How do you guys listen to music?

General Chat // Music Discussion
oversimplifier
middot
How do you guys listen to music?

Post by oversimplifier »

Curious as to how you all listen at home and when you're out and about.

At home I use Grado's SR-80e headphones, when I'm out iPhone earbuds, and the Grado's while I'm producing.

I tend to put albums on my phone to hear while I'm driving or out for walks and singles at home.

PixelKind
who is it?
Re: How do you guys listen to music?

Post by PixelKind »

I use my monitors at ome to listen to music (Yamaha HS80M). Trying to avoid using headphones too much when I'm home. When I am out I use some AKG K321 earbuds. At home I listen to whatever format comes along. When I am out its also mostly full albums or I stream from Mixcloud or Soundcloud

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Out and about I use UE-Superfi triple driver in ears on my mp3 player, which sound amazing, almost as good as my professional in ear monitors (Etymotic ER4P, accurate as fuck).
At home I listen to music all day as part of my job on the mastering monitors in the studio(currently LSR4328p`s with a LSR 4312sp sub unit networked in via Hi-Q), soon to be some orgasmically better mastering grade tower monitors built by the architect of the universe itself.
I also listen to music at home in the lounge, just for pleasure, when cooking or entertaining etc on a audiophile classic Class A Technics SU-X911 Separates system (from the 80`s) with it`s respective speakers, which sounds fucking lovely still.
And in the bedroom we have a panasonic mini hi fi thing.

I`m considering getting one of those remote systems where you can pipe music around the house with wireless speakers in each room. Not sure yet, only just bought this house so we are still planning shit.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

terly
arsehole

Post by terly »

I don't really listen to music on the go. At home I listen a lot on an old Phillips hi-fi system in the living room with some small satellites attached in the next room. Sounds pretty good in the house although the sub bass is attenuated. Sometimes I check stuff out on my monitors (also HS80m) but those are mostly for producing music. I actually prefer the warm, somewhat muffled sound of my old stereo. There are some other stereo components kicking around too, but for some reason I use this one.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

At home I listen mostly on my monitors Adam A77x, I rarely listen while out unless traveling then its just ear buds nothing special.
www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

With my ears!

(C'mon! Some gormless idiot had to do it. Also, gormless is a criminally under used word these days.)
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

tsaro
Lifer

Post by tsaro »

When I'm on my laptop lately some crappy headset I got for free somewhere, and (when I can find them, always fold them up and leave them somewhere) my Koss portapro. On my main system a pair of DT880s and Akai SW M30 speakers :lol: (though they are connected through a Cyrus One)
how far do you want to go

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

I sit at home naked with spicy condiments spread all over my body. It makes even the more plastic techno an interesting listening experience.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

ashley BORG wrote:I sit at home naked with spicy condiments spread all over my body. It makes even the more plastic techno an interesting listening experience.
:lol: :lol:
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Koichi
Wastedddd

Post by Koichi »

At home DT880s, walking I don't listen to music - simply because I have no MP3 player and the right output somehow broke on my phone so I only get left signal! Annoying!
I have access to a studio with Mackie HR824 for checking mixes. My own monitors are KRK Rockit 5 but I just stopped using them - find my headphones much more accurate and then doing mixing on Mackies when I can. Really not pleased with the Rockits - need money. New monitors!

Koichi
Wastedddd

Post by Koichi »

ashley BORG wrote:I sit at home naked with spicy condiments spread all over my body. It makes even the more plastic techno an interesting listening experience.
Reggae Reggae sauce is musical.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Wiu wrote:With my ears!

(C'mon! Some gormless idiot had to do it. Also, gormless is a criminally under used word these days.)
My Mrs uses that word to describe my look when watching football whilst she's talking to me :D

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Koichi wrote:
I prefer the original hot pepper sauce or Vietnamese chilli sauce. Now thats what I call music.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

In the car on a memory stick or cd. Or the likes of rinse or kool fm through an av reciever.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ashley BORG wrote:
Koichi wrote:
I prefer the original hot pepper sauce or Vietnamese chilli sauce. Now thats what I call music.

ask Pedro about the banana chili sauce and the humus ! :lol:

and tell him Elias got beaten up by the fucking Paki's, who called him a dirty Afghan fuck !

