Any Vril fans here?

General Chat // Music Discussion
oversimplifier
middot
Any Vril fans here?

Post by oversimplifier »

I can't get enough of his music lately. Especially his Resident Advisor Mix :shock:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-paGC-_uII0

His vibe is so on-point. I can't think of anyone that's at his level right now, emotionally. I feel like I'm in space staring back at earth.

Alume
Confetti
Re: Any Vril fans here?

Post by Alume »

I'm not sure, I think I know him but it didnt stick around.

I'd like to congratulate you with signing in at 430 though:)

Spacefunk
Exampleless

Post by Spacefunk »

Saw him live few months ago, i honestly did not see anything special about his work

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

*puts hand up*

Lag
athlete

Post by Lag »

Thronwagen probably techno track of the year for me.
You have to systematically create confusion, it sets creativity free. Everything that is contradictory creates life.

Mono-xID
Uumfääng

Post by Mono-xID »

Not feeling his style. Sounds like anyone else to me.
http://soundcloud.com/monoxid

Behringer = ARTS label of synths

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Kinda generic.

Very Resident Badadvisor.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:Kinda generic.

is all of it generic as soon as it's not ultra-original mega-distorted whatever techno ?

Come on now, I know RA sucks 80% of the time (if not more),
hell, I think most people know that.
But the 20% that they do deliver, I'm very happy with that.
I'm not ashamed to say I started out with listenig to their podcasts many years ago,
they've gone down quality-wise for the best part of 2 years (at least), but the last year they are making a mean come-back.

And that Vril RA podcast...
I remember a certain part where he takes one of his own tracks and puts some kind of rhodes improvisation on top,
fucking loved that part, didn't sound generic at all to me !
If that's generic, then I'll gladly settle for generic and have my left testicle listen to all the true techno out there... ;)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Hades wrote:

is all of it generic as soon as it's not ultra-original mega-distorted whatever techno ?

I'm not ashamed to say I started out with listenig to their podcasts many years ago,
they've gone down quality-wise for the best part of 2 years (at least), but the last year they are making a mean come-back.

I remember a certain part where he takes one of his own tracks and puts some kind of rhodes improvisation on top,
If that's generic, then I'll gladly settle for generic and have my left testicle listen to all the true techno out there... ;)

No, and whatever gave you the rather bizarre idea that my tastes and/or music only deal with distortion. Both my own musical history and all the stuff I like is pretty eclectic.

Vril just happens to sound, to me, like every personality-free dub-ish techno ever.
Sweetcorn techno.
It`s not bad, but I been in to this music for a long time, I want a little bit more from it than not bad.
New Shit

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

boooooooooooooooooring

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Hades wrote:

No, and whatever gave you the rather bizarre idea that my tastes and/or music only deal with distortion. Both my own musical history and all the stuff I like is pretty eclectic.

Vril just happens to sound, to me, like every personality-free dub-ish techno ever.
Sweetcorn techno.
It`s not bad, but I been in to this music for a long time, I want a little bit more from it than not bad.
I know you have a wide taste Steve, don't worry ;)
it's just that when one reads your words, you seem very selective about what is considered good stuff and what is poo or sweetcorn techno.
I guess it's because you are passionate about what you do.

But tastes just differ, and to me for example, Vril always sounded nice, distorted dubby chords driven techno with a decent groove.
At least when you heard a Vril track a few years ago, you could always tell it was a Vril track, which is not a thing I can say from a lot of producers.
Admittedly, perhaps he has been repeating that same kind of style a bit too much, but I'll admit I barely listened to any new techno for most part of the year since I had no money to buy vinyl, and digging up new music would have only made me depressed for not being able to buy it properly as I used to do.

but don't tell me you don't have a serious love for distortion if you build your own distortion units. Or did I misunderstand that one as well ? :)

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

This year I know of a promoter who was hell bent on booking him.
Thought I'd see what I was missing out on. Nothing special really. It just seemed like because he's on Dystopian that he must be good.

Reminds me of when I saw Kobosil live and just didn't get the hype. Again it was like he's on MDR so..... I remember during that set he played a minute of solo kick drum, and then introduced a 16th note hi hats and everyone went crazy. I'm obviously missing something. :lol:

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

How could you not love that Ashley, thats freakin awesome!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Jeff Mills and his 909 ?

