Re: Softsynthsss

Post by Ploy »

Another vote for Reaktor.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

rktic wrote:Btw, the selling point about stuff like Alchemy and Omnisphere are their huge sample libraries. Since you already started recording samples stuff i think you should rather develop your own way of layering.
Omnisphere 1, yes, which is basically a very flexible ROMpler (don't hate me, Hades :D). Omnisphere 2 supports sample import and Alchemy always did. The latter is excellent for fucking around with your field recordings, layering them and adding synth layers well. I have no idea how good Omniphere 2 is with user samples.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:
rktic wrote:Btw, the selling point about stuff like Alchemy and Omnisphere are their huge sample libraries. Since you already started recording samples stuff i think you should rather develop your own way of layering.
Omnisphere 1, yes, which is basically a very flexible ROMpler (don't hate me, Hades :D). Omnisphere 2 supports sample import and Alchemy always did. The latter is excellent for fucking around with your field recordings, layering them and adding synth layers well. I have no idea how good Omniphere 2 is with user samples.

incorrect mr Planar !! :mrgreen:
Atmosphere was basically a glorified rompler.
Omni 1 was a combination of rompler with VA, and allowed basic other synthesis like FM and granular.

From what I can tell, Omni 2 is about as handy with using samples as Alchemy is :
basically a pain in the ass to import your own samples, or to adjust them once they are imported.
In my own opinion you are losing so much time with the process that you lose interest because it kills your inspiration.
But then I only gave it a try a handful of times uptill now, just like I did with Alchemy back in the days...

But yeah, if someone like me (who has many many vices but definitely not a lack of patience) has this impression so soon,
it's usually not a good sign...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

That's the 2nd time I've read on here someone saying Alchemy is hard to import sounds into. I'm obviously missing something here, you load them into an oscillator from a simple menu. It's almost trivial.

Then again, I've got my head around Reaktors interface, so maybe I'm a patient man...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

well, maybe we compare it to different standards.
whenever I can drag and drop an audio file from wherever in my computer into Live as an audio clip,
or, even better, into Simpler or Sampler and it all goes well,
then I'm happy.
that's a quick and swift way to work with samples.

But whenever I gotta open up menu's, search for the sample, then locate it somewhere on my computer, load it up,
usually having to wait a few seconds before it's all fully loaded...
nah man, it's 2015, if Live can make it that easy, so should Camel Audio and Sepctrasonics be able to,
and you know how much I like Omnipshere... ;)

Did I tell you that I LOVE Omnisphere Planar ???

Did I tell you I like playing piano ??

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

Interesting, so after reading this thread I'm thinking of buying Reaktor over saving up for a hardware modular. So my question is, are there many filter types and envelope emulations of famous synths or do I have to make them on my own? I was looking into making wavetable and FM with various filters. I want to do stuff like moog filters with fm oscilators.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

You can open structures of ensembles and kind of "copy paste" the filters or modules you want and implant in other ensembles. With a little bit of trickery and knowledge.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

gedda wrote:Interesting, so after reading this thread I'm thinking of buying Reaktor over saving up for a hardware modular. So my question is, are there many filter types and envelope emulations of famous synths or do I have to make them on my own? I was looking into making wavetable and FM with various filters. I want to do stuff like moog filters with fm oscilators.
Reaktor 6 has blocks in it now and that works exactly like a hardware modular and you can even integrate your eurorack into it. There are some blocks that come with Reaktor when you buy it but you can also build your own. I'm sure within a few months there will be hundreds of them available

So another vote for Reaktor here

blnn
Gnasher

Post by blnn »

I like Omnisphere, Alchemy, and Reaktor... of course, also Massive and FM8, but I use all of them as "preset machines".

If I have to name some of my favourite softsynths that I really use like a synth, I would say:
Sylenth1
Zeta+
Diva
ImpOSCar
Prophet V2
and... recently I discovered the Roland Promars "plugout" (I'm really impressed with this!! )

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

blnn wrote:I like Omnisphere, Alchemy, and Reaktor... of course, also Massive and FM8, but I use all of them as "preset machines".
Can you give a bit more info on why you like Omnisphere ?
I know Planar has been looking for a while to hear more about Omnisphere from personal users !
I'm sure he would be very grateful !

