Failed.

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
seanocean
Jan : )
Failed.

Post by seanocean »

So I know i suck at making tracks but i have a decent ear.. (i think :? ) but sometimes i'm not exactly hearing what other people hear or i go for pea soup mixes.. probably the big failing here as well.

anyway i subbed this for a remix contest comp awhile ago, I really dig the label and they have a lot of good releases. i enter these as mostly to get a sense of practice. cause every time i enter, i've learned something. safe to say this time again, i didn't win.. out of something like 250 entries, mine didn't make the cut.

so in an effort to increase my understanding, i'm trying to see what you think i'm doing wrong here and please don't hold back any criticism. all feedback is welcome.

| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

terryfalafel
Component
Re: Failed.

Post by terryfalafel »

I can't really comment on the mix except to say it sounds fine on headphones.

This is a cool track and there's nothing wrong with it; it's just a drum workout. I know there was some criticism of the original track cos it was pretty uninteresting, so I'd say that if you took this track and added a couple of simple but strong musical ideas, you'd have something decent. As it stands, there's nothing really memorable about it.

Definitely nothing wrong with what you've done so far to my ears - it just needs some more stuff...

seanocean
Jan : )

Post by seanocean »

Thanks terry, i feel like this is the first real track where i felt confident i knew what the hell i wanted to do.. otherwise i usually just try to forcefully kick the door down in order to get the track to a finished state.

could work harder to get the mix to translate better next time but i feel like i can and will do way better down the road. Truly appreciate the listen/ feedback. :)
| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Obviously, soundcloud mush....

but the mix sounds fine to me.
I`m sitting here listening in the mastering studio and it holds together pretty well.
the mix might be slightly under represented in the top end, but it`s not crying out for more content there.
Maybe some other sound to fill in the high end between the very high frequency at the top of those hats.
But yeah, not bad at all, keep on doing what you are doing.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

kirkwoodwest
quasi-public

Post by kirkwoodwest »

Sean you rule man! Glad to hear some finished material from you!
----------------------------------------------------------------------------
http://soundcloud.com/kirkwoodwest/

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

Interesting track, sounds like "attack material" for a mix, don't know if it means something.
Something you would use to go a step harder or make a transition.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

I thought it was really well produced.

I just lacked something, another sound, to get me hooked. It needed a hook I guess.