Question for Softube Heartbeat users

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
dubdub
Asphyxiwank
Question for Softube Heartbeat users

Post by dubdub »

I'm new to using this thing, love the sound. Sure, it's not the most flexible but it's got a real drum machine feel, which is hard to get when you synthesize from scratch but it's also got it's own sound at doesn't like a literal 909/808 emulation. However there's some things which aren't clear to me from a usability standpoint

1) Is there a way to get the drum moduels in different channels with only one instance of the plugin running for sperate processing/EQing etc. I read something about seperate outputs but I'm not sure how. I tried messign around /w Ableton's drum racks but I'm not very good with those :)

2) Am I right that there is no individual attack time for the non-bassdrum modules? I suppose I could load the sounds in a sampler but it's seem a bit annoying that they didn't include that.

arkos
Re: Question for Softube Heartbeat users

Post by arkos »

dubdub wrote:I'm new to using this thing, love the sound. Sure, it's not the most flexible but it's got a real drum machine feel, which is hard to get when you synthesize from scratch but it's also got it's own sound at doesn't like a literal 909/808 emulation. However there's some things which aren't clear to me from a usability standpoint

1) Is there a way to get the drum moduels in different channels with only one instance of the plugin running for sperate processing/EQing etc. I read something about seperate outputs but I'm not sure how. I tried messign around /w Ableton's drum racks but I'm not very good with those :)

2) Am I right that there is no individual attack time for the non-bassdrum modules? I suppose I could load the sounds in a sampler but it's seem a bit annoying that they didn't include that.
Such a lovely sounding plugin indeed and I could care less if there are more flexible drum synths out there this one sounds best to me :)

1. Just insert new audio channels and route the audio from heartbeat to them, once you do you will see a list of heartbeats outputs (Bd,Sd,Hh etc.)

2. Yes you are right, being true to those original beat boxes you just get basic decay, but look at the bottom of the plugin to the left those controls can really change the sound with just a few twists.

Want more control of the sounds it's like you said, resample.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Thanks! The routing thing works so far.

If you've got time, some more questions that came to my head :)

1) Individual outs seem to bypasses the master fx, is there a way around that? The saturation knob is quite nice.

2) Is there a way to get two modules running in two different time signatures (ie kick in 4/4 & 16th hats & some 3/4 shit or something) from the same instance of the plugin?

3) The key thing in the top, is that the actual key the module is played in? It doesn't seem to change musically when I change it there. If no, how do I change the actual key things are played in?

arkos

Post by arkos »

dubdub wrote:Thanks! The routing thing works so far.

If you've got time, some more questions that came to my head :)

1) Individual outs seem to bypasses the master fx, is there a way around that? The saturation knob is quite nice.

2) Is there a way to get two modules running in two different time signatures (ie kick in 4/4 & 16th hats & some 3/4 shit or something) from the same instance of the plugin?

3) The key thing in the top, is that the actual key the module is played in? It doesn't seem to change musically when I change it there. If no, how do I change the actual key things are played in?
1. Yes it sucks but there is a free fix for that ;) http://www.softube.com/index.php?id=satknob

2. I don't think so since that would require multiple midi inputs but to be honest I have no idea, you can however get messed up rhythms, glitch effects and of course layer drum hits with the auto-layer machine.

3. Those are the midi note's assigned to each module. Sadly you have to tune the drums by ear or use a spectrum analyzer.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Thanks. Heh, I think I had tried Saturation Knob at some point, but I didn't realize it's the same thing :)

arkos

Post by arkos »

dubdub wrote:Thanks. Heh, I think I had tried Saturation Knob at some point, but I didn't realize it's the same thing :)
No problem mate anything for a fellow Heartbeat junkie :D