Artists that are assholes

General Chat // Music Discussion
Intellekt
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!
Re: Artists that are assholes

Post by Intellekt »

I agree with Void. People in these top tier positions know how many people would kill to be in their shoes. Some apparently just let it get to their heads and ditch being humble.

Forgot to mention at an hour before Bailey's slot was supposed to end he said he doesn't want to play anymore, and a bit after that he's done playing.
He was just acting like a child. Top gentleman.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

TimBuys wrote:This track though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbcej7xR3ysugh..
sounds like a pink unicorn wearing sunglasses shitting on it`s own face?
Is this what the man is up to these days?

Jesus, it`s worse than I thought.
Someone needs to revoke his Techno club membership.

Judging by his last promo photo, someone already has

Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Lost to the Void wrote:
TimBuys wrote:This track though https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Jbcej7xR3ysugh..

Now I have REALLY high expectations from your productions ;). Was that photo from your personal file lol

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

TimBuys wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

Now I have REALLY high expectations from your productions ;). Was that photo from your personal file lol

Well I don`t claim to make better music, but I definitely don`t make gay unicorn tech house
New Shit

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Mslwte wrote:I thought everyone here liked asshole?
Only your mum's 8-)

Sorry, just had to.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

jordanneke wrote:
Mslwte wrote:I thought everyone here liked asshole?
Only your mum's 8-)

Sorry, just had to.
It tastes good doesn't it :D
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Lost to the Void wrote:
I have a genuine fear this will be me in a few years.

paul-slacknoise
Face Hugger

Post by paul-slacknoise »

I used to like the music of Seth Troxler and went to a few events here in Zürich when he was here playing on a festival. I was in general disappointed by the acts music wise. Then i watched this movie here on youtube and thought what a douchy guy this is. Self consumed self loving egocentric kid.

youtu.be/EIKRB8Z0RZs

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

He's just a dude, before judging realize that what he is saying are answers to questions.

But what do i know, I cant even name one tune he's done.

sinesnsnares
Pig

Post by sinesnsnares »

I feel 50/50 about that video when i saw it. On the one hand, he seems a bit dickish/pretentious, but he also talks about how he likes playing side stages at festivals because it's a way for people to discover music. The moment where he gets angry with his assistant or whatever, it kinda highlights two things: balancing being professional (Ie, punctual) with being "fun," and the awkardness of your friends working for you when you may need to treat them like employees. At first i thought "wow, this guys seems like a prick," but when i thought about it more, it started to seem more like someone who tries to come across to the public as a "bubbly and fun," joker, but just doesn't have the mental energy to keep it up in private.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

sinesnsnares wrote:I feel 50/50 about that video when i saw it. On the one hand, he seems a bit dickish/pretentious, but he also talks about how he likes playing side stages at festivals because it's a way for people to discover music. The moment where he gets angry with his assistant or whatever, it kinda highlights two things: balancing being professional (Ie, punctual) with being "fun," and the awkardness of your friends working for you when you may need to treat them like employees. At first i thought "wow, this guys seems like a prick," but when i thought about it more, it started to seem more like someone who tries to come across to the public as a "bubbly and fun," joker, but just doesn't have the mental energy to keep it up in private.
agreed with that one.

there were actually quite a few video's of Seth were he was just totally unprofessional
(that video were he was so wasted that he couldn't even handle the decks anymore ?),
and he does look to have his act a lot more together in this one.

When he seems pissed off in this video, it just seems to be because he's trying to stay as professional as he can.

Not that I know any track of this guy, tbh,
I just know his old reputation.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Ok, got a story to add to this.
Not someone who even gigs, but nonetheless, he definitely had a LOT more ego than I ever thought...
At first I didn't even want to put this somewhere out in the open, but fuck it.
He's always welcome to defend himself, but then I'm gonna just put his literal words up here (which I won't now).

I used to be a big fan of the ambient music of 36.
Now, one of my favourite tracks of him "Inside" has the exact same 5 chord progression of Prince's "Little Red Corvette".

Anyway, I once wrote him that via email. His reply was "ow, yeah, I'm sure every chord progression has been used by now",
which tbh, is a reasonable answer, and hey, I don't care that much,
I like both tracks, though I have to say the exact same chords, same octave, with no invertions or whatever, it's a thin line,
and one you'd probably lose before court.

So some day, maybe a year later, he puts on his FB page : "I'm proud to say I'm making a new version of an old favourite track of mine..."
So yeah, I kind of couldn't help myself and replied "does that mean you're gonna use those same 5 chords again as Prince's... ;) "
At which point he immediately starts calling me a passive aggressive person.
I still stayed kind and said (like I said before) that I have always been a big fan of his music, and I don't care and like both tracks,
and that it had happened to me as well that I subconsciously made something that used a part that I found out later was from something I know.
That stuff can happen if you listen to music all the time and make music yourself.
He just tries to ridicule me, and says "good luck if you think Prince will care about something like that"
You gotta know Prince is most definitely the guy to get pissed off about copyright shit.
Before Prince died, it was even almost impossible to find his music on youtube, it always got removed sooner or later.
Still gets removed often nowadays.

