The exercise thread!

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: The exercise thread!

Post by Hades »

SigEnt wrote:BTW, Amphetamine Sulphate is cheaper than a Gym membership and will certainly keep the pounds off..... just sayin' ;)

Have you ever seen a fat speed freak?.......... nope, thought not.
ow if it was only that simple.

I know someone who's on top at all times,
and yet is slowly gaining weight before the final heart attack... :D
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Hades wrote:if someone would post a topic that would be more oriented towards our inner selves, I would have far less trouble with it,
but a topic only focused on outer appearance right now,
sorry, just feels wrong.

youtu.be/LCcZqcPOlNM

:D

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Working the Mid/Side spread myself...

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Hades wrote:if someone would post a topic that would be more oriented towards our inner selves, I would have far less trouble with it,
sorry, just feels wrong.
Exercising is not so much about the looks, it's about being healthy. A well-defined, nice looking body is just a byproduct of it.

And anyways, people are holistic creatures. Your health partly defines your inner self too. And your inner self defines your health. Separating the two is artificial.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

msl wrote:Working the Mid/Side spread myself...

I've been distorting my body shape for a while now

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Dust Layer wrote:Before exercises maybe you should look at what you eat and how much?
This. Eating is 80% of the battle.

I follow a vegan diet for ethical reasons. The health benefits are basically ridiculous. In the 2 years I have been living this life style I have never felt better and never eaten better.
I eat as much as I want without counting calories. I eat when I am hungry and I eat until I am full and I don't feel like shit after.

Coming from Sheffield it is pretty much a given that climbing should be my main form of exercise, which it is. I go a couple of times a week, bouldering and routes. I wouldn't change it for the world. It is such an amazing way to let steam off and it is good for you.

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

Barfunkel wrote:
sorry, just feels wrong.
Exercising is not so much about the looks, it's about being healthy. A well-defined, nice looking body is just a byproduct of it.

And anyways, people are holistic creatures. Your health partly defines your inner self too. And your inner self defines your health. Separating the two is artificial.
Maybe that is just your perception of it Hades? I saw the title and that didn't even cross my mind, it is out fitness and heath for me, not about looks. It is about spending time doing something I love. The physical appearance side of it doesn't even cross my mind.

Koichi
Wastedddd

Post by Koichi »

Here's a great challenge - incremental build yourself up to being able to do 100 push ups.

http://hundredpushups.com/

I've never achieved it, always gave up at like week 3 of 8 - but I'm sure it's great if your not such a lazy cunt as I and can follow it through!

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

jordanneke wrote: fewer carbs
I eat so so many carbs and I feel good for it, my weight is low and I am healthy. Carbs are not the enemy here. You need carbs.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

StacieAnne wrote:
I eat so so many carbs and I feel good for it, my weight is low and I am healthy. Carbs are not the enemy here. You need carbs.
I didn't say you don't need carbs.

If you want to get ripped, then you should eat fewer carbs.

Not forgetting that many people take in carbs in the form of refined sugar which is 'pretty much' unnecessary, unless you are performing some endurance cardio like long distance cycling etc....

The two most effective types of excercise to do just for fat loss are either ridiculously high intensity intervals, or slow steady cardio in a carb depleted state (first thing in the morning, after eating very few carbs the night before).

Stace
Classical Approach

Post by Stace »

jordanneke wrote:
StacieAnne wrote:
I didn't say you don't need carbs.

If you want to get ripped, then you should eat fewer carbs.

Not forgetting that many people take in carbs in the form of refined sugar which is 'pretty much' unnecessary, unless you are performing some endurance cardio like long distance cycling etc....

The two most effective types of excercise to do just for fat loss are either ridiculously high intensity intervals, or slow steady cardio in a carb depleted state (first thing in the morning, after eating very few carbs the night before).
Sorry, I think that was an instinctive reaction to people that go on about the Atkins diet. The issue with any diet, is, it is a diet. Restricting your food intake will only fuck you up in the long run, you need to find something that works for you and stick to it.
Crash diets are just fucking ridiculous. You will pile the weight back on and then more, not to mention the metabolic damage that happens.
My only aim is fitness, not weight loss. That for me is a much better journey and I am not really out to get ripped ;)

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Totally,

Crash diets and eliminating whole groups of food are not good for the long run. Unless you want to look shredded for all the bro's and ho's in Ibeefa innit. Ya get me...... : )

But you can 'taper' which means eating sensibly, but eating all your carbs in the morning/ lunch, when you are actually going to use them for the energy.

Eating carbs at night is mostly not needed, providing you eat enough protein and veg for dinner.

