thanks for the tip.

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

If you wanna go the hardware side then take a synth with good control and not one where you need a editor to program it.
Then it's bether to use a VST if you ask me.
Also consider 2nd hand because of your budget. It also makes that you don't lose money when it's not your thing.
The best DSI monisynth for me is the (mono)Evolver, altough i'm not so in love with the filter but the rest of the synth is really nice.
BS2 is great and has some overlap with the SH-101. I find this the best low budget synth made.
If you absolutely want vintage then consider buying a SH-101 (but I think the BS2 is a better choice budget wise then).
I can't give you any info about Elektron boxes because I havn't got my hands and ears one them.
Don't expect a hardware synth to be a magic box; it also needs processing and adding fx.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Is this your first hw synth?

The A4 is quite overwheming and its really takes an effort to get the right sound out of it imo due to the many parameters.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

If it's your first HW synth and you want to get rid of the mouse twiddling, I suggest a synth with a good, knob per function user interface. Get something with no screen, no menus, no funky key combos at least for the common stuff.

Vermona Mono Lancet might fit the bill. Cheap-ish (well, not super cheap but cheaper than many other analogs), no keyboard, dead easy to use, sounds great. Mono though, but don't let that stop you, basses, leads, percussion are mono sounds usually.

The Boomstars are another option, sound great, knobby, though a tad more expensive.

Moogs are one option too, but the cheaper ones are in some ways limited. Minitaur is a bass synth by design + AFAIK it has some hidden functions that are easier to use with a computer editor. The Mother 32 has just one oscillator. Sub Phatty is good though, I used to own one. A 2nd hand might fit your budget.

Lots of random boutique options too these days.

If you need a poly, you might need to forget about analog. Great sounding analogs with a knobby UI are usually expensive, though the new Behringer seems to defy the rules. if digital is ok, something like a 2nd hand Nord Lead might suit you. I prefer them over the Viruses.

Also, do your research before you commit any serious dough to hardware! HW is great, but it can be a dangerous rabbit hole. You buy one tiny thing, the next thing you notice is you need to move to a bigger apartment. If possible, visit a friend's studio which has loads of hardware, play about with them a little bit, see if that workflow suits you.

Buying 2nd hand is a good idea too, if possible. Unless you overpay for some junk, you can usually sell the unit for what you paid for or thereabouts.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

If you are going good with a mono synth.. at least get something that has 2 oscs that you can detune into a chord.

Ms20 mini is great. I think I was looking at a dark energy with around the time I decided to get the ms20 cos it had the extra tunable osc as well as the routing options. Minilogue seems like a great option though I haven't tried it. Specs tick lots of boxes.

I think the elektron stuff might not be as 'synthy' as a more traditional synth. If you can try before you buy. Or order / return online for a full refund before 30 days, then do. Keep an eye out on 2nd hand market afterwards if you wish.

+1 for elektron for not being as immediate. All the parameters are there but you do need a certain amount of knowledge to get the best from it imo. It's a good opportunity to learn though! The menus/ functions etc.. are very straightforward.

dsi stuff is cool. Lots of routings available in the menus, almost modular if the synth has 2 or 3 lfo.. delays and 4 x independent sequencers to modulate stuff with. Almost like a vst lol. They're fully packed. dsi is really cool.. you can do lots with them but they might not be as instant as a korg. I've got a MEK and a ms20 mini.

They all need some nice reverb & delay though to come alive IMO. You can add that after the synth in the chain.. the synth doesn't really need to come with fx.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

Kromasome wrote:

I might have to hit up Gumtree to see if I can find any A4's in that price range!!

I think I'd prefer to head that way for an extra $600 over the minilogue (I'm not too worried about going totally out of the box, but I think it might give me more options than the minilogue).

Thanks for the tip.
if your in the 1400$ aud you could also look at a dsi prophet 08 module . better knob per function u/i . very deep and powerful mod matrix and synth engine. only 2 part multi timbral but twice as many voices obviously . No sequencer or efx but if your primarily DAW based with looking at add HW on top you will probably sequence , arrange and process the audio in the daw anyway

snitch
fake

Post by snitch »

i say, wait for the new Behringer Synth!
From what i heard already its gonna be awesome.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Behringer is Out of his stated price range.

