Origins of East Coast vs West Coast Synthesis

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
The_G
Artificial Hazard
Origins of East Coast vs West Coast Synthesis

Post by The_G »

Thought this was an interesting article about East Coast (Moog) vs. West Coast (Bulcha) approaches to synthesis in the 1960s.

Chizmata
quasi-public
Re: Origins of East Coast vs West Coast Synthesis

Post by Chizmata »

lol when i looked at the title i wondered what business rap music has here. but the "vs" thing seems to be everywhere.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

And to add to this you have EMS style synthesis, which is its own thing and kinda predates both east and west coast in a way (and for me has been the best sounding synthesis I have experienced).
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

crowsbelikecaw
washable

Post by crowsbelikecaw »

Possibly obvious addition here, but have you guys seen "I Dream of Wires?" Much of it focuses on the East Coast/West Coast schools as well. Pretty great little documentary even if a little campy in spots. Costs a few bucks to view, too. But yeah.
#treegang #squirrelset #owlblock #represent

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

crowsbelikecaw wrote:Possibly obvious addition here, but have you guys seen "I Dream of Wires?" Much of it focuses on the East Coast/West Coast schools as well. Pretty great little documentary even if a little campy in spots. Costs a few bucks to view, too. But yeah.
Yup, seen it. Was enjoyable enough to watch.

This, from Steevio is lovely :) youtu.be/x6hJa2lRRgM

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Chizmata wrote:lol when i looked at the title i wondered what business rap music has here. but the "vs" thing seems to be everywhere.
Not sure you well you know the US, but the country is highly regionalized. East Coast/West Coast is one of many regionalized cultural rivalries, some of which are far more intense and involve a lot more bad blood (e.g. North vs. South).

But having lived on both coasts I can tell you that there are definitely some significant cultural differences, mostly in how regimented (East) vs. chaotic (West) life is. But it's also overblown to a large degree, so I guess it's a bit like comparing stereotypes of Germans and Italians. :lol:

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

It's even more absurd in the UK, for such a tiny country we have unbelievable geographical divisions.

Southern softies.
Northern monkeys.
West country bumkins.
Home counties snobs.
Welsh sheep shaggers.
Scottish alcoholics.
Mancunian thieves.
It even goes down to village by village.
We are a fucked up bunch of primates.
It's all that Viking,anglo Saxon, Norman invasion shit.
So many tribes.
I fucking love it.
It's all surface stuff in reality.

Where I live right now was the place, historically, where a village of trinovantes Britons lived that were so fucking crazy and hard ass that when the Romans invaded and romanised the region, they built a fence around the Barking trinovantes territory and basically said "leave those fuckers alone".
When Boudicca led the revolt against the Romans she came to the trinovantes here to kick it all off because she knew they would make the best and most brutal vanguard.
There is still that spirit around here now.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

*nods* Old histories of separate kingdoms, earldoms, etc.--some of which barely had any contact with each other until recently. Different dialects, customs and so forth emerge. Same in most European countries. In Croatia the dialect spoken on one island may be unintelligible to people on the next, for example.

US is obviously a different beast. Since it doesn't have a medieval history, it only has that kind of "micro-regionalism" in the oldest parts (and even then it's more limited than in England, Sweden, Germany, etc.).

The other forms of regionalization, like East vs West Coast, are more a function of the country's size and the way it was put together, so you also have this "old vs new" thing going on as well.