PSP Vintage Warmer on Each Track?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
borg
Lifer
Re: PSP Vintage Warmer on Each Track?

Post by borg »

Hades wrote: echoboy and vintagewarmer ??
Echoboy and Satin (not VW)
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

borg wrote:
Hades wrote: echoboy and vintagewarmer ??
Echoboy and Satin (not VW)

ok, explain which parts you think are overlapping ?
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Echoboy does have lovely saturation.

So does Nasty DLA, BootEQ, thrillseekervbl and thrillseekerla, ferric tds, tesla pro, all from Variety of sound.

In fact if you haven't downloaded the variety of sound suite of plugins, punch yourself in the face for being a numpty and download them immediately. They are awesome. I don't think I have made any music for a long time that does not use at least 1 of his plugins.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

ThrillseekerXTC is a lot of fun on groups. I'm not sure what exactly the buttons do in terms of numeric values, but it does seem to do it's job and excite things :)

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

Hades wrote:
borg wrote:Echoboy and Satin (not VW)
ok, explain which parts you think are overlapping ?
I must confess I haven't used Satin yet, I don't wanna buy yet another vst, it's been enough lately. You know how it goes when you demo stuff, hear something you like and end up buying without needing. I just saw the first video of Satin, as a tape emulator. Not something I need at all before making decent music.
Anyway, on first sight, Satin looks like a tape emu that can be used as a delay/modulation fx, and Echoboy is a delay/mod fx that could be used as a tape emu. Not that I have been using EB like that, just something I dabbled with a few times.

On Echoboy, turn feedback and time all the way down and mix full wet, then in the style pane choose one of the tape models to 'colour' the sound. You have various tapes to choose from, eq, warble, it ranges from very subtle to the extreme.
I guess that's one overlapping feature. In this regard Satin has indeed more features (groups, encoding/decoding,...), but that isn't going to make my music any better...

I'm on OSX, so unfortunately no VOS apart from the SlickEQ he did with TDR.
Andy

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Again that fails to understand what tape emulation is.
Satin is pretty much the only emulation apart from Nebula emulations and UAD.

I had a bit of an obsession with reel to reel that started when I worked in an all analog studio years ago.
Anyway, I went through a period of restoring and modifying reel to reel machines to get a perfect machine for my mastering studio a few years back as I wanted a reliable way of getting tape in to my chain as it provides certain characteristics nothing else could capture.
I eventually ended up with an ideal machine (modified studer g36, revalved, cleaner signal path and a 30ips mod) and it was great but.... Tape is relatively hard to source. Not many people make it. And tape machines require constant maintenance and calibration (my machine was built in the 60's). As my studio became more busy, maintenance costs cor the machine were adding up, so I wanted a software solution. I tried everything and nothing captured tape properly.
Up to the point where Satin came out, nothing did capture tape properly, and with it I managed to very closely emulate my ideal machine.

Tape sound, reel to reel, is not just saturation, it's a simultaneous combination of preamp saturation, dynamic shaping of the tape and head interaction, the pre and post eq bias and accompanying re level saturation.
I look at tape as a type of compression, but it acts like no other type of compression. Its like a combination of super modern look ahead instant reaction software compression combined with vintage feedback compression, that also saturates.
As a mastering tool it is wonderful.

Now something like echoboy does emulate tape delay, but not tape. Its emulating the delay characteristics of a tape delay, but not the other stuff.

Satin is the business basically, on the master buss, if you get the settings right, and you do have to dive in to the advanced settings, it tighens and glues the mix, polishes transients, gives control and "oomph" as well as some colour and harmonic richness.
It's a magic bullet that I have not found an alternative to and it gives that final cherry on top for a nice final mixdown.

Do you need it?
That's up to you.
New Shit

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

To this day I've still never used the delay or flanger in Satin. It is unbelievable on the master bus in studio mode. If it were a girl I'd marry it.

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

thanks for your insights, Void! I'll take your experienced word for it. I'll have to demo it sometime then.
Again, not claiming anything, I was just wondering, as Echoboy has a few 'styles' taken from an Ampex 102, 15/30ips, and all the jive in the manual about tape compression, saturation and whatnot:
Master Tape: Subtle tape compression and distortion, modeled after the Ampex ATR-102 we have in our lab, running at 30 ips. High-Fidelity, but smooth and musically pleasing, saturates very nicely.
Studio Tape: Subtle distortion and high frequency compression modeled after the ATR-102 running at 15 ips, typical of the sound of tracking to studio tape.
).

It's what we have to do after all: use things what they're not intended for and look for interesting results. Using Echoboy as described above certainly adds a lot of sonic possibilities (especially with the dirtier styles), but maybe not the perfect tape emu as Satin seems to be then.
Andy

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Echoboy is like an exaggeration of reel to reel.
Its what people who have never used a tape machine think tape sounds like.
I use it for spludgy colour and stuff, but wouldnt stick it on the 2buss.
If you even look at the language they use to describe what it does, its not really describing tape. I mean sure, tape can distort, but it doesnt by default, tape can be ultra clean and pure.....
Yeah, I love soundtoys, ecboboy is a great delay with tape characteristics , but Satin is reel to reel emulation.
New Shit

modularity
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by modularity »

If you use Pro Tools I recommend the tape head saturator from Massey. Super cheap and high quality plugins. You can try the demos as long as you want. only limitation on the demo version is that you can't save presets. The CT5 compressor is also top notch and is heavy used in the audio industry.

Otherwise would also recommend U-HE Satin, FabFilter Saturn or Sound Toys Decapitator