Night/day-shop war going on in the smalltown I live in... :shock:
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I actually think OP raised a very good question,
not just ony gear/system-wise, but also when and where do you listen to music ??
that's a nice thing to know about other true music fanatic lovers.

will get back to this with pleasure, but gotta go fetch my oldest from art school first.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

80% or more of the music listening is done in my studio (Apogee => Midas Venice => Focal Twin6BE's, fucking love those Focals)

the other 20% :

all over my house, I use several old 70's or 60's hi-fi systems, all refurbished to work at full potential,
usually it's vinyl on one of my SL1200's, and once in a while CD's on a 17 year old portable CD-player that still works fine after so many years of massive abuse ! :shock:
if it's not that, it's just one of my MBP's hooked up to the old hi-fi systems.
I swear getting vintage hi-fi was a superb move : costs very little money, and works forever if once checked and refurbished (if it even needed that).
And such a warm deep sound... mmmmm ! :)
(Yeah I know, what a cliché to say huh ? Try it though !)

I can get into detail about models of amps and speakers if anyone is interested.
in the studio now (1st floor), and my hi-fi is on the ground floor, too lazy to go and check.

Other than that I have a basic Bose 3-way "surround" set-up in my tv corner to watch films on (no cable tv).
Bose isn't really that bad,
(apart from their headphones which have horribly unbearable hyped lows !!! :shock: :shock:
I literally bought one and gave it away for free to a friend, totally unuseable if you listen to electronical music),
but yeah, you know, what's a mercedes if you have a ferrari or maserati, or a few vintage old-timers. ;)

"on the road" I usually listen to podcasts/mixes, because I usually listen to simply get more energy while doing sports or doing boring manual labour jobs...
(in the car it's just CD's, sometimes albums, sometimes mixes/podcasts)

which headphones ? totally depends on the situation :

Phonon SMB-02 in the studio for reference (superb headphones, and I've gone through quite a few) and if I'm on the road and I know the weather is nice and/or whatever I'm gonna do next, I can put the headphones away to a safe place (usually my backpack). I would hate them to break or get stolen or whatever.

Sennheiser HD25 for all dirty jobs and "unsafe" places. Combined with one of these in-the-neck models from sennheiser for doing sports.
I swear those HD25's are really indestructable...
My last in-the-neck-model literally started to rost completely from all my gym-sweat... :)
I was soooo happy when I found them on some online shop, cause nowadays it's all "in-ear" models, but I simply can't stand stuff inside my ears.
I have hyper-acousis and my ears are really over-sensitive I'm afraid...

Other than that I still have a pair of Grado's SR325i's and Ultrasone Pro750's which I haven't used one single time since I got my Phonon pair...

I NEVER listen to radio apart from a classic radio station my mrs puts on every morning for about an hour,
I can't stand any normal radio except for maybe some very specialized internet radio station...

that's about it, I think

oversimplifier
middot

Post by oversimplifier »

which Hi-Fi speakers do you use?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

oversimplifier wrote:which Hi-Fi speakers do you use?
Kenwood KA5700 amp with Pioneer HPM100 speakers in my living room downstairs
Marantz 1050 amp with Pioneer HPM60 speakers in my dining room.

I've got another set of speakers from a more obscure brand, and 1 or 2 amps, all in my cellar,
waiting to get used when the 1st floor vinyl room will be ready.

HPM100's are exactly the same as the 60's, only they have bigger woofers.
Really superb set of speakers, and you can easily find them for maybe 200€ or less (the HPM60's).
I've even known someone giving his away. And they are fucking brilliant for electronical music.

Some day, if I ever get more money, I might buy myself a serious hi-fi system,
and I think I will get myself a Focal surround system for my downstairs living room, when I finally buy a decent tv for there,
but that most likely ain't gonna happen in the first few years...

Hyle
crud

Post by Hyle »

Unfortunately, from my monitors which I use to produce, too.
I was thinking about buying a decent hi-fi with a subwoofer just because I listen to dub/reggae 70% of my time, but I have never enough money to do it.