panning on old soul, jazz, funk recordings

General Chat // Music Discussion
kingrad
quasi-public
panning on old soul, jazz, funk recordings

Post by kingrad »

I enjoy listening to old 50, 60s, 70s funk/soul/jazz/blues etc. On some of these recordings the whole drum kit might be panned hard right and guitar hard left for example. I understand its something to do with the limitations of technology at the time but what is the specific reason.

avmilli
Pig
Re: panning on old soul, jazz, funk recordings

Post by avmilli »

This may be linked to the invention of the 93rpm gramophone, krank managed made in the latter part of the 20th century. Enjoy hunting them down for maximum listening pleasure. These may appreciate greatly in value due to their limited production so could be kept as antiques for further trading; it would be wise to purchase additonal stylus as these are also no longer in production.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

A number of reasons mainly due to early equipment.
LCR mixing was the beginning of stereo mixes, the early desks could only record hard left, centre, or hard right, at to that a pre multitrack era, and you would have all the drum mics summed, and then panned left, guitars summed and right, vocals centred etc.
In the very early days, stereo was not well thought of, and albums were mixed for mono, and stereo was added as an afterthought.
Once the panpot was invented, and multitrack recording, things started to get more inventive.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

Not this those, check out any early beatles stuff.

kingrad
quasi-public

Post by kingrad »

Lost to the Void wrote:A number of reasons mainly due to early equipment.
LCR mixing was the beginning of stereo mixes, the early desks could only record hard left, centre, or hard right, at to that a pre multitrack era, and you would have all the drum mics summed, and then panned left, guitars summed and right, vocals centred etc.
In the very early days, stereo was not well thought of, and albums were mixed for mono, and stereo was added as an afterthought.
Once the panpot was invented, and multitrack recording, things started to get more inventive.
Thanks, that makes sense. It certainly sounds strange to my ears on headphones when the whole drum kit is panned hard to one side. A friend of mine yesterday said at least it would be easier to sample the drums or other elements which I hadn't thought of.

kingrad
quasi-public

Post by kingrad »

Huck Farper wrote:Not this those, check out any early beatles stuff.
Yes their recordings are incredible. I prefer their later stuff when they really got inventive in the studio

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Yeah listen to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on headphones... kinda mind blowing what George Martin got up to creatively.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

kingrad
quasi-public

Post by kingrad »

msl wrote:

Yeah listen to Sgt. Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band on headphones... kinda mind blowing what George Martin got up to creatively.

It's been years since I have listened to it. Might be time again

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

I've realized the same thing while trying to rip some Miles Davis stuff from Youtube.

kingrad
quasi-public

Post by kingrad »

Monreal wrote:I've realized the same thing while trying to rip some Miles Davis stuff from Youtube.
Hi, just downloading your podcast, some nice sounds on there.

Digging the baseline on "spectrum" also

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Captain Beefheart