Tips or feedback in my demo

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
TomasHD
slipper
Tips or feedback in my demo

Post by TomasHD »

Hi, after posting a few tracks and here and receiving pretty cool tips and advices, I would like to share this track, which I personally consider is pretty solid.

So I appreciate any comment or tip you may add, either of the mix, composition or anything you may consider.

My attempt is basically to keep things interesting, few elements but sitting perfectly in the mix. (I am no sure if I should add something else, I feel the track is basically complete)

Do you think it is worth of sending it somewhere?

Cheers

Dust Layer
leper
Re: Tips or feedback in my demo

Post by Dust Layer »

I consider it semi liquid.

Sorry haha, cool track. Seems well produced but maybe a little more tension would be better for my tastes.
I'm sure a lot of people will like it as it is.

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

Dust Layer wrote:I consider it semi liquid.

Sorry haha, cool track. Seems well produced but maybe a little more tension would be better for my tastes.
I'm sure a lot of people will like it as it is.
Yeah, i would like to add more tension as well, but not sure if it is a matter of fx, automation,synths, I don't know to be honest

mattie
refusenik

Post by mattie »

If it were me i would try add something like a rhythmic midi note pattern, synth patch perhaps intense or menacing from around 3.00 on to the break and again after with more variation to lift the energy levels at the final stages.

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

mattie wrote:If it were me i would try add something like a rhythmic midi note pattern, synth patch perhaps intense or menacing from around 3.00 on to the break and again after with more variation to lift the energy levels at the final stages.
Yeah, I tried to add some subtle sounds but it became too dense, and this track is intended to be a solid track for a dj set. So if I add to much layers it will lose its groove.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

I liked it. Simple and hypnotic. Not sure about sending out though, the competition is fierce these days.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Strong intro..

To build tension you could use that hat build up that you used at 1.27 a couple more times, without actually introducing the hats. Just use the build.

You could also filter the synth pattern and automate it a bit more before the break. It starts so strong, that there is nowhere to go further with it, and it's quite a long time before it does get filtered. I'd be tempted to double the pattern and off-set it during the break, and have it build, or automate a filter delay to have the same effect. As it stands, the break just seems like the kick goes away for a bit

I think that's what my issue, is that the synth line is good, but needs to change more.

Good stuff man.

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

jordanneke wrote:Strong intro..

To build tension you could use that hat build up that you used at 1.27 a couple more times, without actually introducing the hats. Just use the build.

You could also filter the synth pattern and automate it a bit more before the break. It starts so strong, that there is nowhere to go further with it, and it's quite a long time before it does get filtered. I'd be tempted to double the pattern and off-set it during the break, and have it build, or automate a filter delay to have the same effect. As it stands, the break just seems like the kick goes away for a bit

I think that's what my issue, is that the synth line is good, but needs to change more.

Good stuff man.

Cheers, really cool stuff you gave me here, I am really into minimalism and my main goal is to achieve a consistent and interesting sounds through few strong elements. So my fear would be adding to much elements into the track so then It will lose its feeling.

when you say about doubling the pattern, you mean adding some kind of layer?

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

Barfunkel wrote:I liked it. Simple and hypnotic. Not sure about sending out though, the competition is fierce these days.
Thats the thing really amazing stuff being released these days

bergertron
site spammer

Post by bergertron »

TomasHD wrote:
jordanneke wrote:Strong intro..

Good stuff man.

Cheers, really cool stuff you gave me here, I am really into minimalism and my main goal is to achieve a consistent and interesting sounds through few strong elements. So my fear would be adding to much elements into the track so then It will lose its feeling.

when you say about doubling the pattern, you mean adding some kind of layer?
Sorry I can't listen to this at the moment in work.
I was just reading the feedback and I think jordanneke means to duplicate the Synth and make relevant changes to thicken or layer (I could be wrong)
I have used this method myself where I might slowly bring a duplicated synth in to enhance the core synth.

The duplicate might be detuned or slightly modified or even just some automation of an effect or all above

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

What I was trying to suggest was doubling the track, and then delaying it by a step or two, sort of creating a delay, but with which you could have build/filter/reverb/automate. Basically using what you have to create a bit more complexity.

Another thing that I've done is change the loop point of the loop half way through, then back again. Sometimes that creates an interesting groove, again without adding anything new.

Whether it would work or not is a different matter

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

jordanneke wrote:What I was trying to suggest was doubling the track, and then delaying it by a step or two, sort of creating a delay, but with which you could have build/filter/reverb/automate. Basically using what you have to create a bit more complexity.

Another thing that I've done is change the loop point of the loop half way through, then back again. Sometimes that creates an interesting groove, again without adding anything new.

Whether it would work or not is a different matter

I did it, and it worked in the breakdown, it brought a little bit more complexity, but I feel It keeps getting repetitive, I ll try by adding some sort of pad or synths I guess

Thanks

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Personal preference: I can't stand that type of "big room" snappy kick. For me the track would be way better with another kick, more saturated, more 150-230 hz body!
Edit: I have a weak spot for this kind of straight up no nonsense driving techno so please make a version with another kick haha
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

Mattias wrote:Personal preference: I can't stand that type of "big room" snappy kick. For me the track would be way better with another kick, more saturated, more 150-230 hz body!
Edit: I have a weak spot for this kind of straight up no nonsense driving techno so please make a version with another kick haha
Yeah I could I try by changing the kick and see how that goes, you think the track itself is nonsense or its just for the kick?
I do hate non sense stuff, it could be a subjective thing, but I would trash this track if its generally considered nonsense techno.

I didnt make this track in one hour, i usually create loops and think about them over weeks or days until i think there is something interesting.

Cheers Mattias

Your productions are a huge inspiration for me.

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Ha ha, lost in translation.

He likes it. He said it was 'no nonsense' as in 'straight up'.

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

haha oh my bad, I didnt read that 'no'.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Yup lost in translation. The track is solid
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

ayusounds
fake

Post by ayusounds »

cool track, i like it how it is right now, but would love to hear the "other kick" version as well :)

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

I will create another kick that fits well the track.
the kick that mattias and you would are referring to is something raw and punchy?
909 or gritty? what type of kick exactly

My perspective of kicks its just what sounds ok to me.

EKT
BAD

Post by EKT »

I dig that hypnotic synth sequence... I hope you find a bassdrum that doesn't change the whole feel of the track.