Also I can recall 2 cases in recent (Belgian) law that had people sued for stealing parts of a track that you really wouldn't have thought.
In one case a mr nobody sued Madonna for stealing a part from him in her track "Frozen", result was that her album got banned from Belgium,
untill both of them recently got sued by a 3rd guy because he got that part in an even earlier track, so...
In the 2nd case one of our national prides dEUS got sued only last year by (the people who represent) Frank Zappa for blatantly stealing one of his basslines on their first album, which was made in 1994 or something.
So yeah, even years later, that shit can happen...

I was just trying to say "hey, don't be so certain, that could happen"
By then I was already copying all his words, because I had a feeling he was gonna remove them later.
And yep, indeed, 2 minutes later he removed all my posts and his replies to my posts,
and then he sent me a private message, and that's when he truely showed his real nature.
He said stuff like "how dare you say something like that on my FB page !!
I will do you a favour and ban you.
You have no idea how music works and how music production works.
This is why artists like me should keep a big distance with fans like you.
I know all about sound design, why should I even ever have to sample something ?"
and blablabla

I never even said he sampled anything. That would have almost been impossible, since there is a massive speed difference between both tracks,
and the sound was obviously totally different. I just said it's the exact same 5 chords, and I know he knows how to play keys.
And obviously, since he banned me, I had no way to even reply either.
Great way to have a civilized conversation, no ? :)

Honestly, during all my previous conversations, he was always kind in his replies.
I've bought multiple copies of almost all his albums and gave them away to others.
But after this I fucking hate it whenever I see one of his albums in my vinyl or CD collection.
He makes ambient, for christs sake, so what's with all the ego and thinking you're such a big "artist" ???

I still have all the literal words to prove what a cunt he was that day,
I even showed them to JJ (Alume) and Pedro (mainst09) to ask them : is this normal ? did I miss something here ? :?

kertikristof
Wastedddd

Post by kertikristof »

@Hades this sad story left a great impact on you. Still great story. Probably will tell this to my grandsons.. "the tale about an egoist ambient producer, aka never be a cunt little cunt"
https://intech.studio <- Modular MIDI controllers, MaxForLive devices, DIY Eurorack panels and intech life.
@ https://www.instagram.com/intechstudio/

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I suppose it's sad, I don't know tbh,
I don't think about it in such a way.

I just could have never imagined that someone can turn from being a seemingly likeable guy into a total cunt in like 5 minutes time.
It's pretty much like Steve said : the masks fall off...
well, his mask sure as hell fell off... :?

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Seth Troxler seemed alright to me in that vid, but I know nothing about him.
He explains that it would have meant buying five more flights a second time because one guy in his team, that I assume he is looking after, got a bit carried away at a gig.

To be fair, if he was late for his next gig he would have been the one to get the flack for it, esp if it was a contract situation. He was fair with the guy in my view, a slap on the wrist, keep it rolling, move on ..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

No idea who the guy is but the only thing that video made me think was shut up and play your shitty tunes you uninteresting wasteman.
New Shit

slpwlkr
Unartful

Post by slpwlkr »

I don't get the Seth Troxler hate.

The part where he's being a 'prick' to his assistant, is a proper reaction as a high paid DJ that has a tight schedule to run. If your assistant fucks it up because he was having too much fun, then you get to be angry.

It's a documentary, about the DJ, of course the topic will be mostly about him, so you will catch him talking about himself, and his life. Is that such a surprise?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I don`t hate him, but just from that video he seems as relevant to me, musically, as any other EDM bozo.
Why are we talking about him?
New Shit

sergiobR1
Wastedddd

Post by sergiobR1 »

please, don't do this, do not join the showbiz.

Is all about the music. Right ?

You go to hear some music with friends, get a drink, have fun, then you gtfo of the place, right ?
we speak of art with flaming passion
then do work void of compassion
and wonder why reality is bleeding fiction

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Lost to the Void wrote:I don`t hate him, but just from that video he seems as relevant to me, musically, as any other EDM bozo.
Why are we talking about him?
well, the topic was assholes being artists...no wait, other way around. Like I say, was never on my radar really when it comes to music. Just judging how he reacted to the situation in the vid. Wouldn't blame him if he just left the guy behind if you ask me. Anyway...

Remember going to a gig one time and a guy was djing and played an african vocal that sounded sublime in the middle of his set.
Approached him afterwards when he was with his mates and asked him about it and he just took the piss telling me they were Scandinavian...
I basically told him to go fuck himself and walked away.
Don't get that ..