Using a new Alias?

General Chat // Music Discussion
daunzila
arsehole
Using a new Alias?

Post by daunzila »

Last week i was looking into my project files and then i found a track project i started in 2014 and never finished, when i opened, just for curiousity, i kinda like the vibe of it and got some time this week to finish it, now i was listening and damn, i like it a lot and want to put up online, the thing is, its way different from the direction i was going with this obtuso thing, now im thinking maybe i could bring up an new alias to put this music up but then i thougth, dude this is totaly bullshit! Isnt?

Idk, in the 90s people do that all the time right? but now it feels kinda lame...
What you people think about it? Have you done something like that?
WTF?!

Alume
Confetti
Re: Using a new Alias?

Post by Alume »

Who cares what others think. If it feels right go for it.

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

The downside is that if you've built up some profile and momentum on one name, you lose that when working under a new name.

I agree with Alume though - do whatever you want. This isn't a question of what others might think

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

True that Terry, though it can be an upside as well.

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

I've been told that in the 90s, people used a lot of aliases because this was before you could discogs everyone's aliases, so having a lot aliases was a way to get around exclusivity contracts with labels. Also this was when you could still make decent money selling records, so profilic producers could make nice money by knocking out a ton of records on different labels.

I think nowadays, people mostly do it for 'branding' purposes ie. if they want a certain sound associated with their name(s). It's silly, but people do base their bookings around the records you put out so a lot of DJs will have an alias for less club-friendly records. There's some great DJs that put out more ambient records but because of their output, nobody's booking them for peaktime slots.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Do what you feel is right. It has both negative and positive aspects.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Do it anonymously and cover your face in all press and gigs.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

And a gasmask
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

I don't see the point of creating whole new alias just for one track. If you think you can keep on making same style of tracks in the near future, then maybe. But for one particular song? Nah.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Mattias wrote:And a gasmask
You evil fucker :twisted:
We don't mention gasmasks in public.
Every time someone mentions a gasmask in a techno context, a beatport label starts up, with gasmask artwork and THAT techno sound.
And a fluffy bunny dies.
New Shit

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

yeah, a gasmask ill be cool, maybe ill subtract some letter from the name too hahaha

I wasnt really worried about what people will think about it you cunts, i was thinking about just let different stuff in different places, im feeling this kinda of need since i restarted doing somethings in the box, the output of this kind of work is going another direction, so i probably will be doing more tracks that could fit more there and let this other thing for my live gigs and live recorded stuff, whatever maybe im just overthinking this :P

None of you has being through this kinda of silly doubt?
WTF?!

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Oh many times .
I can only speak from my perspective, but I have a few other production names kicking about and I really wish they didn't exist as these days I just prefer to put everything under one name.
I have diverse tastes and having different names for shit just splits focus and forces those different project down defined paths, which for me restricts freedom of expression in a way.
If people can't except that I am not going to make one very specific micro sub niche of a sub niche of music all the fucking time, then fuck them.
I would say don't go down that road.

But really I have no fucking idea if it is a good idea to do it or not, I just can't be fucked with it all. I am who I am.
New Shit

Huck Farper
Alf Garnett

Post by Huck Farper »

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

Lost to the Void wrote:Oh many times .
I can only speak from my perspective, but I have a few other production names kicking about and I really wish they didn't exist as these days I just prefer to put everything under one name.
I have diverse tastes and having different names for shit just splits focus and forces those different project down defined paths, which for me restricts freedom of expression in a way.
If people can't except that I am not going to make one very specific micro sub niche of a sub niche of music all the fucking time, then fuck them.
I would say don't go down that road.

But really I have no fucking idea if it is a good idea to do it or not, I just can't be fucked with it all. I am who I am.
yeah i'm just using one name. i was going to make a new name to separate my techno stuff but i can't be bothered. i'm a fringe dweller anyway, so i'm just going to assume that people won't be too surprised or angry if it's not the genre they expect.

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

i am old school

i like aliases

part of the fun

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Aliases can be hit and miss, or hit the mark. I've gone through a few but I've pretty much stuck to this current one (SFBM) for the last 4-5 years for the majority of my DJing and production, only recently have I started an alternate one and that's a bit different as it's not just an alter-alias for myself, but is an alias for my new techno duo I've formed with my friend (called 'Smoke').

When you're just starting out in production or DJing and trying to make a name for yourself it's definitely more of a good idea to stick to just the one name - if you're trying to get tracks out there, get recognition or send off demos then it's going to be a real headfuck if you have 5 different names you're working as. And the sort of artists that have <100 soundcloud followers can easily release stuff under various different genres that are wide apart and it won't be such an issue. I mean like, although Aphex Twin has had a few different aliases, he's still released some very intense works under Aphex Twin alongside his ambient works.

I'd say that you'd only *really* need to consider launching a secondary alias if you've either got an EP or album's worth of tracks that are incredibly different to your original sound/genre, or you have enough following and material to launch a secondary name. If it's just sounding a little different, then no need. Releasing different sounding works under the same name will just show your versatility as a producer and ability to work different sounds and styles, imo.

bergertron
site spammer

Post by bergertron »

I have been using djfilthmonger for about 12 years or so. I used bergertron when I played an electro techno type set which I only played a hand full of times. This forum wouldn't let me use djfilthmonger for some reason

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

I don't think there is anything wrong with doing it but I also like to hear diversity from the producers I like. I would say unless the style is wildly different then there is no point really.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

All bets are off if your new alias is DJ Dangleberry.

If it`s that, then use it regardless, because that is pure win.
New Shit

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Lost to the Void wrote:DJ Dangleberry.
Bagsy.