Purge

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
phlek
Exampleless
Purge

Post by phlek »

A track I've been sat on for ages, (the untitled version was previously posted in another thread), anyway a few tweaks and here we are :)

mr.chielos
Gnasher
Re: Purge

Post by mr.chielos »

The beginning sounds very promising but somehow it doesn't deliver imo. I expected some distorted percs or maybe a hook in the form of a synthline of some sorts but neither came. What sounds like an intro is basically the entire track, or at least the first half. In the first 2 minutres almost everything stays the same and al elements are there from the very first bar.
just before the second minutes you introduce a percusive element but it is too soft, should be more upfront. some distortion/overdrive would really help.
The pad/string sound could also be more present. maybe layer it with a lower octave?
So although I absolutely like the basics you have there i think there is A LOT more in it...

Sounds kinda negative but I can ensure you it's not! :D
overall groove and basic elements are ace.

phlek
Exampleless

Post by phlek »

Thanks for the feedback :) I won't be doing anything else with this track. I can see your points tho and all comments and criticism are positively taken onboard for future projects :)

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

To me, it's very well produced and mixed.

It's missing something that elevates it from merely being great sounding, to being 'wow'. It has the potential, rather you have the potential to make a proper 'wow' track.

You cunt.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

I'm gonna say the same thing I've been saying on a few other tracks - the track has all the aesthetics.. it can be great material to build a larger set with.

I really think a lot of people with the talent to make music like this shouldn't necessarily worry about making "tracks"... I decided to not worry about that. I am worrying only on the set. And I am making myself as many ingredients as possible to layer together. If a track is too fancy and stands all on its own, you can't do this as easily - you end up playing a traditional set that strings tracks together end to end like a bunch of hot dogs.

But I am a die hard fan of building textures and the spirit of live performance. Instead of twiddling knobs and recreating individual tracks like (or variations of the studio version), I am interested in building sets live out of building blocks. I don't think it's quite DJing or playing Live, it's somewhere in between, but I don't care about the terminology anymore... just the effect.

I really think people with a talent for making stuff like this should consider doing the same - make tons and tons of stuff like this, then experiment with layering.. splay your tracks out into stems, like Kick-Bass-Porc-Synths/FX... then mix kick from one, bass from another, etc.. you will be surprised how enjoyable this is.

maybe something like this can be the beginning of a new scene. a bunch of people who stopped caring about being billed as playing Live or playing a DJ set.. let's let go of those old concepts and just make sound :)

phlek
Exampleless

Post by phlek »

jordanneke wrote:To me, it's very well produced and mixed.

It's missing something that elevates it from merely being great sounding, to being 'wow'. It has the potential, rather you have the potential to make a proper 'wow' track.

You cunt.
Thanks you cunt, ha ha :) I wasn't planning to but might spend some more time on it to see if I can take it any further, or maybe try a different mix of it some added elements?

phlek
Exampleless

Post by phlek »

quest wrote:I'm gonna say the same thing I've been saying on a few other tracks - the track has all the aesthetics.. it can be great material to build a larger set with.

I really think a lot of people with the talent to make music like this shouldn't necessarily worry about making "tracks"... I decided to not worry about that. I am worrying only on the set. And I am making myself as many ingredients as possible to layer together. If a track is too fancy and stands all on its own, you can't do this as easily - you end up playing a traditional set that strings tracks together end to end like a bunch of hot dogs.

But I am a die hard fan of building textures and the spirit of live performance. Instead of twiddling knobs and recreating individual tracks like (or variations of the studio version), I am interested in building sets live out of building blocks. I don't think it's quite DJing or playing Live, it's somewhere in between, but I don't care about the terminology anymore... just the effect.

I really think people with a talent for making stuff like this should consider doing the same - make tons and tons of stuff like this, then experiment with layering.. splay your tracks out into stems, like Kick-Bass-Porc-Synths/FX... then mix kick from one, bass from another, etc.. you will be surprised how enjoyable this is.

maybe something like this can be the beginning of a new scene. a bunch of people who stopped caring about being billed as playing Live or playing a DJ set.. let's let go of those old concepts and just make sound :)
Yes I know where you're coming from, I do tend to work like that to get ideas or when I don't think something is working. Certainly good ideas, I do seem to spend a lot of time layering textures and messing around with FX :)

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

I like it. Quest raises some solid points about it all. I can only agree
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

phlek
Exampleless

Post by phlek »

Mattias wrote:I like it. Quest raises some solid points about it all. I can only agree
Thanks Mattias, I also agree and Quest do have some very valid points there, I do think that way of working is something that is happening more and more :)

Smith & King
broke

Post by Smith & King »

Very very good work my friend . True Techno!

phlek
Exampleless

Post by phlek »

Smith & King wrote:Very very good work my friend . True Techno!
Thank you :) Much appreciated :)

therottencircle
rescued

Post by therottencircle »

very nice man.
crispy tune
love it

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

I really enjoyed that. It was immerse, deep as fuck and hypnotic. Yeah, it is stripped back, it chugs along nicely and I got really lost in it.

TvSkY
Paul Gadd

Post by TvSkY »

nice

phlek
Exampleless

Post by phlek »

therottencircle wrote:very nice man.
crispy tune
love it
StacieAnne wrote:I really enjoyed that. It was immerse, deep as fuck and hypnotic. Yeah, it is stripped back, it chugs along nicely and I got really lost in it.
TvSkY wrote:nice
Thanks for the comments :) More coming soon, when I'm not stuck at work :cry:

terryfalafel
Component

Post by terryfalafel »

Very nice. I think the track is fine just as it is. I'd happily put it in a set.

I love the the high, pad type sounds. Are they really mangled synths, or samples / field recordings?

phlek
Exampleless

Post by phlek »

terryfalafel wrote:Very nice. I think the track is fine just as it is. I'd happily put it in a set.

I love the the high, pad type sounds. Are they really mangled synths, or samples / field recordings?
Thank you :) It will have been a VST synth to start with or a sample living on my HD, either way it will have been mangled and resampled at least once or twice :)