---- Elektron User Topic -----

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: ---- Elektron User Topic -----

Post by Lost to the Void »

Dumping samples on to a MD is something like flipping a coin and waiting for it to land on its side.
It can happen, but it is unlikely.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:Dumping samples on to a MD is something like flipping a coin and waiting for it to land on its side.
It can happen, but it is unlikely.

seriously ?
I mean, they can't find a way to fix that ?

so that means what, you can pretty much only use the samples inside the MD ?

I am not interested in any elektron gear at all for the moment,
but to me this problem sounds like totally stupid...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

It`s because you have to transmit the samples over midi, there is no usb on the MD, so it`s like a sysex dump, only kinda hit and miss. Quite often the MD can just crap out during the transfer.
Midi wasn`t really designed for that.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ah yeah, now I get it,
my Xbase888 has the same option, but as soon as I read that you're transferring samples via MIDI,
I just zoomed out...
Seriously, MIDI is version 1.0 since 1983, so yeah... :)

herbaltea
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by herbaltea »

Hi all, first time posting, just looking for some suggestions. I cant really stick to ableton nowadays and I'm looking for a new workflow approach. Apart from that I currently own the Roland tr-8 but I can't seem to get a full hands on approach to work with both ableton and the tr-8 at the same time. So I was looking to start my true journey on the hardware side of things. By far Elektron seem like a good choice to dive your head right into a machine and create some sounds, eventually get ideas to start of a track. In conclusion what would you guys think would be suitable for a first Elektron machine out of the 3? Hope this post isn't out of topic and thanks in advance.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Tough. I would say analog four as it can do drums and synths.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Also. Mmmmmm my sexy new elektron stand

New Shit

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Is this a custom stand Steve? Need one as well, RYTM will arrive soon.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I got something blue that would match in there perfectly...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mono-xID wrote:Is this a custom stand Steve? Need one as well, RYTM will arrive soon.
Yeah, they come in bare wood, so you can paint em how you want.
I drilled some holes for the vents on the A4 (though elektron say you can cover them as long as the bottom vents are open). You could always ask the guy to predrill the vents.
Very affordable too, some of these guys want nearly 100 jib for their poxy plastic stands.
If you want I'll link you up.
He does single tier, 2 tier and 3 tier.
New Shit

herbaltea
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by herbaltea »

Cheers for the suggestion, Elektron A4 was my first pick. Just have to save a couple of coins now. Nice stand by the way. Thanks !

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

I find the A4 quite hard to program. It has tons of options but the sound is a bit hmm I wouldn't say weak but it does not sound as raw or brutal as most other analogue synths.
It might be my lack of programming skills but I find it hard to get decent sounds out of it. Using it mainly for small bits here and there.
There are soundbanks online with really nice and punchy drums though.
I sold the octatrack as it doesn't allow import of recycle and midi files and it is a pain slicing manually (most recorded loops are not spot on so if a note comes in a bit more early the ot cuts its beginning as it cuts without looking at transients) and groove quantize isn't possible. The optiopns are awesome but it won't replace a conventional sampler in my eyes.
I love the rytm. The engines cover a really wide spectrum and sound loud and punchy. Samples through the analog pathway sound beautiful (also the sample transfer still is a nightmare) and for a drum machine it gives maximum flexibility with an extra amp envelope additionally to the drumengines decay parameter, a good multimode filter with an envelope and analogue overdrive on every channel. It also is really nice to jam with using mutes, scene mode and performance mode. recently bought a mfb tanzmaus (before the update) and returned it instantly as it isn't anywhere near the impact of the drums the rytm does.
The rytm is a lot of fun to play with. I am sure you could do whole songs with it. If you haven'T seen I would recoemmnd to check this : https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-jbudplqRlU

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

herbaltea wrote:Cheers for the suggestion, Elektron A4 was my first pick. Just have to save a couple of coins now. Nice stand by the way. Thanks !
Just had a quick listen to the U.1A track, really nice track man.
Notion is pretty nice as well.
You got this nice melancholic vibe in your tracks, I really like it.

looking forward to listening to these in the studio instead of on headphones...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

yentz wrote:I find the A4 quite hard to program. It has tons of options but the sound is a bit hmm I wouldn't say weak but it does not sound as raw or brutal as most other analogue synths.
lU
Raw and brutal is not a sound I would associate with the majority of analogue synths I have experienced in my 24 years of working with them.
Saying that I have released a fair few tracks that contain A4 sounds that are raw and brutal.
New Shit

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

Mono-xID wrote:Is this a custom stand Steve? Need one as well, RYTM will arrive soon.
I make these bamboo low stands if you're looking for another option:

also will have some high stands ready soon designed so you can stick other tabletop gear in front of them (there's 3.5" clearance in the front for a modular skiff, effects, other synths, etc)

/shill

herbaltea
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by herbaltea »

Hades wrote:
herbaltea wrote:Cheers for the suggestion, Elektron A4 was my first pick. Just have to save a couple of coins now. Nice stand by the way. Thanks !

Appreciate your comments man. :mrgreen: Having a listen to Underwater Love on your SC. Really takes you places. Superb sounds.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Hades wrote:

well, just listened to most of your tracks in the studio now.
really nice stuff in there man, check your SC for more comments ;)

yentz
site spammer

Post by yentz »

Lost to the Void wrote:
yentz wrote:I find the A4 quite hard to program. It has tons of options but the sound is a bit hmm I wouldn't say weak but it does not sound as raw or brutal as most other analogue synths.
lU
Raw and brutal is not a sound I would associate with the majority of analogue synths I have experienced in my 24 years of working with them.
Saying that I have released a fair few tracks that contain A4 sounds that are raw and brutal.
Well I guess describing and experiencing sounds is a very subjective thing. For me an unfiltered oscillator sounds quite raw and intense when coming from a miniatur or minibrute compared to the waveforms of an a4 (these are the synths I have here to compare). Anyway some people ran the A4 through an oscilloscope and the waveforms loose symmetry down the octaves (no pulse mod or anything - just the pure waveform) which is the reason for it sounding not nearly as strong as a moog for example (I think this was one of the other synths they compared it to). The graphics of the oscilloscope are up on elektronauts I think. Don't get me wrong I like the machine and I have one myself but I personally find it rather hard to get something out of it. If you have a good preset I am more than happy to change my opinion about it :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

The minibrute, ignoring the brute factor feedback dial, is one of the cleanest and smoothest of the cheap analogs out there.
That`s it`s charm, designed by a uber nerd and as a result it has a beautifully clean and pure sound you would expect to pay a lot more for.
It`s actually why I sold mine, I wanted a grot box, but this thing sounded too much like an expensive (albeit mono) analog.

I`m not giving any of my sounds away, but some of the synth work on recent releases has the A4 on it. I mean you do have to work with it, but I got some pretty banging sounds out of the thing.
It isn`t the easiest thing to program for sure.
I mean I like it, it`s not the best thing out there, or the worst, I got it for playing live, and for that it is great.
New Shit

xonetacular
Gnasher

Post by xonetacular »

finally arrived and looking good in black