musical resolutions

General Chat // Music Discussion
Mono-xID
Uumfääng
Re: musical resolutions

Post by Mono-xID »

quest wrote:
Hyle wrote:I didn't live in the 90s but for what I know electronic rave music wasn't supposed to be just pure entertainment.
I was and you're sooooo right. People who know it should be better have a duty to help bring it back (bring it forward), or else don't complain and bring down the vibes of those who are trying.

If we want it we have to work for it. It seems sometimes like society is designed to demoralize us and make us into automatons who tolerate life just enough to keep feeding the machine. In fact there's quite a bit of evidence this is true.

If we ever want things to be more than that for more than a pocket of like one decade or so (60s, 90s), we need to defeat the "what's cool" waves of the decades because these are NOT determined by youth. They are partly determined by youth but just as much they are imposed on youth by media. And kids these days are ignorant enough to not realize what's happening, they don't have enough counterculture, are more complacent, resigned, and indifferent.

Because it's "cool" to be nonchalant and indifferent (no kids, you were taught that by an upper crust of society that wants you to be mostly miserable, but not too miserable).

The days of teenage angst are over mate. Youth is getting to comfortable and in digital age everything is served on a plate that you're so distracted by consume that you don't realize there's still a lot of shit going on worth to rebel against it. But I can't even blame the youngsters because I don't know if I'd act the same way.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

I have no real resolution but i will certainly work more with vocals (recording + mixing), not sure it will be really techno.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Mono-xID wrote: The days of teenage angst are over mate. Youth is getting to comfortable and in digital age everything is served on a plate that you're so distracted by consume that you don't realize there's still a lot of shit going on worth to rebel against it. But I can't even blame the youngsters because I don't know if I'd act the same way.
http://powerevolution.tumblr.com/post/1 ... -so-uncool

I can't say I blame them exactly either, I think the internet was the straw that broke the camel's back in terms of indoctrinating youth to the point where they became benign, indifferent and unable to immerse their psyche with significance and meaning as previous generations did.

Not that previous generations really got anywhere with their protesting, which was always quashed anyway, but I suppose it helped the psyche to try. We emerged with a feeling of substance, whereas younger generations did not, and so it is no wonder they had to make up for the emptiness inside by taking selfies and seeking social reinforcement and artificial popularity via Facebook likes and comments.

I can't help but wonder if there is any possible way to kick things back into gear, so to speak. I fear that things have to get a lot worse before kids snap out of it and realize that they are being sculpted more than ever before, instead of sculpting themselves as a respectable counterculture.

We need counterculture from each generation to maintain social stability, I mean that used to be the very definition of what a teenager was, and as those teens grew up they demanded progress, in whatever small way they could. And those small amounts of progress added up.

But now it seems like a certain status quo is starting to crystalize, and it's not good for any of us.

I guess my biggest musical resolution of all is to see if there is any genre I can write for that will break through on that level, to try to use ability to create music as a vehicle for communicating in a way that words can't, instead of simply using it to stroke the ego (which I am not at all interested in).

sinesnsnares
Pig

Post by sinesnsnares »

A bit late to the party on this s one, but here goes:

1. Before I move, become more involved in the Toronto techno scene. Or at least, get out more often than I usually do. I feel way more inspired coming home from gigs.

2. Decide which city and complete my goal of moving to Montreal or Paris (or go full stereotype and go to Berlin).. This is a musical goal because I want to go to these cities for the arts/culture scene.

3. Release something. At the lofty end, get something signed. More realistically, self released on band camp, paying for a mix/master from a professional. This also means pushing myself to get my tracks to the "finished stage" instead of "good enou for a freebie on SoundCloud.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

1) Find a job, any job
2) Buy a new live rig, which is already planned, I just need a bit of money to buy the units I want
3) Try to befriend some local DJ's and promoters to get myself some gigs. I was out of the loop for quite a while and the scene's full of new people who I don't know at all
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

i feel i cant make shit at the moment. resolution is to make something good and be happy with it. im ready to jack it in lol
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

sinesnsnares wrote:A bit late to the party on this s one, but here goes:

1. Before I move, become more involved in the Toronto techno scene. Or at least, get out more often than I usually do. I feel way more inspired coming home from gigs.
Totally. How do you find the techno scene in Toronto these days? I've only visited to work a few times and caught some Coma events.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

And status update: I think I got 1 and 2 going now from OP, 3 is going to take longer and I really need to listen to a lot more stuff that's out there.

Ironically I think the quickest way to get further with production will be to take a short break and get back into DJing finally. With the Traktor setup I made, hopefully I can play using Stems when available and stereo masters otherwise.

I think Stems will give good insight on how top producers mix down the four subgroups which is way less mysterious than a stereo master.

Plus a DJ rig fits in a single backpack while a live needs a heavy carry on bag.

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Mslwte wrote:i feel i cant make shit at the moment. resolution is to make something good and be happy with it. im ready to jack it in lol
My goal is the same here. Had bit of a break now because I wasn't happy with my previous results which led to many unfinished tracks hehe. But I think this year is going to be good.

sinesnsnares
Pig

Post by sinesnsnares »

quest wrote:
sinesnsnares wrote:A bit late to the party on this s one, but here goes:

Totally. How do you find the techno scene in Toronto these days? I've only visited to work a few times and caught some Coma events.
It's alright. There's some good acts coming to Toronto (Etapp kyle played friday, while truncate and benjamin damage played on saturday, both at toika). The scene seems focused on some of the more mainstream techno guys, but there's something every weekend and every once in a while we get really nice acts playing in small venues. Toika has been great, it's an small venue but they usually get more underground artists. Coda is usually good and gets the big names (Like Pan Pot this coming saturday), but it can be $$$$. I haven't been to Nest but I've heard good things about the sound system, and they've had a number of big names play there as well. On the smaller local end, Round in kensington do a night on thursdays that features locals (by that, canadian). It varies week to week, but it's often techno.