What is the future of bass in techno?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Barfunkel
Smalahove
Re: What is the future of bass in techno?

Post by Barfunkel »

Theory is just one tool in the arsenal. It's quite useful to know what key you're working with for instance, or how to form other chords than just major and minor triads. Basic stuff, but before I read about theory my music was a lot simpler. Now that I know a bit (though not a lot I must confess), I can make better melodies, more complex chord progressions and stuff. At least for me it's been useful. I'm not a natural talent though, making music isn't easy.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

innovine wrote:Some utterly shit advice being thrown out in this thread.
Because the initial question is utterly shit.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Ploy
skaghead

Post by Ploy »

Mono-xID wrote:
What's a valid question then?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mono-xID wrote:
Mattias wrote:Most "musicians" forgets the musicality in their creations.
Hence all techno producers call themselves "artists" and not "musicians". 8-)

well, I think most of them just call themselves producer and not musician.
I've always preferred "musician" to the word "producer",
but the longer I'm trying to do this, the more I can understand the word "producer",
because you're dealing with so many technical stuff that yeah, obviously the creation of the piece of music becomes more "producing" music than "playing" or "composing" music (in the traditional meaning of the word).

I don't like the word "artist" though,
I identify it far too much with big ego's who think they are extremely special just cause they create something.
But yeah, I don't live in a country where English is the main language, so I just prefer talking about being creative.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Ploy wrote:
Mono-xID wrote:
I would rather ask what the utterly shit advice is.
I mean, just say what the shit parts are and say why you think it's shit, and then give what you consider to be better advice.
but now you're not contributing nor helping anyone innovine (no offence). :)

I don't think the question from OP is utterly shit, but I can totally see Mono's point though.
Move away from the cliché's and just experiment.
So many things you can do with sound design nowadays (compared to for example the 1st decade techno existed).

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Ploy wrote:
Mono-xID wrote:
Dunno, but asking what is the future of bass in techno is a bit weird. My answer is experiment to try something fresh, an answer which covers a lot of these kind of questions.

Ploy
skaghead

Post by Ploy »

Mono-xID wrote:

Dunno, but asking what is the future of bass in techno is a bit weird. My answer is experiment to try something fresh, an answer which covers a lot of these kind of questions.
Its a bit odd, like asking what will happen in the stock market tomorrow. Maybe the guy is thinking people here have some insight into developing trends before they are happening?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Ploy wrote:
Mono-xID wrote:

Its a bit odd, like asking what will happen in the stock market tomorrow. Maybe the guy is thinking people here have some insight into developing trends before they are happening?
good point.

but are we that much into "trends" over here though ? :)

Ploy
skaghead

Post by Ploy »

I said insight into developing trends, meaning that people are in the know or like forward thinking or something along those lines... So what? People are clueless then.

What's the future of bass?
No fucking clue, now get the fuck out!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I'm only joking man. :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

The future of bass in techno is all about the brown note.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

Lost to the Void wrote:The future of bass in techno is all about the brown note.

So BrownStep is the future, you heard it here first folks.

(s'pose it's better than ClownStep).

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

I guess we just want movement :)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:The future of bass in techno is all about the brown note.
didn't someone here already mention that one ?

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

I heard a rumour that the future of bass was throwing a stereo processor at it and jacking it all the way up to 200%!!
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Yeah, the future of bass is having as wide a stereo signal as possible.
Loads of chorus on everything under 150hz

If it sounds shit just tell people

"You darn't narrr nuffin bruv, it's raw bruv, raw".
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

Probably the question was a little bit stupid or just weird, but it gave me what I was looking for, in my opinion it led to some interesting comments.
For the last couple of past months I ve been making a lot of music without achieving good results or a single decent track. I can say that I now have good techniques in making basslines, chords, whatever or some mixing skills, but no creativity at all, I am missing that spark that voidloss said. I can jam around with a synth for an hour and still nothing surprises me.
I was really asking about the current state of techno production, specifically its backbone, BASS.
Because as I said I am missing that spark and probably some creative tip about techno bass would help.

Probably i am taking both voidloss and mono`s advice either experiment and find the "future of bass" by myself or just quitting. I love music but it doesn't mean I am a musician.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Pelecaras wrote:"checklist techno"
That's brilliant haha. Gonna use that term from now on
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

TomasHD wrote:Probably the question was a little bit stupid or just weird, but it gave me what I was looking for, in my opinion it led to some interesting comments.
For the last couple of past months I ve been making a lot of music without achieving good results or a single decent track. I can say that I now have good techniques in making basslines, chords, whatever or some mixing skills, but no creativity at all, I am missing that spark that voidloss said. I can jam around with a synth for an hour and still nothing surprises me.
I was really asking about the current state of techno production, specifically its backbone, BASS.
Because as I said I am missing that spark and probably some creative tip about techno bass would help.

Probably i am taking both voidloss and mono`s advice either experiment and find the "future of bass" by myself or just quitting. I love music but it doesn't mean I am a musician.
Sounds to me like you just need a time out from producing Techno man. Don't make a thing for a month and then return with a clear head and I'm sure you'll be full of inspiration. It is possible to simply try too damn hard. Busy doing nothing etc etc etc
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

TomasHD wrote:Probably the question was a little bit stupid or just weird, but it gave me what I was looking for, in my opinion it led to some interesting comments.
Because as I said I am missing that spark.
I was in this state for over 6 months. I just started writing other music than techno and suddenly the spark came back. You can't force anything.