FuturePerfect
Jan : )

Post by FuturePerfect »

I like omnisphere as well :D

blnn
Gnasher

Post by blnn »

Hades wrote:
blnn wrote:I like Omnisphere, Alchemy, and Reaktor... of course, also Massive and FM8, but I use all of them as "preset machines".
I know Planar has been looking for a while to hear more about Omnisphere from personal users !
The massive quality of the factory patches and all libraries? 8-) :lol:

Seriously, I think I never heard any better sounding synth (hardware or software), the richness of the harmonics in almost every sound is really awesome.
No matter if I want do pads, leads, metallic sounds... because always Omnisphere can provide one, but with a personal, distinctive quality sound.
Also is easy to tweak with interesting results.
But I really dont use it so much, because for techno (mainly what I do) I prefer others, more conventional, ...can be said.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

PixelKind wrote:
gedda wrote:Interesting, so after reading this thread I'm thinking of buying Reaktor over saving up for a hardware modular. So my question is, are there many filter types and envelope emulations of famous synths or do I have to make them on my own? I was looking into making wavetable and FM with various filters. I want to do stuff like moog filters with fm oscilators.
Reaktor 6 has blocks in it now and that works exactly like a hardware modular and you can even integrate your eurorack into it. There are some blocks that come with Reaktor when you buy it but you can also build your own. I'm sure within a few months there will be hundreds of them available

So another vote for Reaktor here
Yeah, this is pretty big news in Reaktor land. I've noticed they've even provided the Monark filters as blocks, which is probably great if you want something Moogish. There was a big thread on KVR with users trying to extract bits from Monark, so it must be good if you're into that kind of thing.
Hades wrote:
Quiet, you!

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

blnn wrote:
Hades wrote:
The massive quality of the factory patches and all libraries? 8-) :lol:

Seriously, I think I never heard any better sounding synth (hardware or software), the richness of the harmonics in almost every sound is really awesome.
No matter if I want do pads, leads, metallic sounds... because always Omnisphere can provide one, but with a personal, distinctive quality sound.
Also is easy to tweak with interesting results.
But I really dont use it so much, because for techno (mainly what I do) I prefer others, more conventional, ...can be said.
ow I've been saying I love Omnisphere here for years, but Planar doesn't like me doing that,
so I'm just having a little fun now. :lol:

To be honest, I'm even surprised to find other Omnisphere users here on subsekt.
I mean, you, FuturePerfect, and anoter guy (ThomasHD I think ?) all said you guys use Omnipshere in the last coupe of days.
Planar's gonna have a ball ! :mrgreen:

I totally agree with the sound quality being absolutely stunning.
I have quite a few of the synths they sampled here in my studio, and some of the sounds... if I do an A/B comparison, there's absolutey no way to tell which one is the original.
And it's dead easy to program sounds with it.
And for pads and textures there's absolutely nothing better.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

I'm gonna make a clone of Omnisphere and call it Queen Astrid. That'll make Hades as happy cunt.

Contention / 005

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Mattias wrote:I'm gonna make a clone of Omnisphere and call it Queen Astrid. That'll make Hades as happy cunt.
Queen Astrid ? :lol:

that was probably the only decent one we ever had in the Belgian monarchy.

My oldest learns about them in school now, and I already told her that if it were up to me I'd call Filip and Laurent just "dumby and fatty".
I tried explaining that it's very important that to become a king or queen, there's nothing special you have to do,
just be born from the right parents.
That is of course, if you don't marry a prince or pincess... :roll:

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Hades wrote:
Queen Astrid ? :lol:

that was probably the only decent one we ever had in the Belgian monarchy.
I agree. And where was she from.....?

Hehe, it's quite crazy for us over here when we're constantly fed with stories of how loved she was in Belgium.

Contention / 005

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

that still happens nowadays ?

what kind of magazines do you read Mattias ?
hmm ?

I tell you those gay leather mags are better for your mental (and physical !) health than the glossy royalty shit mags man !

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

btw : once, a few years ago, during an extremely boring nightshift, I looked up the family ties (and stories) of most members of the Western European royalty on wikipedia,
and I swear, you can trace all of them back to each other.
all of it, just inbred shit man.

explains a lot though...

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Haha it sure does.