A couple of Electro flavoured tracks

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Revaron
reverse genius
A couple of Electro flavoured tracks

Post by Revaron »

Sorry, they're not techno. But I am also working on some techno so I'll put some up soon enough to rectify things. In the meantime, I've been working on these electro sort of numbers as well and am interested to know what people think of them.

https://soundcloud.com/revaron/fg-test/s-RUJ2F

https://soundcloud.com/revaron/mf-test/s-NK8Yd

Edit - I couldn't get the soundcloud embed thingy to work - it just brought up two blank soundcloud boxes, can anyone advise as to what I may have been doing wrong? I tried using the private url as well as the normal one, same result, is it because they are set to private?

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Re: A couple of Electro flavoured tracks

Post by jordanneke »

Listened to the first one.

It really reminded me of the video game Out-Run or Streets of rage.

I really like it. The only thing that I'd like to hear is some sort of break in the second half. It's quite maximal, and a little tiring on the ears. Maybe the bass could drop out for a while?

Good skills though

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

jordanneke wrote:Listened to the first one.

It really reminded me of the video game Out-Run or Streets of rage.

I really like it. The only thing that I'd like to hear is some sort of break in the second half. It's quite maximal, and a little tiring on the ears. Maybe the bass could drop out for a while?

Good skills though
Thanks for checking it out. It did end up pretty damn maximal, which was kind of my intention, but I originally had some vocoded lyrics which I just couldn't get to fit, but they were sort of intended to break it up a bit, so yeah I'll give that a go, maybe drop the bass and fuck with the uber digital bit or something along those lines. These are the first tunes I've posted on here and this is the sort of useful feedback I was hoping to get, so I really appreciate that.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Is it electro???

I like the tunes, they sound like great soundtrack tunes to 80`s style cyberpunk computer games, the mixes overall sound quite constrained.
the lows don`t seem to be low enough, the highs not bright enough, and overall the mix seems to lack dynamics (and stereo width).

I`d say the mixes could do with really opening up, both dynamically and in terms of space for the sounds to fill.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

Lost to the Void wrote:Is it electro???

I like the tunes, they sound like great soundtrack tunes to 80`s style cyberpunk computer games, the mixes overall sound quite constrained.
the lows don`t seem to be low enough, the highs not bright enough, and overall the mix seems to lack dynamics (and stereo width).

I`d say the mixes could do with really opening up, both dynamically and in terms of space for the sounds to fill.
Lol, I really chuckled at 'is it electro', cause I dunno either! Not really sure what to call them, but cause they were break based I just thought electro, but yeah who knows, haha

Anyway, I truly appreciate the comments. I can work on getting the lows lower and brightening up the highs, but I'll be honest, in terms of improving dynamics I'm not entirely sure where to turn. I actually had a stab at the 'home mastering' technique that you posted in order to get them a bit louder, so perhaps I've overdone it? I'll try backing off on that and see how it goes. And with regards to the stereo width, it always feels weird to me when I pan stuff quite hard either way, but I guess I should just get over that and give it a go?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

It could well be the final compression, it can eat the top end.

I wouldn`t say you need wild panning, but a little more stereo presence would be nice, again it gives the sounds a little more room to breathe
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

Lost to the Void wrote:It could well be the final compression, it can eat the top end.

I wouldn`t say you need wild panning, but a little more stereo presence would be nice, again it gives the sounds a little more room to breathe

Right, I'll back it off and see how it goes. This sort of fine tuning is something I've never really bothered with so I'm pretty much at trial and error stage. And yeah I'll try and spread them out a bit, the first one in particular is busy as hell so I'll have a good play with the stereo and see if I can improve it. Again, thanks for taking the time to listen!

shashaf
washable

Post by shashaf »

Hi,

Sound seems good but only thing that could really be better is the arrangement.
Make it a story worth listening.
Take a similar track and listen to the layers in the track and how it is arranged.
After 3 or 4 tracks you will get the hang of it and there will be no more need the peek at other tracks.

Cheers

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

shashaf wrote:Hi,

Sound seems good but only thing that could really be better is the arrangement.
Make it a story worth listening.
Take a similar track and listen to the layers in the track and how it is arranged.
After 3 or 4 tracks you will get the hang of it and there will be no more need the peek at other tracks.

Cheers
Thanks for listening! I've been playing around with the first one to try and change it up a bit in places, trying a few different things to see how it could be more interesting and less full on at the same time. In terms of wholesale changes I'm not really sure where else I would go with either at this point, but I'll give it consideration. I quite like making it a story worth listening to as a guiding principle, so I'll keep that in mind and continue to tinker.

Revaron
reverse genius

Post by Revaron »

So I've got some updated mixes uploaded. Although I've been playing with the arrangement, on the first one at least, I haven't hit on anything I'm happy with yet, so for now they are just updated mixes. Being more adventurous with the panning has definitely helped I think, the top end stands out a bit more, and the bottom end as well if not to the same extent. I'm not sure that the dynamics have improved. To be honest I think I am approaching the current limits of both my abilities and equipment. Anyway, here they are for anyone who wants a further listen:

https://soundcloud.com/revaron/fg-test-2/s-c33yG

https://soundcloud.com/revaron/mf-test-2/s-80DgS