Im realy confused need some advice

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Anatas
Interact. Don't Spam.
Im realy confused need some advice

Post by Anatas »

Hello guys!

I'm new on Subsekt it's my first post in any electronic music forum :)
First i read a lot and found helpful advice but my problem seems to be in making melodies
since i have watched some videos people talking about stuff like "one note to rule them all"
and stuff like that. I'm making music for around 5-6 years since i was 15 years old i guess.
So lets get back to my problem! I'm realy that type of guy who wants to make the sounds
by experimenting but i always get stuck because im so unsure about that quote "one note
to rule them all" how can i make melodic changes in sound with just one note? just with
filters? i always listen to tracks and feel like there is not much progression in the synth it just
sounds like automation of filters, velocity, drive, LFO and so on. Some time ago when i was
realy hyped working with a computer i made decent techno tracks without any problem :x
I always try to make everything in key the root note but when i open a step sequencer
there is such an amazing spectrum of sounds and its confusing me since years already
can someone explain me some basic rules or i'm just stupid since i often think there cant
be such rules i hope you get my point there.

example of melodic changes how is he doing it seems pretty basic i don't get it :cry:
youtu.be/HHIEqdOic9w

regards

TomasHD
slipper
Re: Im realy confused need some advice

Post by TomasHD »

I don't exactly understand what your saying. But I get that you saw that John Selway dubspot video on youtube. (relying on youtube tutorials won't make you a musician)
Melodies are melodies. use arps, staccato notes, chords, etc. whatever sounds good to you. You should know this already if you have been producing for 6 years.
Keep in mind two things: Syncopation and the context were sounds are used.

Techno is like every other music genre out there, it has a musical structure (very simple compared to others).

You already have the elements for doing what you looking for. Just experiment your sounds with layers, resampling and whatever comes to your mind, there is no rocket science here.
Its a matter of creativity.

Chizmata
quasi-public

Post by Chizmata »

if you wanna use more than one note, just do it. its not forbidden or sth... its totally possible to catch the techno spirit with melodic and harmonic progressions.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Anatas wrote:Hello guys!

I'm new on Subsekt it's my first post in any electronic music forum :)
First i read a lot and found helpful advice but my problem seems to be in making melodies
since i have watched some videos people talking about stuff like "one note to rule them all"
and stuff like that. I'm making music for around 5-6 years since i was 15 years old i guess.
So lets get back to my problem! I'm realy that type of guy who wants to make the sounds
by experimenting but i always get stuck because im so unsure about that quote "one note
to rule them all" how can i make melodic changes in sound with just one note? just with
filters? i always listen to tracks and feel like there is not much progression in the synth it just
sounds like automation of filters, velocity, drive, LFO and so on. Some time ago when i was
realy hyped working with a computer i made decent techno tracks without any problem :x
I always try to make everything in key the root note but when i open a step sequencer
there is such an amazing spectrum of sounds and its confusing me since years already
can someone explain me some basic rules or i'm just stupid since i often think there cant
be such rules i hope you get my point there.

example of melodic changes how is he doing it seems pretty basic i don't get it :cry:
youtu.be/HHIEqdOic9w

regards
gotta remember that the above track isn't exactly a good example.
It's a typical distorted 303, which is known as a sound that can carry a whole track,
though to be honest I found this track rather boring.
And if I'm not mistaken the 303 pattern/melody plays ins 3/4, which gives the track its forward drive.

What exactly is your question ?
If you want to use less notes, then use less notes,
if you want to use melodies, then use melodies.
I come from a classical music background, so melodies are never a problem to me, but the rhythmic stuff is.
I always have to force myself to use less notes, but I still usually end up with some kind of mixture between house and techno.
Who really cares anyway ?
If it sounds good than it sounds good.
Just make what you feel like making.

and welcome to subsekt ! ;)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Make everything clash. Sooooo 2017
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

mr.chielos
Gnasher

Post by mr.chielos »

Schwarzenator

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

Hi Anatas,

the only way for you to cut through all the crap on the interwebs is to use your brain and filter stuff on your own. I'd be confused as well if i took "one note to rule them all" (whatever that means) for granted. There are so many people who will tell you their unique bullshit in a pursuit to build a following. And YTs great related bullshit algo will wash up videos by folks who took over the crap, spreading some weird myth.

Furthermore, i'll line up with the guys who didn't get your question either ;) Please clarify - thank you!

samnatur
sad bastard

Post by samnatur »

You just named some of the ways to make it progress in your opening post. LFO's, filters, automations, envelopes. All of that is good. Spam a chord and automate something :mrgreen:

Use the effects to make the melodies. If you start out with one chord then u want another chord you can make a return effect channel, put a high pass filter on it, then a delay, then a distortion at the end and bam, you have a new chord, and it's gonna feel like it's "higher" in the melody. This is just an example of course.

But then again I'm not very sure what your question is, how to keep one note interesting?

1nfinitezer0
Tiesto

Post by 1nfinitezer0 »

Rule #1. There are no rules
Rule #2. Follow the rules unless you know why you are breaking them

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

There are two things in life, things that sound good and things that sounds not so good. The rest will come by itself once you figure out what you think sounds good.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Go mad. Play two notes while buffing your gimp mask ..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I'm still not clear on what advice e is wanted. I don't really understand the original post.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

surface wrote:Go mad. Play two notes while buffing your gimp mask ..
two notes ??? TWO NOTES !!!!
ow the horror !!!!
:shock: :?
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

The example track has 5 or 6 notes in it, possibly another couple in the variations I didn't listen intently to everything. it is also transposing the melody up an octave or two, so its the same notes, but higher in pitch.
Finally, the sound is a saw wave with a lpf on it. Alter the cutoff, resonance and filter envelope shape as the track progresses. This produces timbre or tone changes, ie, how it sounds, but not the melody. Put a lot of distortion on it after the filter and you'll be in the ballpark. Have a lot of resonance and it'll do that tearing screaming squeal which is acid

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Lost to the Void wrote:I'm still not clear on what advice e is wanted. I don't really understand the original post.
Really confused and need some advice? :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

surface wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:I'm still not clear on what advice e is wanted. I don't really understand the original post.
Really confused and need some advice? :D

Yes really, but do you have the time?
I'm at a strange point in my life, and I am very confused and lost about what to do.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

hjahah dude, john selway was showing you a bassline technique. There is no bassline in the track u showed us. there's a distorted tb-303.

cheers.
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction