Contemporary Minimal...

General Chat // Music Discussion
Stace
Classical Approach
Re: Contemporary Minimal...

Post by Stace »

To me, it just seemed like it was a constant tease. I wanted it to go somewhere, anywhere. It never did.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

I have to thank minimal for getting me back into 4/4 in about 2007, when my oldest brother played a rare groove into funk into house into minimal set at my other brothers wedding's party.

Soon after I went off minimal and was into more maximal (regular, non minimal, whatever) techno again... before that techno didn't really grab me for about 6 years. I don't know about contemporary, most of the stuff which got me back into it in 2007 doesn't really interest me anymore.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Haven't really followed the minimal scene lately, so I got no idea if quality tracks are still made. I sometimes listen to stuff labeled as minimal in Decks.de, but nothing has grabbed my attention.

I sold or gave away most of my minimal records (not the Robert Hood, Basic Channel etc stuff, I'm talking about the mid 2000's stuff), but still have maybe about a 100 of them left. Won't sell them, there's quality stuff in there. Of course, most of it is just minimal in name, the tracks themselves are quite maximal.

This one has a special place in my heart:

youtu.be/l8o9gWbhFEQ

I was in Berlin for about 2 months when that was just released. It was played like 3 times a night in every single club I went to (and I went out a lot). The track's almost like a joke about minimal, it's just so fucking retarded (sorry if that word insults anyone). I love it!
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Barfunkel wrote:

youtu.be/l8o9gWbhFEQ

I was in Berlin for about 2 months when that was just released. It was played like 3 times a night in every single club I went to (and I went out a lot). The track's almost like a joke about minimal, it's just so fucking retarded (sorry if that word insults anyone). I love it!
Yeah, that track is sweet.

A bit like 'Mandarine girl' That track took my fucking head off around 2005. I think I left a lot of braincells back in 2003-2007

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Faust wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:If anyone is interested in the mnml-ish shit I did, some kind person has thrown it all on to youtube (who are these people that do this?)

here`s a playlist https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e5xlRL ... fl0XK-tQC2

Maaan, listening to the Black Narcissus stuff instantly transports me back to the BOA forum days. I always loved "Palliative Care Home Music" such a great moody track.

youtu.be/a318xZLE2uM

Ah cheers.
I think I might group all this stuff together and re-release it on bandcamp for free. It got lost the first time round, I was going through changes in music.

those links are dead by now... anyway you can listen to the full track(s) ??
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

StacieAnne wrote:To me, it just seemed like it was a constant tease. I wanted it to go somewhere, anywhere. It never did.
mnml as a metaphor for your sex life ?

I'll really go hide somewhere for the next 48 hours now ;)

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote:Haven't really followed the minimal scene lately, so I got no idea if quality tracks are still made. I sometimes listen to stuff labeled as minimal in Decks.de, but nothing has grabbed my attention.

I sold or gave away most of my minimal records (not the Robert Hood, Basic Channel etc stuff, I'm talking about the mid 2000's stuff), but still have maybe about a 100 of them left. Won't sell them, there's quality stuff in there. Of course, most of it is just minimal in name, the tracks themselves are quite maximal.

youtu.be/l8o9gWbhFEQ

yeah man, still have that one on my iPod after all these years...

one of my old colleagues was a young guy (22 or 24 or something ???), who was "producing" minimal as if it was just a newly discovered genre. :D

One day I remember him saying he was seriously thinking about buying a new pair of DJ heapdhones because some people made quite a few remarks about how he didn't use his headphones enough,
basically, the problem was that the folks on the dancefloor didn't see his headphones enough, so instead of his normal black pair of HD25's, he was considering getting a silver pair of the same headphones...
That's when I laughed my tits off and thought "my god, how far have we come ????" :shock: :? :lol:

so yeah, to OP, don't worry : still more than enough folks out there "producing" mnml...

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

That audion track is wicked, love it.

(both of these tracks below from around 2008?)

I also like this one, WARNING: this one is very MNML with its bassline and ethos, but I love the glitchyness and atmosphere:

youtu.be/TtTnAgsyLHE

And this one REALLY doesnt go anywhere (but I still like it). Its not your typical swing cheesy bass minimal, but its the best part of 19 minutes, and there is no hat on the upbeat, not even for drop effect, and no snare on the 2 and 4... just a kick and some atmosphere really. There is a hint of some sort of hat/ride after 3 minutes, but then it goes again. Maybe this is more progressive than minimal?

youtu.be/3OlhUGmR9kE

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote:

all these links work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e5xlRL ... fl0XK-tQC2
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

1nfinitezer0
Tiesto

Post by 1nfinitezer0 »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Hades wrote:

all these links work

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e5xlRL ... fl0XK-tQC2
None of those work for me either. Could be a country limitation thing.

Minimal techno is still huge here in Montréal, though not as big as it was of course. In fact, I recall hearing #3 from OP's post months ago at a party (thanks for the tip!)

Style-wise, it has sorta split from the mid-late 00s stuff into either: 1) clicky microhouse, mostly called minimal house around here, but whatever. 2) Or otherwise it's more of the "let's call it minimal but it's basically psytrance producers making slower things they call minimal", which is what that Dinsdale track parents posted sounds like to me.

The Robert Hood original style of minimal is rarely called that anymore, even by those who know the history. I still buy a lot of minimal techno, but it takes a lot more digging now, as it hit that formalization of a genre whereafter the style is defined so that imitators can jump on the bandwagon. (I was just looking for the Foucault bit about these stages my ex used to talk about. Starts with experimentation, moves through aggregation of traits, and once a name and stylistic definition sticks it gets rooted as an art movement and kinda stops, with further experimentation trying to define itself as different from that.)

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Lag
athlete

Post by Lag »

Cloaked wrote:http://www.juno.co.uk/products/ion-ludw ... 566888-01/ (check tracks 2 and 3)
Thanks for this, really enjoying it! The "Maternity" track is fucking godlike.
You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

willemb wrote:
And this one REALLY doesnt go anywhere (but I still like it). Its not your typical swing cheesy bass minimal, but its the best part of 19 minutes, and there is no hat on the upbeat, not even for drop effect, and no snare on the 2 and 4... just a kick and some atmosphere really. There is a hint of some sort of hat/ride after 3 minutes, but then it goes again. Maybe this is more progressive than minimal?

youtu.be/3OlhUGmR9kE

that link is already dead by now.
only decent idea I could find is this :
youtu.be/7gjibu_rxHs

fucking superb shit man ! thx for the link.
however, I think I hear a sort of hi-hat effect by the noise being slightly punched through with ....
You need to put it up loud to be able to hear it though...

somehow reminds of this one...
that sweeping random LFO modulated part that start from around 3:50....
fuck me, that gets me every fucking time...

youtu.be/O1uTNuSRzGI

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

Lag wrote:
Cloaked wrote:http://www.juno.co.uk/products/ion-ludw ... 566888-01/ (check tracks 2 and 3)
Thanks for this, really enjoying it! The "Maternity" track is fucking godlike.
Yep, as a pure producer, this guy is next level IMO. Check his first album too!

Actually, I wish I'd discovered him when I was REALLY into mnml stuff. But the ultimate compliment is that, he is just so good, that I had to make a post on the internet about him.

EDIT - here's a track from his (actually, second) album - the recording is quite low so needs a bit of volume.

youtu.be/Nv2xVvvuDEs

What I like with this guy is that his stuff is definitely minimal, but his drums and bass are proper gear, not anaemic "poot poot puff puff" like a lot of other minimal guys. Listen to what he does with the string / orchestral samples too. It's just so good.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Hades wrote:that link is already dead by now.
Still alive for me? Maybe its region based.
Hades wrote: fucking superb shit man ! thx for the link.
however, I think I hear a sort of hi-hat effect by the noise being slightly punched through with ....
Radioslave is the king of slow (non) builds for me. Some of his tunes have too many cheesy or vocal elements for me, but when it hits the spot, it hits it right!

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

willemb wrote:
Hades wrote:that link is already dead by now.
Still alive for me? Maybe its region based.
Hades wrote: fucking superb shit man ! thx for the link.
Radioslave is the king of slow (non) builds for me. Some of his tunes have too many cheesy or vocal elements for me, but when it hits the spot, it hits it right!
Agreed on Radioslave. 15 min tracks which somehow had enough about them. Very sparce in terms of sounds but each seems to count.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Have you heard Radioslave's lastest.

It's about as minimal as you can get. I love it.

I'll get slated here for posting it, but I love the track. I don't care.

youtu.be/Zdl4FzJcGLc

Cloaked
hunger marcher

Post by Cloaked »

"minimal tech house", that is, jordan.

well produced but not for me, personally.