Help with Arturia Mini Lab

General Chat // Music Discussion
Spacefunk
Exampleless
Help with Arturia Mini Lab

Post by Spacefunk »

Purchased an Arturia mini lab few months ago and i still cant figure it out.watched all the videos the manual and what not ,now im starting to think its a hardware issue .

All i wanna do is,use it as a midi controller. There are two modes Absolute & Relative . once you hold Shift+Pad 1 it goes to Absolute mode and enables to midi map.However,i can not get it to work as instructed. Once i map it on ableton the mapped virtual knob would not turn all the way or get stuck in between.

I contacted Arturia support team where they havent got back to me yet,also posted on Arturia forum and no luck yet. If someone could help me out that would be great. Also never buying arturia again,hooking up a $100 midi controller shouldnt be this hard?

Hades
Shit Eater
Re: Help with Arturia Mini Lab

Post by Hades »

Spacefunk wrote:Purchased an Arturia mini lab few months ago and i still cant figure it out.watched all the videos the manual and what not ,now im starting to think its a hardware issue .

All i wanna do is,use it as a midi controller. There are two modes Absolute & Relative . once you hold Shift+Pad 1 it goes to Absolute mode and enables to midi map.However,i can not get it to work as instructed. Once i map it on ableton the mapped virtual knob would not turn all the way or get stuck in between.

I contacted Arturia support team where they havent got back to me yet,also posted on Arturia forum and no luck yet. If someone could help me out that would be great. Also never buying arturia again,hooking up a $100 midi controller shouldnt be this hard?
I don't have any of Arturia's HW, only their komplete bundle (or whatever it's called), and not the latest version.
But anyway, 2 things I can think of :

1. have you checked if it isn't the parameter that you're trying to control ?
For example : if the cutoff only goes to say 25, obviously your knob is going to stop there. This could for example be the case if you are trying to map your Arturia thing to the macro knobs of a rack and the macro knobs in that rack have a minimum and maximum value already assigned to them.

2. Did you check in Live's preferences in the MIDI part if you see it properly showing up there ? Try to see if all 3 options (track/sync/remote) are enabled, and try to see if enabling or disabling one of these might make a difference.
Also check that "takeover mode" thing. I find "value scaling" to be the best setting by far, it stops parameters from making sudden jumps when you turn a knob.
But if it's set to "pick up" for example, and your parameter is set to 30 for example, and your knob is at 120, then if you don't turn your knob all the way back to 30, nothing is gonna happen until that moment (where it starts to pick up the parameter).

I'll be honest with you. Both of these are a wild guess, but you should at least see that controller show up in the Live preferences, or otherwise something's wrong.

Also, I've done a dispatch/help desk job for 15 fucking years.
If you get in touch with them and they don't get back to you... that is simply wrong.
Don't accept that lazy shit !
Get BACK in touch with them, if you see a phone number somewhere on their site, call it,
at all time, stay polite, but be firm, you paid for the product, they should give you support.

And if that doesn't help, just try swapping it in for a new one at the company you bought this at.
Music store for example has a 3 year warranty, if I'm not mistaken,
and they will swap it in for another one with no questions asked.
Then at least you can see if it's a HW failure, or a SW problem.

good luck.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Spacefunk wrote: Also never buying arturia again,hooking up a $100 midi controller shouldnt be this hard?
also, don't forget that if it's a SW issue, it could just be a setting in Live (as I suspect it is, probably the takeover mode thing),
and MIDI was designed in 1983 by Dave Smith,
and it's still in version 1.0 since then.

Now I'm not trying to discourage you,
and you are right, it shouldn't be this hard with most modern day controllers.
But to give you an example : I've been using MIDI since '94.
4 days ago, I played in a part from my XV88 into Live as a MIDI clip, an needed to play back that same clip to that same synth to then add some external HW FX and EQ from my mixer so I could afterwards record it as an audio clip in Live again.
For some reason, that clip always just eventually stopped playing.
Some times it was after it played half of the clip, some times it was after it played 4 times with no problem,
and once it even played for 9 minutes (the duration of my track) with no problem whatsoever.
So there was NO logical reason for it to stop, because it never stopped at the same moment twice.
I NEVER figured out the problem, (I tried swapping ports, cables, rebooting,... everything I could possibly think of)
and just had to wait until I had my clip recorded properly once,
to then move on and not even use the clip in my finished track. :)

And tbh : I also never came across a problem like that in all those years.

Just trying to say : MIDI works great 95% of the time,
but when it doesn't, you're gonna pull your hair out, scratch your balls, and might eventually just ram a cactus up your anus out of pure frustration.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

so, did you get this problem fixed at all ?