Go watch the nick batt live pa I linked to hear a Minilogue in use. Fucking awesome.
New Shit

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

Thanks everyone for the great advice.

Really spoilt for choice these days (with all the different products now available relatively cheaply) and I'm in no rush (my work bonus for the last five years has gone on "children and house stuff", but this year I'm hoping to actually get a little something for myself - so selfish!!)

Yes, this will be my first hw synth (the old electribe ESX doesn't really count for obvious reasons)

I understand there is a steep learning curve with the Elektron stuff and there is a fair bit of menu diving required, but they look and sound like serious fun once you work out how to get the most out of them.

I hadn't really thought about looking for a second hand DSI module. Will definitely look into that.

Thanks again for all the thoughts and recommendations - looks like I have a lot more research to do (which is half the fun sometimes)

(Feel free to add more thoughts, just wanted to say thanks to those who have already helped out)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I think the menu diving is a bit of a myth really. It's more the working method you have to get your head round. Once you do it is all quite logical. There isnt really deep levels of menus. For the most part there is a button related to a page. Like envelopes button draws up envelopes. Osc button draws up osc page. Then on each page the layout is the same and relates to the same nobs. It's actually a very efficient system once you get it. It becomes I tuition rather than enter one menu then another then another. It is sort of nob and button per function .
New Shit

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

TvSkY wrote:
Kromasome wrote:

Thanks for the tip.
if your in the 1400$ aud you could also look at a dsi prophet 08 module . better knob per function u/i . very deep and powerful mod matrix and synth engine. only 2 part multi timbral but twice as many voices obviously . No sequencer or efx but if your primarily DAW based with looking at add HW on top you will probably sequence , arrange and process the audio in the daw anyway
Prophet 08 sounds amazing. I've got one and I love it.

It does have a simple step sequencer built in.

If you just want to dip your toe in the water and don't want to risk a lot of cash, this could be an interesting choice....

http://www.audiothingies.com/product/micromonsta/

No knob per function, but user defined wavetables is very nice. And the price is almost pocket change for an 8 voice poly

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

Lost to the Void wrote:Behringer is Out of his stated price range.

Go watch the nick batt live pa I linked to hear a Minilogue in use. Fucking awesome.
My ML arrived yesterday. its great! nice character , easy to use , the crusty delay is great . DUBTECHNO!!!!

for the money it is the deal of the year

Dussle
Exampleless

Post by Dussle »

I run a hardware only set up, no daw, record to a tascam DP24. I have both poly synths (JX-80, analog keys, DX21) and mono synths (x0xb0x, Anushri & volca bass) and as I've been using them daily and getting to know them, there really is nothing like a knob per function, no learning required, VCO mono. I recommend a mutable instruments anushri, it is so ridiculously rich sounding whilst also being able to make the classic string, bass and brass sounds along with gorgeous fx whilst adding its own unique flavour.

If you cant find an Anushri then I would recommend the Minibrute, as long as you know that analogue is really sensitive and turning a knob or sliding a fader even slightly could affect the sound hugely. The minibrute can sound like a NIN album really easily but if you are subtle and gentle can produce softer sounds. I've played a microbrute, which is basically the same and it rewards delicacy.

The BS2 will allow you save presets but all that will do is encourage you to make sounds now and songs later. knowing a synth will never sound like it does now (a vco with no memory slots) encourages you to make songs now.

I own an Analog Keys and although its taken me a while to realise this, I like it as a tool and use it for signal processing, CV sequencing and a few presets (the bass drums are really good) but I rarely spend time making patches for it because it feels like a tool, not an instrument.

Bocaj
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Bocaj »

The next hw synth I'm going to buy is a Minilogue. Fantastic sound, intuitive design, easy to program and has all the necessary outputs. I was really impressed when I got to toy around with it.

Kromasome
arsehole

Post by Kromasome »

TvSkY wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:Behringer is Out of his stated price range.

My ML arrived yesterday. its great! nice character , easy to use , the crusty delay is great . DUBTECHNO!!!!

for the money it is the deal of the year
Congrats on the new acquisition!

I've been checking out a few vids and they certainly do seem like a lot synth for the money.

Unfortunately we are getting swamped by bills at the moment, so I'm starting to get buyer's remorse before I've even bought anything!