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I dont know, I was just ranting a bit.

I'm not that big on Jeff Mills either. I value his contribution to the scene and his work in general. But I would pay to see him somewhere.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Hades wrote:
I know you have a wide taste Steve, don't worry ;)
it's just that when one reads your words, you seem very selective about what is considered good stuff and what is poo or sweetcorn techno.
I guess it's because you are passionate about what you do.

But tastes just differ, and to me for example, Vril always sounded nice, distorted dubby chords driven techno with a decent groove.
At least when you heard a Vril track a few years ago, you could always tell it was a Vril track, which is not a thing I can say from a lot of producers.
Admittedly, perhaps he has been repeating that same kind of style a bit too much, but I'll admit I barely listened to any new techno for most part of the year since I had no money to buy vinyl, and digging up new music would have only made me depressed for not being able to buy it properly as I used to do.

but don't tell me you don't have a serious love for distortion if you build your own distortion units. Or did I misunderstand that one as well ? :)

Like I said, to me, it`s not bad. I just want more than just not bad.
I`ve been mainlining techno in to my veins for a long time, it takes a stronger hit than not bad to get me excited.
Also I master a lot of the shit. It all starts to sound the same after a while because it fucking is.

I built my own distortions and other units (Can of pain, NVidimurder, Violint etc) as part of my self built noise generation matrix so I had a way of generating sound that is completely unique to me, and also, there was nothing I could buy that had the features I wanted. A Sherman filterbank will always sound like a sherman filterbank etc No one has the setup I have, you can`t buy it from a store. That was important to me.

Pretty much the same reason I have had valve monoblocks custom made for driving the mastering studio monitors, I wanted something exactly to my spec that I couldn`t get off the shelf.

I don`t buy a lot of gear, I don`t collect gear, I don`t tend to "fiddle about" in the studio, I generally know what I want to do before I switch stuff on, my inspiration comes from my own peculiar mental afflictions, so I don`t often treat myself, but when I do get something then it has to be special.

Saying that, I am developing a rather worrying lust for guitar stuff....
I hope it passes, but I do have all this space in the new studios, and after using so many lovely amps on my album I do really like Engl`s. And Soldano`s. And Sun 0))) amps. And Suhr........... Ooh, and Victory Amps....
And maybe a Baritone Guitar. And a picollo bass, I reckon power chords on that would be sick...and...
oh
fuck.
New Shit

dubdub
Asphyxiwank

Post by dubdub »

Sure, he hasn't reinvented the weel, but saying his music doesn't have any personality, just because it works within familiar realms seems a bit extreme to me. If you'd give me a stack of unlabeled dub techno promos, I could immediately tell you which one is by Vril. Which obviously isn't the case for the other 99% of dub techno producers.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Alume wrote:I dont know, I was just ranting a bit.

I'm not that big on Jeff Mills either. I value his contribution to the scene and his work in general. But I would pay to see him somewhere.
ow same here.
I paid lots of money for that Axis book he released about 2 years ago,
only to cut it up in pieces and use the artwork to hang up in my studio :D
so I kind of see the guy on a daily basis, but not really obvious shots, and I don't even pay attention to him anymore, you know ?

But anyway, I was trying to say : Mills has been doing that cheap trick with the boom boom boom with his 909 for years,
and the crowd always still goes nuts.
I guess it's just a fact that most people are easy to impress or just a bunch of followers or whatever, I don't know... :)

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Alume wrote:How could you not love that Ashley, thats freakin awesome!
I know that NOW...

It took a lot of post-event self reflection. I even tried to recreate the moment at home. Shutting the curtains. Loading various kicks in to the DAW, experimenting with various timings before unleashing the hi hats.

Then I even went on a 3 day bender...

No luck. I couldn't get anywhere near what he achieved that night in Fabric.
So now I have a new found respect for him.
To master something that simple takes serious ability.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ashley BORG wrote: To master something that simple takes serious ability.

quite indeed !

but how do I get that serious ability ?
and even more important :
how do I open a subsekt topic on how to acquire that serious ability ?

and do I have the right compressor for that ?