But Barfunkel did ask about weight (fat) loss and getting more 'buff'.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

StacieAnne wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:

Maybe that is just your perception of it Hades? I saw the title and that didn't even cross my mind, it is out fitness and heath for me, not about looks. It is about spending time doing something I love. The physical appearance side of it doesn't even cross my mind.
you could be right Stace, maybe my perception of exercise is deformed by so many years of going to a boring gym full of semi (sometimes wanna-be) macho's,
one half being guys who go far too often and think everyone wants to look like them.
the other half hopeless losers who walk around almost scared shitless from the 1st half, or in massive awe for them, thinking they'll get there by drinking the right fitness shakes...
And now I'm only talking about the best gym I ever found, and the male half of the crowd. :shock:

But hey : barfunkel's OP with that wonderful Fabio pic didn't ecxactly give me an idea of something else.
Because trust me on this : the sports which give you proper pecs are very few and far between,
and hunky hunk Fabio has semi-decent pecs.
So he's a swimmer or a gym-goer.

I've switched from being a slave of the gym to going whenever I had the time (with 2 kids that's hard),
and twice a year going for a full-blown month of going almost every 2 days.
I know that's not as healthy as going say twice every week, but I've grown so sick of it, it's terrible.

Currently I'm looking for some sport I can do and actually enjoy, so that when I go to the gym just once a week, it's only as an add-on, but not my main sport.

In the last 3 months though, I've done sports maybe 3 or 4 times, and I haven't been in the gym since end of july.
The owner is gonna laugh when I get back in, but he knows I'm a "stayer", and that I just pick up at barely 15% less of my normal program and I'm up there at my usual program in only a few weeks time. I've always been a man of extremes.
So fucking what if everything's gonna hurt like crazy for a week or so. :)

Last august, when Pedro was here, we went biking, and the poor guy couldn't keep up with me at all, though I only bike once every few weeks,
so hey, I guess I'm still rather ok for my age if a guy who's 20 can't keep up.

but I'm gonna sue my balance for slander though for what it did to me this morning, there's no doubt about that... :lol:

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Hades,

Come mountain biking with me!

I bought a new cyclocross bike and use it whenever I can. I'm doing a tour (hopefully) this Sunday.

I have some sexy lycra too....

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

jordanneke wrote:Hades,

Come mountain biking with me!

I bought a new cyclocross bike and use it whenever I can. I'm doing a tour (hopefully) this Sunday.

I have some sexy lycra too....
I told you that story about how I almost got run over by a hord of deer, right ?

I still have the appartment in the Eifel region btw, but it might get permanently rented very soon...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

and I know you have some nice lycra (see other topic :mrgreen: )

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Koichi wrote:Here's a great challenge - incremental build yourself up to being able to do 100 push ups.

I've never achieved it, always gave up at like week 3 of 8 - but I'm sure it's great if your not such a lazy cunt as I and can follow it through!
i did this a few years ago, I reached my limits around week 5, i could do 70ish at that point. I never seemed to be able to improve more than that and suspected it really needed a more well rounded strength program to progress. As ive since started some weights I may be better at it now.

SigEnt
will fuck for food

Post by SigEnt »

Koichi wrote:Here's a great challenge - incremental build yourself up to being able to do 100 push ups.

A possible new subsekt challenge?

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

StacieAnne wrote:
Dust Layer wrote:Before exercises maybe you should look at what you eat and how much?
This. Eating is 80% of the battle.

I follow a vegan diet for ethical reasons. The health benefits are basically ridiculous. In the 2 years I have been living this life style I have never felt better and never eaten better.
I eat as much as I want without counting calories. I eat when I am hungry and I eat until I am full and I don't feel like shit after.

Can I just give you a personal story to contradict yours a bit Stace ?

My wife is a huge animal lover, so she was a vegetarian from when she was 15 till after our oldest got born 8 years ago,
all for ethical reasons, just like you.
In fact, when I learned to cook, I learned to cook vegetarian first, and for years I was even a little nervous if I had to prepare anything with expensive meat in my kitchen.

My wife almost bled to death when she got a huge bleeding right after giving birth to our oldest,
so she was forced by doctors to start eating meat again, because she needed the iron.
We do have iron pills of course, but she got terribly sick from that stuff, so that was no option.
Anyway, before she ate meat again, she was always complaining about how tired she felt,
and she just drank coffee and energy drinks tons of time.
She literally said that as soon as she started eating meat again, she felt sooo much better.
And trust me when I say I always cooked healthy meals (and still do), and we looked for a decent vegetarian diet,..
And the last thing she ever wanted to admit was that meat could actually prove to be healthy.

In the end : I never felt any difference between eating vegetarian and eating with meat.
But I always felt a massive difference between eating unhealthy food and healthy food.
If I eat junk food like McDonalds once a year, it will be a lot,
and as a student I ate so much junk food, it was terrible,
but as soon as I started working out seriously, I never felt like eating that shit again.
People don't believe me if say I almost never eat candy, and maybe 4x a year some chocolate.
But I just never wanted to eat that stuff anymore after doing lots of sports.
It was as if my body automatically started asking for healthy food.
So yeah, for me doing sports led me to eating healthy, and not vice versa.

But anyway, my original point was : I don't think this works for everyone. Some people just need meat to have more energy, others don't.

Who knows, maybe some day you'll completely shock Paul and Lily by saying you're pregnant,
and your body is gonna crave for nothing but unhealthy junk food... :lol: