Ring Mod

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Hyle
crud
Ring Mod

Post by Hyle »

Someone can suggest me a nice Ring Modulator plugin?

I'm fine with the Ableton standard one, but I was looking something more resonant, more powerful.
I love adding textures to percussions with ring mod. I looked for it among my favourite plugin companies (like Audio Damage) but didn't find anything.

Thanks!

mr.chielos
Gnasher
Re: Ring Mod

Post by mr.chielos »

ring mod in ableton? where?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I've got a couple that I like.. Can't remember others right now but will come back later when I find out.

This / these are good.

https://www.meldaproduction.com/product ... yword=free

There's a ring mod in there amongst others. They also do a paid version with more features for around 40€.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Freq Shifter
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

off_axis
Exampleless

Post by off_axis »

mr.chielos wrote:ring mod in ableton? where?
yep. frequency shifter in, well, ring mode :)

there is one in the sampler too (AM oscillator).

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

This is another one that I like.. That I sometimes insert twice. It's for Mac anyway:

https://christianfloisand.wordpress.com ... modulator/

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

I really miss Logic's bundled ring modulator. I could always get that thing to make some glorious noise.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Hyle
crud

Post by Hyle »

ICN wrote:This is another one that I like.. That I sometimes insert twice. It's for Mac anyway:

Thanks for the suggestions... I'm going to try this one and let you know.
I downloaded the Melda freebies pack when I originally buyed Ableton Live and switched to computer-based production... And I really dislike their interfaces.

Seems strange to me that no one of the "mainstream" soft plugin companies offers a Ring Modulator.
I also looked here through the older posts, where I found excellent plugin advices (here I read and discovered some of my present favourite effects, such as Audio Damage's Kombinat and Dubstation) but found nothing about it.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Wiu wrote:I really miss Logic's bundled ring modulator. I could always get that thing to make some glorious noise.
Maybe it was just me & my imagination or ability at the time, but I never really clicked with it. Maybe now I would have a better understanding of how to fuck shit up with it.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Hyle wrote:
ICN wrote:This is another one that I like.. That I sometimes insert twice. It's for Mac anyway:

Thanks for the suggestions... I'm going to try this one and let you know.
I downloaded the Melda freebies pack when I originally buyed Ableton Live and switched to computer-based production... And I really dislike their interfaces.

Seems strange to me that no one of the "mainstream" soft plugin companies offers a Ring Modulator.
I also looked here through the older posts, where I found excellent plugin advices (here I read and discovered some of my present favourite effects, such as Audio Damage's Kombinat and Dubstation) but found nothing about it.
I know., the GUI ain't the prettiest, but they're seriously cool plugs. The comb filter one is nuts.

Hyle
crud

Post by Hyle »

Lost to the Void wrote:Search function

http://subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t= ... t=Ring+Mod
Didn't find that post, and I read tons of the older posts in the last months.

Anyway... which one do you like particularly among those suggested there?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Honestly none of them really do it for me.
My love of ring mods come from hardware, and there really aren`t many that do that old school ring mod thing.
The meldaproductions thing has like a billion options and still doesn`t sound even half as good as an electro harmonix frequency analyzer.

So far nothing has quenched my thirst for a decent proper sounding ring mod except the ring mod on BIAS FX Pro, which is modelled on the MoogerFooger ring mod, and sounds great, but it`s a bit hardcore to load up BIAS FX just to use the ringmod
New Shit

Hyle
crud

Post by Hyle »

Lost to the Void wrote:Honestly none of them really do it for me.
My love of ring mods come from hardware, and there really aren`t many that do that old school ring mod thing.
The meldaproductions thing has like a billion options and still doesn`t sound even half as good as an electro harmonix frequency analyzer.

So far nothing has quenched my thirst for a decent proper sounding ring mod except the ring mod on BIAS FX Pro, which is modelled on the MoogerFooger ring mod, and sounds great, but it`s a bit hardcore to load up BIAS FX just to use the ringmod
Coincidence is that I was looking for the Bias/Bias FX plugs because I record some guitar (drones, noisy stabs, etc) into my productions... and I generally prefer to play guitar than synths. I sample all the other stuff (not good at synthesis, actually).

I have plenty of pedal effects (Electro-Harmonix, TC Electronics, etc) because I played in bands when I was younger but it's pretty uncomfortable in a small-studio environment like mine (it's not a studio) to have tons of pedals, cables, pedalboards, etc...
Do you think that with Bias FX I can replace all my pedals on a quality level? In that way I can play and process the guitar just plugging it in my soundcard. It would be awesome...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

BIAS FX and BIAS AMP are fucking amazing. The metal community is nuts about it.
I used it loads on my Doom Metal album, it fucking rawks. You need decent processing to run it.
New Shit

Barskiniov
skaghead

Post by Barskiniov »

You can get some Ringmod tones out of Soundtoys Crystallizer, but FreqAnalyzer, Ringthing or not the cheapest way to go the Ringmod Moogerfooger will be better for sure...I have an analog Ringmod in my Megazwerg, but haven´t used it with my guitar so far....will try that.

Hyle
crud

Post by Hyle »

Lost to the Void wrote:BIAS FX and BIAS AMP are fucking amazing. The metal community is nuts about it.
I used it loads on my Doom Metal album, it fucking rawks. You need decent processing to run it.
https://help.positivegrid.com/hc/en-us/ ... s-effects-

That's nuts! There are some of my favourite pedals ever in this list...

I'm sold on the amps, if you tell me that the pedal effects emulations are top-notch quality too (and, given what you say about the Ring Mod emulation, it seems they are), I think I'm going to buy it.
I'm a kind of pedal effect fetishist (I gave shitload of money to ElectroHarmonix in the last 10 years) but I don't stand cables, pedalboards, power adapters everywhere anymore.

Hyle
crud

Post by Hyle »

Barskiniov wrote:You can get some Ringmod tones out of Soundtoys Crystallizer, but FreqAnalyzer, Ringthing or not the cheapest way to go the Ringmod Moogerfooger will be better for sure...I have an analog Ringmod in my Megazwerg, but haven´t used it with my guitar so far....will try that.
I have a FreqAnalyzer actually, beautiful pedal... but I wanted something in the box because, you know, in Live you can draw automations, modulate with M4L LFO, unlinked clip envelopes, etc.

It's been a while since I wanted SoundToys Crystallizer but at the moment SoundToys stuff is way too expensive for my budget.
150$ for one single plugin is too much.
With that money I bought my last 5-6 plugins... :lol:

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Lost to the Void wrote:The meldaproductions thing has like a billion options and still doesn`t sound even half as good as an electro harmonix frequency analyzer.
I really like Meldaproduction plugins but I totally agree with this. Some plugins just don't need a million and one options, which is something most of their plugins aim to do. For some, it's great, but for others it just makes for a steep learning curve and needless options that just distract.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I just don't think it sounds anywhere near to good, all those options seem to be an attempt to cover up what is quite a shitty sound.
New Shit