Arturia Keystep / 37 / Pro. Who has one?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Arturia Keystep / 37 / Pro. Who has one?

Post by dubdub »

Does anyone here have one yet? I just heard about it today, seems like it's just coming out in europe. The idea is having a midi keyboard which doubles as a polyphonic arp and sequencer. I'm debating if I should get one since i'm looking for a small midikeyboard anyways and it's somewhat cheap at 120 euros. It doesn't have a lot of knobs/options but it seems to give you quite a bit of freedom in editing sequences/arps. But is it enough to make it versatile enough to compete vs. various software/hardware Arps and Seqs?

youtu.be/JAfn8xXqHMA

mr.chielos
Gnasher
Re: Arturia Keystep

Post by mr.chielos »

I'm perdy shure my limited amount of memory left will not be enough for all the key combo's!

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Keen to see the replies on this as I have have nothing but issues with Arturia. Well, the lack of support they provide.

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Bumping this thread so i dont have to make new one.
Today i bought keystep to play my model d but im having weird issue and it seems i cant find solution anywhere.

So lets say im playing note C on my keystep keyboard, as soon as i press record it seems like it transpose that note and suddenly its not C anymore. I enter some steps, press record again and its back at the C again..
Just like my record button is mapped to control the transpose or something.
Anybody got any suggestions, im desperate ?
Thanks

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Okay it seems like i fixed it

Ben Kohonays
Quaint

Post by Ben Kohonays »

zukenbauer wrote:
Mon Aug 20, 2018 9:53 pm
Okay it seems like i fixed it
But you're keeping the solution to yourself?
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Well, my synth global settings were messed up..
Im sure nobody will find this helpful at all

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

As we're on this topic, where in the hell is the keystep pro, maybe with bigger keys, that'll do say 4 or 8 midi devices at once? Been waiting for this ever since the keystep was announced. Thought it was a dead cert considering the beatstep / beatstep pro. Seems I was wrong. Too bad.

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Revaron wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 11:35 am
As we're on this topic, where in the hell is the keystep pro, maybe with bigger keys, that'll do say 4 or 8 midi devices at once? Been waiting for this ever since the keystep was announced. Thought it was a dead cert considering the beatstep / beatstep pro. Seems I was wrong. Too bad.
Yeah it would be great,, i would like to see overdubbing feature instead of overwrite.. 2 or more seq at the same time, it would be instant buy for me

BG++
rescued

Post by BG++ »

Mylarmelodies has done a good video showing some of its capabilities.

youtu.be/ElcD2rGi8Tg

Ben Kohonays
Quaint
Re:

Post by Ben Kohonays »

zukenbauer wrote:
Wed Aug 22, 2018 9:46 am
Well, my synth global settings were messed up..
Im sure nobody will find this helpful at all
Fair do's.
0dd wrote: Gotta love the subsekt derail ethic.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Arturia Keystep / 37 / Pro. Who has one?

Post by Críoch »

Another defrib'd re-sus of this thread..

Who here has one? Love it / hate it? Did you get rid of one for another?

Randomly saw a vid a few weeks ago.. could have been a Mylarmelody one.. with the original. Thought it was really impressive. Have checked out a few since, getting interested in the 37, then happening upon the pro. I didn't realise there were several versions.

I had the beatstep pro for about 2 weeks & sent it back. Couldn't vibe with it at all.. so I'm a bit hesitant about the keysteps.

Interested to hear if folk are still impressed with the creative juices & build quality of these units.

I'm leaning towards a 37 or a pro. Though it doesn't have strum, the KSP does seem to be the more complete featured package. The pro looks to be the only one with the welcome addition of a small speaker & metronome, as well as having those extra channels. Tbf.. its v.g value for what it is, giving the ability to jam out extra parts on top.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Circular
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Circular »

I had the pro for a while and didn't like it, too bloated with stuff I didn't really need. It also felt a bit... quirky. The 37 and the old keystep are much more useful for me. I can see the value the pro might have for other people's workflows though, so doesn't hurt to try out!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Cool. That's interesting man. Could totally see how that could be possible. It does seem like it's packed.

I'll be honest though.. I really miss how the MPC2500 could run synths. Was so cool tapping stuff in. I have push, but it hasn't really replaced that same vibe. I think iwould be more than happy with the 37.. but I can see the advantages of being able to run a few patterns simultaneously & bring parts on different synths in & out.

Yeah, could be worth demoing anyway 🙂
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Circular
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by Circular »

my advice: get the 37 and pro and try out both, see which one you like the most and send the other one back 8-) . I do really like the 37 though, very intuitive and fast, does the job really well. Doesn't get much better than that in terms of compact midi keyboards imo.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Lol @ both

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

Críoch wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 3:22 pm
Lol @ both
Keystep 37 currently on offer here https://www.bax-shop.co.uk/midi-keyboar ... i-keyboard

Not sure if thats good for you as I believe you're in Eire?

I may have accidentally :oops: :oops: :oops:

It just looks so friggin awesome in the mylarmelodies videos.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Man.. thats a very good price!

Thanks.for suggesting it. Yeah...I'm in the Republic, EU Baby. Days of buying stuff like that from the UK is over with customs etc..

I've returned a pair of trainers recently to the UK, even though I bought them through the irish version of the company. Anyway.. they've been lost.

Have a ticket open with them.. but I think there's definitely some reliability issues in the postal / courier services atm. Thoughts of having to send something back to the UK makes my balls shrivel 🙃

Had a synth go missing at Heathrow in Jan on way back to Thomann. It happens. UK is a bit fucked atm imo.

orchard
quasi-public

Post by orchard »

Críoch wrote:
Sat Feb 20, 2021 5:51 pm
Man.. thats a very good price!

Thanks.for suggesting it. Yeah...I'm in the Republic, EU Baby. Days of buying stuff like that from the UK is over with customs etc..

I've returned a pair of trainers recently to the UK, even though I bought them through the irish version of the company. Anyway.. they've been lost.

Have a ticket open with them.. but I think there's definitely some reliability issues in the postal / courier services atm. Thoughts of having to send something back to the UK makes my balls shrivel 🙃

Had a synth go missing at Heathrow in Jan on way back to Thomann. It happens. UK is a bit fucked atm imo.
Shit, that's terrible, although I can't say I'm that surprised, sadly :roll:

psicomagia
Alf Garnett

Post by psicomagia »

I got a pro last year. For me it's useful because of the cv outs. But I hated using it via MIDI, the clock on the midi out is completely off and the machine still have a lot of bugs and improvements to be made. I don't know if I'm keeping it for good, maybe just using it and waiting for an improved firmware update like the Beatstep got not long ago . But they pretty much released the software part of the sequencer unfinished imo. lol you can't even save or record the arpeggios on hold.