Do you know some nice affordable speakers for the xone 92?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
TomasHD
slipper
Do you know some nice affordable speakers for the xone 92?

Post by TomasHD »

Hi, I bought a couple of months ago the allen & heath one 92 mixer, but it is sounding horrible with my 5 inch M audio speakers (I know they are rubbish).
The low end is annoying and I can't hear all the frequencies how they should.

So I want to buy a new pair of speakers, which ones would you recommend? I ve searched the yamaha HS8 and the Rokit 8 (not really sure about those).

My choice obviously would be some Genelec or Adam but they are way too expensive for me. I just need something nice and bassy, good for techno.

Thnks for your help

AxeD
durchfall
Re: Do you know some nice affordable speakers for the xone 9

Post by AxeD »

Just for general listening purposes and djing or also for monitoring/mixing?

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

Yes, preferably both

Markus Wolf
reverse genius

Post by Markus Wolf »

TomasHD wrote:Hi, I bought a couple of months ago the allen & heath one 92 mixer, but it is sounding horrible with my 5 inch M audio speakers (I know they are rubbish).
The low end is annoying and I can't hear all the frequencies how they should.

So I want to buy a new pair of speakers, which ones would you recommend? I ve searched the yamaha HS8 and the Rokit 8 (not really sure about those).

My choice obviously would be some Genelec or Adam but they are way too expensive for me. I just need something nice and bassy, good for techno.

Thnks for your help
http://www.jblpro.com/www/products/reco ... k_t03vWdjA

For the price that they go for they are prob some of the best speakers in this bracket. They will sound much better than KRK's. Warning: They are rear ported so they wont play nice if you have to have them close to a wall. Honestly best thing to do is load up your ipod/phone with music that you would be djing go to you're local music store and play them on a range of speaker's in you're price range and make the call. They come in 5" also. A little acoustic treatment goes a long way, look into that. Its relatively cheap to improve the sound of you're room/monitors with some acoustic treatment. I listened to these when they first came out and compared them with some higher end speakers and for the price i really liked them. I didnt buy them because I already had a pair of Adam's. Good luck.

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

I don't think there is something specifically good with that mixer in particular.
If you sound starts to be "horrible" as soon as you use the Xone 92 there is a problem.

That mixer doesn't color the sound, so you only have to choose good monitors (with a subwoofer if you want to feel the subs like they are are designed) if you want a good sound.

What is your budget here?

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

I have a pair of these, they rock a party as well

QSC K8s

http://www.qsc.com/live-sound/products/ ... /k-series/

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Dust Layer wrote:I don't think there is something specifically good with that mixer in particular.
If you sound starts to be "horrible" as soon as you use the Xone 92 there is a problem.

That mixer doesn't color the sound, so you only have to choose good monitors (with a subwoofer if you want to feel the subs like they are are designed) if you want a good sound.

What is your budget here?
Remember to turn off the filters and/or turn down the resonance when you're not using the filters. When used improperly, the xone92 can colour sound. Use it right and it doesn't colour sound.

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

Yes i was talking with eqs at zero and filters off.

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

It isn't a problem of misuse, I think the speakers can't handle the mixer sonically speaking.
I turned off the filters and the bass still sounding horrible.
my setup at the moment is traktor with an audio 2 and the mixer. Could be the sound card?

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

Strange, i don't see why it sounds "horrible" with that mixer and normal without it.

I think there must be a problematic setting on the mixer or in your music software.
Maybe a setting on your soundcard or a cable problem.

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

TomasHD wrote:It isn't a problem of misuse, I think the speakers can't handle the mixer sonically speaking.
my setup at the moment is traktor with an audio 2 and the mixer. Could be the sound card?

Ahh Traktor, make sure the gain is setup right on :

1: individual channels
2: Mains
3 limiter is not on

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

ekwipt wrote:
TomasHD wrote:It isn't a problem of misuse, I think the speakers can't handle the mixer sonically speaking.

Ahh Traktor, make sure the gain is setup right on :

1: individual channels
2: Mains
3 limiter is not on
Thanks mate you are a genius, haha. that was it, it is better now, anyway the speakers tend to exaggerate a lot the lows.

ekwipt
Smore

Post by ekwipt »

Sweet!

1nfinitezer0
Tiesto

Post by 1nfinitezer0 »

Traktor gain staging is kinda wack in general I've found. I can hear it easily on other DJs now, but I've gotten to the point where I give it way too much headroom and then just turn the soundcard main out up to match up with the mixer trim reasonably. I'm assuming it's all floating point internally anyways.

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

True, Thats why I ve been considering switching to cdjs, keeping a traktor setup is much more complicated in my opinion