Remix comp

General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Remix comp

Post by Lost to the Void »

It matters to me if my music is shit, yes.
If I didn't care about what I was doing I probably wouldn't still be doing it.
I don't think you can be an artist and not run in to the wall of self doubt and existential despair at least once a year.
For me it is about once a week.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

To clarify I meant people entering these kinda competitions in order to "break through" etc, was a waste of time.

Practicing by working on remixes is good, just the expectations are another thing.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Lost to the Void wrote:It matters to me if my music is shit, yes.
I don't think you can be an artist and not run in to the wall of self doubt and existential despair at least once a year.
Relatable, especially when I compare myself to other producers :lol:. Then I remind myself I have only been producing seriously for about a year with no prior knowledge.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Lost to the Void wrote:It matters to me if my music is shit, yes.
Sure it matters to you if it is shit but there isn't one artist out there who makes good stuff all the time. By thinking something you have made is shit then that would surely drive you on to make something you consider better (this is certainly massively subjective and you can't often stay objective about your own work a lot of the time)

It isn't about not caring about making music is it about not caring if you do make the odd shit thing here and there.
My hard drive is full of atrocities I have created but then I also have some things that I am almost proud of on there as a result of those atrocities, going back to my point that when I made those awful tracks I took something good from them and took it forward to make something I did like in the end.

wormcode
unsure

Post by wormcode »

1nfinitezer0 wrote:There was already 120 or so entries on the soundcloud group. Most remix competitions I avoid since they're for huge things and require unrealistic amounts of social media support. I might give it a shot.

Anyone had success with remix competitions? They seem like a potential way to break through and get exposure. Or are they typically won by established/mid-career artists?
Out of 120, I'd guess less than half are what the label is interested in, and half of those half are decent...
I mean if it's like most other remix competitions I'd imagine a large portion of them are Genre Of The Month type remixes.

As far as breaking through with them, I would say not likely. However if you do a lot of quality ones people will recognise a talent sure. I dunno what you'd call success, but in my experience they were more useful to start a dialogue with the artist/label. They think it's cool or interesting and get to talking and remember your name. But yeah in the past I've seen totally established artists swoop in and steal everyone's thunder too with their remix. Not even necessarily a good one, but an established name helps everyone involved in making the competition.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Wow that original track is kinda bland beyond belief. What a difficult remix.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

1nfinitezer0
Tiesto

Post by 1nfinitezer0 »

Thanks for the level reply Wiu, I really appreciate it. Sorry if I came across poorly, my gut reaction was concern for the lurkers that look up to places like these.

I did a version for the challenge, but no sooner had I bounced the squashed version did I realize I hated how much of the extra triplet percussion layer I put in the mix (on top of the super-building original stem). Went for an anxious tumble through space feel. Not my best work perhaps, but tried a lot of new ideas getting the pieces in place.

Comments and crits appreciated, I'll try to revisit it after the coming weekend shows.
https://soundcloud.com/1nfinitezer0/125 ... v4/s-vA5cN

TimBuys
happy bastard

Post by TimBuys »

Good job man, I like what you did with the track. Nice progression throughout the whole track. I´ll probably upload what I have soon aswell :)