Korg Minilogue

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
infusivemusic
tense
Korg Minilogue

Post by infusivemusic »

Anyone have it ? or going to have it ? what is your thoughts on it?

I got a brand new bass station II and returned it and have a choice of the korg minilogue, Waldorf Blofeld, or DSI Terta feedback please !

Wiu
Slowy J
Re: Korg Minilogue

Post by Wiu »

Why did you return the Bass Station II?
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

infusivemusic
tense

Post by infusivemusic »

It was good synth ! I will buy it again from someone who decides to ditch one for 2-250 on craigslist (See it all the time)

I just got it for xmas so the store was willing to take it back for full $500 credit to something else. I want something nice I can do some bass and chords on. I hear a lot of great reviews on the Blofeld and not this minilogue. Just trying to get some peoples feedback. I guess more of rate these in order. Oh and I do want poly i can hold out for mono down the road.
so in order what do you pick and why ?

Basstation II, Blofeld, Korg Minilouge, Tetra
Bass station

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

The Minilogue just came out. Not many people have it yet. Can u go to the store to try them out? Maybe that helps to make a decision. I would rank the Tetra last of those 4 just cuz of the interface.

infusivemusic
tense

Post by infusivemusic »

What is all the hype over Blofeld what is so good about it ?

Good thinking ! I am sure they will be out soon to try after NAMM.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Maybe read some information about each of the synths you seem to of put on your shortlist? If you know anything about synthesizers and synthesis you should get a good idea from their specifications. How are you going to use the synth? Live use? Do you want a lot of knob per function tweakability?
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

infusivemusic
tense

Post by infusivemusic »

I mean in retrospect the korg seems to have a nice sound to it. I do not like that it only has one LFO and people are claiming it pops and clicks a lot on a lot of patches, which leaves me to question it. I get synthesis and have a good idea of the features and qualities of each synth. I guess I am asking on a expert level for instance why is the Blofeld so good ? because of the mod options, the sound what is it ? what really pops out about it because to me it sounds for VAgood not great but although seems very versatile. Someone asked me why do I rave about audio damage basic VST synth ? I say because of the filter mod options, the way the osc and filters sound when sweeping up.That is where it stands out, I love making nice staby basses and chords with it. I guess these are the things I am looking to hear about the Blofeld and monologue I want to get more of a inside driver seat point of view rather then of yeah it sounds fat and the filter is good.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

I never tried a Blofeld but some guys here really like it. Its apparently a very versatile synth. Probably the most versatile among the 4 you listed. From the demos online the Minilogue sounds really nice as well and its polyphonic while the Basstation is only monophonic. The Tetra is polyphonic as well and a very flexible synth but the interface is not too great cuz there is lots of menu diving. There is an editor if you dont mind using it through a computer but for me thats kinda missing the point of getting any hardware. Just my opinion though and I am by far not an expert

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

I have the minilogue and I love it. It's a good cheap synth for what it does. It just needs more filter options.

infusivemusic
tense

Post by infusivemusic »

Gedda it sounds very promising from the demos. I mean what are your pros and cons thus far ?

I'm debating what to get I'm sure NAMM will have some surprises but these little tweaker synths come out look promising then gave a run of features missing and then build quietly , bugs etc become a thing.

I have to save for analog and the price that Prava seems pretty awesome but not to much info out there on it except the creator of it has been planning to tune it up and add a lot of features through software upgrades.

Have you jammed on a blofekd?

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

Pros: an affordable, analog, polyphony synth with tons of nobs. You can also store presets. lots of bang for $500 usd. I was lucky because I sold my microkorg just before it was announced. It also sounds great. There's unison, duo, mono, and chord modes. It even comes with a delay. It's very intuitive too.

Cons: I like to work on my hardware synths on init patches all the time and switching from init patch to init patch is weak because the synth does not adjust to the settings on the UI so you have to nudge every parameter a bit here and there. Other than that, I can't tell you about the sequencer because I use the PC to sequence. Biggest con for me though are the lack of filter options since you have a lpf and a hpf but envelopes cannot modulate the hpf unfortunately.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

I've seen many Blofelds on the 2nd-hand market and passed one up that was a good price because the interface wasn't appealing to me. They are very versatile and sound good though, if maybe a little clean or something.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

I'd go for the Korg, knob per function wins every time. And it sounds good from what I've seen online. Planning on getting one myself later.

The Blofeld is nice, I got one used recently for a very good price and will be keeping it. Its cold and icy sounding, very modern tones, doesn't do bass very well, great pads and keys and FX. Interface is not great so editor is needed. Thing is on its own it might not be great but it fits perfectly into the mix with the other analog gear that I have.

Had a Mopho also some years ago, nice sound crap interface again, and there's just something about the DSI synths sound (the filter) I just don't like, its always raspy.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

no post for 3 days?

namm came and everyone forgot about the ML.....

seanocean
Jan : )

Post by seanocean »

Blofeld, good all around synth, not very aggressive. more for pads and leads but the filter can produce a very articulate acid bassline, surprisinly enough.

Tetra great little synth but the interface possibly needs the editor to survive. once your OS goes, so does your editing capability.

Minilogue. seems like a good all around synth, but it's very basic, kind of flat sounding. it's good if you need the immediacy of just kicking over a set of oscillators, filter and an envelope and calling it done.. in that respect it's very much like a juno 106 or polyphonic sh-101. if you don't have a basic bread and butter synth then maybe minilogue is where it's at, but you can get this type of synth anywhere. the appeal is the price, and the new circuitry. since it is based on classic analog designs you'll not have to deal with a second hand synthy someone who's stuffed it full of cat hair, someone who's wrenched the cutoff so it's barely left hanging on, or left a joint smoldering on the pitch bend.

IMO..
a versatile, mellow and deep synth: blofeld.
beautiful sounding with limited editing: tetra.
solid well built synth with immediacy and yet a pretty flat sound: minilogue
| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Blofeld not aggressive? Have you tried over driving the filter? Sometimes I think the Blofeld is just as aggressive sounding as an MS20, if not more. And it's certainly more versatile.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

infusivemusic
tense

Post by infusivemusic »

So I got one last week ! Let me say that this thing is over rated by far. I mean it doesn't sound great but not bad if that makes sense. The clicking issue was a huge deal breaker for me, I mean if I tapped a key you here the click no matter what. i also noticed a low freq type hum did not like this at all. I ended up trading this with a person on craigslist for some sweet gear so I made out well. Overall it is cheaply made, good sounding but not great, I also think the Bass station 2 is better even being a poly synth. The only thing that can happen is Korg can upgrade the hell out of it and make it better but save your money if you want a good poly synth and get a good one.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

As ever, I await the Sonic Lab review and lowdown before I pull the trigger on something
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

infusivemusic wrote:So I got one last week ! Let me say that this thing is over rated by far. I mean it doesn't sound great but not bad if that makes sense. The clicking issue was a huge deal breaker for me, I mean if I tapped a key you here the click no matter what. i also noticed a low freq type hum did not like this at all. I ended up trading this with a person on craigslist for some sweet gear so I made out well. Overall it is cheaply made, good sounding but not great, I also think the Bass station 2 is better even being a poly synth. The only thing that can happen is Korg can upgrade the hell out of it and make it better but save your money if you want a good poly synth and get a good one.

wasn't there a firmware update that resolves the clicking issue?

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

i played one today for the first time

it was nice
sounds quite tight , not huge . detailed . good scope of sounds for a basic synth
build quality is good
no clicking issues I noticed
the mini keys are small
for the money though I would be happy