How to create this high sound

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
marcojacobs
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!
How to create this high sound

Post by marcojacobs »

Sup guys,

The last few hours I've been trying to create synth patch but have no luck yet.

It the sound that you hear at the drop of this track:

youtu.be/4li5eONwIdw

You can hear the sound at 1:30. It's the distorted synth arp, I don't know how to exactly describe it.

I hear this sound a lot in recent techno sounds, mostly Porc/truss techno.

If anybody could help me out, that would be much appreciated!

Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Re: How to create this high sound

Post by Planar »

Sounds like something passed through a heavy-ish bit reduction, perhaps the reverb tail of one of the elements like the kick.

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

it seems to be the same soundsource from beginning to end just automated and effected. Could be wrong but sounds like 303-ish saw square pattern. When it gets to the 1:30 mark like you were talking about it could be transposed down with the amp envelope and filter adjusted. Then it does sound like there is some sort of bit reduction. Could even be doubled. Sounds a bit meatier than before this point.
I could be way off though.
Tend to hear this alot coupled with 16th not closed hats with very short decay

marcojacobs
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by marcojacobs »

Thanks guys for your answers! I've e-mailled JoeFarr about his approach for this type of sound and he is more than happy to help me!

If anybody would like to know how this was made, I will post it here once I know :)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

buffered wrote:it seems to be the same soundsource from beginning to end just automated and effected. Could be wrong but sounds like 303-ish saw square pattern. When it gets to the 1:30 mark like you were talking about it could be transposed down with the amp envelope and filter adjusted. Then it does sound like there is some sort of bit reduction. Could even be doubled. Sounds a bit meatier than before this point.
I think he just took the 303 riff (whether or not this is a real 303 or not doesn't matter, it's most definitely a 303-style sound, no doubt about that),
and used the audio from that (most likely in a 2nd track taking the audio from the 303 track, and not just FX in the 303 track)
to send it through a bitcrusher/bit reduction FX, maybe combined with a ring modulator as well.
later on he sometimes just takes out the 303, but leaves the wet sound in.
ring mods are really good at adding extra high frequency content.

just took a brief try for 5 minutes :
used Phosycon and Decimort and pretty much already got in the ballpark.
then I added Live's freq shifter, a HP filter, and devastor, and things were even nicer.
not saying it's exactly that, but it's most definitely in the same area.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Will Frances
Gnasher

Post by Will Frances »

youtu.be/rrufy5GPDq4

Might be of interest, has a great way of explaining what hes doing. Seems like a nice guy also!

marcojacobs
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by marcojacobs »

Hades wrote:
buffered wrote:it seems to be the same soundsource from beginning to end just automated and effected. Could be wrong but sounds like 303-ish saw square pattern. When it gets to the 1:30 mark like you were talking about it could be transposed down with the amp envelope and filter adjusted. Then it does sound like there is some sort of bit reduction. Could even be doubled. Sounds a bit meatier than before this point.
I think he just took the 303 riff (whether or not this is a real 303 or not doesn't matter, it's most definitely a 303-style sound, no doubt about that),
and used the audio from that (most likely in a 2nd track taking the audio from the 303 track, and not just FX in the 303 track)
to send it through a bitcrusher/bit reduction FX, maybe combined with a ring modulator as well.
later on he sometimes just takes out the 303, but leaves the wet sound in.
ring mods are really good at adding extra high frequency content.

just took a brief try for 5 minutes :
used Phosycon and Decimort and pretty much already got in the ballpark.
then I added Live's freq shifter, a HP filter, and devastor, and things were even nicer.
not saying it's exactly that, but it's most definitely in the same area.
Wow, thanks a lot for this answer!! One question.. What exactly do you do with the freq shifter?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

marcojacobs wrote:Thanks guys for your answers! I've e-mailled JoeFarr about his approach for this type of sound and he is more than happy to help me!

If anybody would like to know how this was made, I will post it here once I know :)

IF?

IF?!

FUCKING IFFF?!?!?!!!

Of course we want to know. Post it asafp please otherwise I'll ban you :mrgreen: :lol: 8-)

JoeFarr is cool.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

marcojacobs wrote:
Wow, thanks a lot for this answer!! One question.. What exactly do you do with the freq shifter?
not sure if you use Live,
but yeah, the freq shifter in live doesn't have a huge amount of options that you can use.
Try the shift and ring buttons, turn on the drive (and make sure you open it (the dB meter underneath the button) ) when you use the ring button,
then go ahead and turn the Frequency and Fine knobs.
The result obviously greatly depends on the frequency content of the sound that you run through it.
In this case, for example, I was surprised I had to turn down the knobs mostly instead of turning them up, but I just used the 1st arp riff that 303 clone loaded up with, so yeah...

Honestly, I used to use the freq shifter a LOT a few years ago when I made tons of patches with Analog/Simpler/Sampler/...
and I don't think I used the left part of the FX more than 5% of the times. :)

But looking at that video Will posted, I doubt Joefarr did it that way.
I just thought about how I would go about creating such a high frequency content kind of riff.
and yeah, that bright, slightly ringy stuff is pretty easily done with a bitcrusher and/or freq shifter.
Joefarr probably did that with his Elektron gear somehow, but yeah, sometimes you just gotta try and do with what you have and a lot of times there are more ways to achieve a certain kind of sound, even if it ain't a 100% perfect match.
It's all about experimentation.

gotta go now, that video cunt Will posted earlier already took up 15 minutes (and then another interesting video, yet another 15 minutes, and then...) ;)
I should try and learn to shut down internet when properly working on tracks. :oops:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Críoch wrote:
marcojacobs wrote:Thanks guys for your answers! I've e-mailled JoeFarr about his approach for this type of sound and he is more than happy to help me!

IF?

IF?!

FUCKING IFFF?!?!?!!!

Of course we want to know. Post it asafp please otherwise I'll ban you :mrgreen: :lol: 8-)

JoeFarr is cool.
gotta admit, kind of thought the same thing,
don't open up a topic asking us,
then keeping the correct answer from the man himself just to yourself !
fucking share that shit, you cunt ! :D ;)

marcojacobs
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by marcojacobs »

Hades wrote:
Críoch wrote:

IF?

IF?!

FUCKING IFFF?!?!?!!!

JoeFarr is cool.
gotta admit, kind of thought the same thing,
don't open up a topic asking us,
then keeping the correct answer from the man himself just to yourself !
fucking share that shit, you cunt ! :D ;)
Hahaha sorry guys, ofcourse I will post it as soon as he's messaged me back. And again, thanks for the help! Now go finish a track you!

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

:D
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Críoch wrote::D
Which one are you John ?
Are you trying to be mysterious ?
críoch (Irish) :

1.noun
2. end
3. boundary, limit
4. region, territory
5. furrow
6. purpose
:?:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Who's this? Huh? Who's this??!! Prank call!! Prank call!!!