Akai drum machine

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
zukenbauer
You only live once
Akai drum machine

Post by zukenbauer »

So i have some spare money and thinking about buying some drum machine.. i saw akai rhytm wolf and akai tom cat for 200€.
Anybody own this? What you think about it?

Mono-xID
Uumfääng
Re: Akai drum machine

Post by Mono-xID »

zukenbauer wrote:So i have some spare money and thinking about buying some drum machine.. i saw akai rhytm wolf and akai tom cat for 200€.
It's crap, save more money.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Ty!!

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

Waste of your money!
Get some extra cash and buy something else.
What are you looking for exactly?

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Maybe tr8.. i watched a lot of videos and looks great.. i want something that i can use for experimenting with drums and something thats quality enough to put it in production, not just for fun

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Also some decent pallete of drum samples.. what else could i wanted from drum machine? :p

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

If you are looking for a controller thingy drumcomputer you can buy a Maschine MK1 for that amount. The sound pallete is really wide. But it can not be used standalone.
As a standalone drummachine the TR-8 is really good in my opinion.
If you want the ability to load samples then maybe a old Korg electribe sampler is an option. These go around 350 euro.

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Im gonna see what are differences between tr8 and mk1 and see what suits me best.. what you mean when you say it cannot be used standalone.
Thanks for your help though

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

You'll need a computer to use machine
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

zukenbauer wrote:So i have some spare money and thinking about buying some drum machine.. i saw akai rhytm wolf and akai tom cat for 200€.
its basic and cheap. ive been tempted myself before. im sure it would be fine smashed through a sherman or whatever lol
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Well i think it doesent matter for me now cus i do everyhing in the box anyway.. thanks, will take mk1 in consideration

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

zukenbauer wrote:Im gonna see what are differences between tr8 and mk1 and see what suits me best.. what you mean when you say it cannot be used standalone.
Thanks for your help though
No offence, but when you want to spend money (even small amounts) it's better to do your homework properly.

This is what's possible with your budget (and comes up in my mind immediately):

Machine MK1 (200 euro second hand price).
The MFB522 is also in your budget (200€ second hand price); bare in mind that this is a 808 clone.
The Volca beats (140 euro new).
Korg ER1 mk1 and mk2 (175 euro second hand price).
I don't mention the AKAI's because they are not worth mentioning them. These boxes get really bad reviews and suck balls!

WOLF!
Grand

Post by WOLF! »

zukenbauer wrote:Well i think it doesent matter for me now cus i do everyhing in the box anyway.. thanks, will take mk1 in consideration
I guess it will be the Maschine MK1 or the Push1 then.

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Of course, no rush.. i dont have time now anyway so ill wait a bit.. and my budget will grow bigger :)

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

P.s. this will be my first drum machine so maybe i dont even need somethingg too expensive

buffered
Freestyler

Post by buffered »

If this is your first drum machine i'd agree with WOLF! and take a look at the MFB boxes. They are simple enough to figure out, have strong sound and are very versatile ie. lend nicely to effects.
522 is nice though if the budget can stretch, the new Tanzmaus has sample load capabilities.
Check out the youtube channel of KiNK. He has many videos rinsing these boxes.
The Korg er1 is a nice box too though the sounds are not as defined as an mfb and can be really boomy and rounded. Definitely not just a drum synth.
A Maschine mk1 is also an option as WOLF! pointed out though you would be buying into an older product that is dependant on a software/computer. Licensing transfers etc.
If the Maschine route, maybe good to look at an mpc1000 and load it with some good samples.
or yeah…the tr8

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

The Novation Circuit could be a leftfield choice, albeit with a bit of work. You can load samples into it now and have access to the synth via an editor. So spend a bit of time synthesising some drum parts in the editor, choose some nice macros and bonza, a cheap, standalone sampler and drum synth. But actually with a proper synth there if you want that as well. I think it can do polyrythms as well.

wormcode
unsure

Post by wormcode »

WOLF! wrote:I don't mention the AKAI's because they are not worth mentioning them. These boxes get really bad reviews and suck balls!
Akai has really fallen off in the last few years. Even their pads have taken a dive which they were known for being the best in the industry for a decade++. : /

Gotta say though I'm still a fan of the TR-606 and 707. Can be found cheap and there's even a dedicated modding scene for them. Can find cool modded ones on ebay sometimes. JoMoX makes excellent drum machines as well. The MBase is great fun.

zukenbauer
You only live once

Post by zukenbauer »

Drowning in options now :roll: but thank you all, will take a walk through the web and choose something

mr.chielos
Gnasher

Post by mr.chielos »

Where do do you find a 606 or a 707 for cheap?
They are getting quite expensive over here!

Do you already have other equipment or is it your first hardware? While mfb, 606 etc are cool they shure do need processing. also, how are you recording? A computer, mixer? How many outputs do you want on your drummachine? If you just want a standalone box I'd recommend mpc, rm1x, electribes or something similar. Lot's of fun and cheap