DJs who unexpectedly blew you away

General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: DJs who unexpectedly blew you away

Post by Lost to the Void »

Haaaang on, I get this thread now, are we talking about getting sucked off by your fave DJ in the booth?
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

bergertron
site spammer

Post by bergertron »

Lost to the Void wrote:
bergertron wrote:went to a hydraulix party in London a few years back. Eric Sneo, Dave the Drummer, Ant. All very good I had seen Eric and DTD before a few times but ANT was a first and I was very impressed I nearly go a say he was the best DJ on the night.
What happened to Sneo?
I must admit currently i am too pissed to read all the previous posts but yes what happen sneo he use to banging out what i would say driving techno. Live drumming to build a mix up. But now is stuff is fairly safe and genric . See the talent in the percussion production but not as good as the stuff n use to produce

ross-alexander
endless

Post by ross-alexander »

James ruskin first time i saw him he was a stand in for a no show and was amazing back when he was first breaking through. I've kept a look out for him ever since. I haven't seen him as much in recent years but last time was only a couple years back. Still good. Still miles better than many "bigger" djs. I think although its hard to find anyone thats never been blown away by a set had either been going to the wrong nights or isnt really that into it.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

chava wrote:
Sure, but the dj's I care for are not doing it as a job. I don't care for the big names.
Not sure if I meant this to be connected at all, but I'd like to point out that there are tons of people who have deejaying as their job while not being a big name at all.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Thumper
decent

Post by Thumper »

Saw Intergalactic Gary last weekend at an instore at Rubadub for RSD. Had heard a couple of sets by him in the past, and although I thought he was alright I hadn't been blown away.

He was brilliant. Played a great set. Totally rocking even though it was mid afternoon on a Saturday.

avmilli
Pig

Post by avmilli »

Been blown away by Sven Vath, Billy, Nasty , just bought Hardfloor Robot remix by Sven, classic. Looking forward to the Vibert night London town next month. Du Berliner don't forget your welle's! Old school homeboy's make some noise. esoteric news Pete Tongs been snookered by the BBC with the new Techno DJ emergence. google techno DJ's BBC 26/04/2016 for update.

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Seeing Pfirter play a set in Melbourne was pretty great, was in a high energy, packed nightclub room that was so enclosed that my friend kept walking out every 5 minutes to clean the fog and humidity off his glasses haha.

Answer Code Request played another amazing set that I wasn't expecting. I hadn't heard much of his stuff but was going along as a bunch of mates were, and he played a lot harder and darker than I expected.

When Developer came down to Melbourne, he played a 4 hour set in a local nightclub here...that was fucking amazing.

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

I only had a few years of active raving (end of 90s, beginning 00s), and techno was just one of the many kinds of music I liked, although a bit special: I only knew some of the bigger names (Mills, Whoretits?, Surgeon, Speedy J), and most of the techno I knew was from mixes my technohead mate gave me and there was no Shazam at the time. In those days, T-quest was a DJ that would always play great sets.

Recently I saw a youtube clip here on Subsekt of DJ Bone in his sweatpants at home, that was quite impressive to me.
I haven't got any DJ experience at all, so correct me if wrong, but I've never been impressed with CDJ sets. Is it psychological, or do CDJ sets sound too digital (cold, wimpy fx,...)? I've only been to parties a few times the last 5 years, so technology might have changed...
I never saw a CDJ techno set when I was regularly going to raves 'in the days'.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

dylanlolwut
Metric Martyr

Post by dylanlolwut »

Wasn't a dj set but when I saw Karenn live for the first time in 2013\14 i couldn't get over how crazy it sounded, the modular sounds I mean. My love for modular was has grown now to me building my own modular
Greetings, brethren. Checketh out mine soundeth-cloud!

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

dylanlolwut wrote:Wasn't a dj set but when I saw Karenn live for the first time in 2013\14 i couldn't get over how crazy it sounded, the modular sounds I mean. My love for modular was has grown now to me building my own modular
I'll second Karenn. Caught them live for the first time at Freero and holy shit, I had some moments where I just stood there and looked at my friend and thought "HOW???" They were insane. Absolutely brilliant.

It wasn't entirely unexpected but Dozzy's set at Bloc last year was the stuff my wet dreams are made of. He was on at 7:30 until 9 on the Friday and I could have pretty much left the festival happy at that point.

sinesnsnares
Pig

Post by sinesnsnares »

One that surprised me recently (Not Techno) was patrick topping at coda. Me and a buddy who usually hit up techno nights went, he told me it was "very good techhouse" and i was a little skeptical, pretty much expecting to hear shoes in a dryer basslines all night. The guy before him was pretty much exactly that, but my god topping killed it. Some techhouse, but also jumped around into deephouse, techno, disco, 80s/new wave dance music, and towards the end some really euphoric "Progressive" (whatever the fuck that means these days) house. It was one of the few nights out where i wish my friends who aren't into techno/electronic music had come out, because i think they genuinely would of had a great time.

dylanlolwut
Metric Martyr

Post by dylanlolwut »

Mattias wrote:
Not sure if I meant this to be connected at all, but I'd like to point out that there are tons of people who have deejaying as their job while not being a big name at all.

Yeah they have a name.
Fucking losers
Greetings, brethren. Checketh out mine soundeth-cloud!

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Huh?

avmilli
Pig

Post by avmilli »

Went to a fantisic gig in Cambridge during Andrew Weatherall's techno phase when he played Equinox-Pollax on Sinewave, MD Connection Magic Feet; credit to the producer; an evening of the finest quality.

wowsignal
fancy woman

Post by wowsignal »

DJ Bone in D One Dublin late 90's - I was (am) really into his mix/double pack - Subject:Detroit Volume 2. Got chatting to him before he went on and asked about his 'Black Lies' (as i was calling it). He corrected me - it's 'Black Lives' - as in "property...aspirations...BLACK LIVES - BLACK LIVES". It meant so much to me previously as black lies - i thought it was anticapitalist - but i understood and he didn't mind at all -= he laughed - i was buckt - he laughed at that as well. So i asked him to play it and he said he's been touring Europe but hadn't been playing it as he didn't know how it would go down. He played it and it was great - very trippy on a big system. He was great - really heavy - saw him again in Dublin about 5 years ago and he was more eclectic but the mixing and energy were still as great. Yeah Robert Hood back when it was a mad barrage with things like Wu Tang Clan thrown in - saw him a lot more recently too at a Machine night and was surprised by the change in tact - still played good music but the madness was diminished.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

'elp - Buckt!! :mrgreen:
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB