Optymist

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
Merah
arsehole
Optymist

Post by Merah »

An experiment in dub techno/ dnb..

Creativity is not a technique, it is a way of life.

Cloaked
hunger marcher
Re: Optymist

Post by Cloaked »

Nice, autonomic vibes, like ASC or D Bridge etc. Some nice melodies buried in here too. Mix needs some work though, or maybe just some mastering.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah I really like this, liking the main melody, works really well.
the mix could do with opening up, it feels a bit constrained and pressed together, and needs some room to breathe.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

FuturePerfect
Jan : )

Post by FuturePerfect »

gr8 work, too short !

Chizmata
quasi-public

Post by Chizmata »

Merah wrote:An experiment in dub techno/ dnb..

very atmospheric and clean sound, just needs some more length

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Like the idea, agree that the mix sounds a bit constrained.

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

Cloaked wrote:Nice, autonomic vibes, like ASC or D Bridge etc. Some nice melodies buried in here too. Mix needs some work though, or maybe just some mastering.
I'm a big fan of both those artists, if your into that sound you should check out Nether too

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

Lost to the Void wrote:Yeah I really like this, liking the main melody, works really well.
the mix could do with opening up, it feels a bit constrained and pressed together, and needs some room to breathe.
Thanks, i agree on the mix, I'm thinking a bit less reverb and more paced sequencing could work.

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

nice stuff

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

Cheers for the comments/ feedback !

The_G
Artificial Hazard

Post by The_G »

Really enjoyed this. Atmospheric and has a great synth melody.

Also your name means "red" in Indonesian.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

This is quality. Good stuff.

Is it a full track? I'm just wondering how it plays out over 7 mins

Lynx
Face Hugger

Post by Lynx »

Lost to the Void wrote:Yeah I really like this, liking the main melody, works really well.
I've heard you mention this on a few other member tracks. Care to explain how you would open up a mix? Are you talking about stereo image, frequency balance?

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

@Lynx, i think he means a lack of spaciousness between the elements. Id like this clarified too.

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

jordanneke wrote:This is quality. Good stuff.

Is it a full track? I'm just wondering how it plays out over 7 mins
Thanks! Not a full track yet, still a work in progress.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Merah wrote:
Thanks, i agree on the mix, I'm thinking a bit less reverb and more paced sequencing could work.
It`s more of an EQ issue I think, just a little more space between the sounds would help. I`m listening here on the mastering monitors and if I were to master this I would probably pull back some of the 200-600 area where it`s a little overly dense, and then maybe I would pick out the transients a little, as post mastering they will be knocked back a touch, it`s always worth going just a touch harder than you want with your transients.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Lynx wrote:
I've heard you mention this on a few other member tracks. Care to explain how you would open up a mix? Are you talking about stereo image, frequency balance?
A constrained mix has too much density, usually a combination of a lack of space between sounds, not enough dynamic movement (too much compression), too much reverb, and not enough air. It can be one of those factors or a combination.
In this case, before the bass and kick come in you can already hear the pads taking up some low end space, which is compacted as soon as the kicks etc come in. The low end density issue is further emphasised by the gap between the mids and the top end, the top end in place being quite sharp and clear and spaceous, juxtaposed with the low end being very dense and close.
It`s very very typical for small/home studio mixes to sound like this, as low end is always a problem.

This mix is not an example of a "bad" mix though, in this case we are talking about small details. This could easily, in this case, be dealt with in mastering.
But it`s never good to have the attitude of "oh we will fix this at the mastering stage". It is always better to fix the mix.
New Shit

Merah
arsehole

Post by Merah »

Lost to the Void wrote:
It`s more of an EQ issue I think, just a little more space between the sounds would help. I`m listening here on the mastering monitors and if I were to master this I would probably pull back some of the 200-600 area where it`s a little overly dense, and then maybe I would pick out the transients a little, as post mastering they will be knocked back a touch, it`s always worth going just a touch harder than you want with your transients.
Thanks for your info