Share your errors

General Chat // Music Discussion
Ploy
skaghead
Re: Share your errors

Post by Ploy »

One doesn't require the Internet to have a wank, and if you do then you might just have a problem.

Koichi
Wastedddd

Post by Koichi »

Producing in headphones.

I work early in morning or late at night on music. Can't fire up my monitors to decent volumes at those times in my un-soundproofed so lack of time time forces me into small windows of morning or evening producing - on headphones!

Whenever I can schedule proper studio time on rare weekends I find the errors in mixes I'm making. Usually correcting them from memory back in headphones.

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

Yes producing on headphones is never really good from my experience.
But if you have no other option and are aware of it then go, you can still try to fix it later on monitor as you said.

Another error i did was to install too many virtual synths and get lost in them (stuck at the surface instead of exploiting them)
I've learnt to only keep a few and work them instead more deeply which is far more interesting and gives better results.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Procrastination, lack of energy (or possibly laziness), getting stuck in a loop and not developing it out.
There's a routine to that side of building tracks that I need to get back into.
I also need to focus more on the details, getting in on my mixing and automation.

I work itb so maybe getting some controllers might help (but that could be me making excuses).

On a more personal side, I don't really like sharing stuff that I do (cos it's nothing special) but I think if I did, I would probably be more motivated to improve and develop.
It's just a hobby, a pasttime, an interest and something to do when I get some free time, so that sense of immediacy isn't there like with other more important stuff ..

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

surface wrote: On a more personal side, I don't really like sharing stuff that I do (cos it's nothing special) but I think if I did, I would probably be more motivated to improve and develop.
It's just a hobby, a pasttime, an interest and something to do when I get some free time, so that sense of immediacy isn't there like with other more important stuff ..

I didn't share my stuff too for a long time because i felt it wasn't good enough or interesting.
When i thought my music was decent enough (from technical and artistic points of views) i set up a bandcamp and released tracks for free.

I think it was a partial error at least because as you said it's motivating to have feedbacks from unknown guys from internet or by artists i like.
Or to see downloads and propagation of your work.

It was better to wait before releasing of course but i should have exposed my stuff earlier on forums to exchange with others, and get advices etc. like we can do here on Subsekt.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

I think it's the technical side I have doubts about. My stuff isn't consistent technically but that's because I don't get to work on it regularly enough.
I've shared stuff (not techno) before and got some friendly, encouraging and constructive criticism and that's a nice thing. It's a real motivator when people repeatedly show an interest because you know it's genuine (or assume it is...all anonymous) especially if they're making music that you enjoy and admire... ok, I forget my point haha!

I guess I just have to make time for making techno ..

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Specifically: forgetting to check my final mix in mono before release!!!

Generally: not making more of an effort and being more serious with my music in my 20's... wasted time.

Anyway without making mistakes we would't learn.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

terryfalafel wrote:Hmm, true but I think the general consensus is to get into the habit of finishing everything.

Nah some shits just not worth finishing, got hundred of tracks like that on my the hard drive/graveyard. The learn to finish tracks thing is mostly when your starting out, you need a bunch of finished tracks under your belt.

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Devant
fake

Post by Devant »

Spending too much time getting absolutely blind on the weekends when I could've been working on music or focusing on uni (just passed a year sober from alcohol 8-) )

Not practicing piano, trumpet and guitar enough when I was a kid and neglecting the theory, as well as letting the psycho of a music teacher I had in high school get to me so I didn't do senior music.

... getting a girlfriend :oops:

parents
Opposite

Post by parents »

First thing I do wrong is working on headphones....(no monitors at the moment). Then I focus too much on detail and loose the whole track or the other way too. Bad thing also is trying to make same tunes as the ones you like. I do it some times and it never gives a good result. It just takes me off my own thinking and perception of music.

Koichi
Wastedddd

Post by Koichi »

Devant wrote:
"No I can't take my headphones off... I'm just checking something... one second."

Devant
fake

Post by Devant »

Koichi wrote:
Devant wrote:
"No I can't take my headphones off... I'm just checking something... one second."
"Sorry honey looks like I'm gonna be at uni for a few extra hours tonight my mate needs a hand recording"

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

parents wrote:First thing I do wrong is working on headphones....(no monitors at the moment). Then I focus too much on detail and loose the whole track or the other way too..
Cool.

I think using headphones in that way is important. For me anyway., if I don't spend some time with them then I'll eventually totally hate how it sounds.

30 HP /70 speakers for me.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

my errors were probably spending far too much time doing something (music) that isnt really that important and not spending enough time with my wife and children haha
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

parents
Opposite

Post by parents »

ICN wrote:
parents wrote:First thing I do wrong is working on headphones....(no monitors at the moment). Then I focus too much on detail and loose the whole track or the other way too..
Cool.

I think using headphones in that way is important. For me anyway., if I don't spend some time with them then I'll eventually totally hate how it sounds.

30 HP /70 speakers for me.
I totally love how some things are when using headphones but when the track goes to regular speakers I hate it!! hahaha

simon_marklar
Pig

Post by simon_marklar »

my biggest error is not diving in, and not believing in myself.

i've sat here for the last 10+ years wondering which product(s) would be the best for me to use to make music and been paralyzed by it. There's always something better that I should be using.

When I do end up doing something I dismiss it as shit and delete it.
ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪ヾ(⌐■_■)ノ♪

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

simon_marklar wrote:my biggest error is not diving in, and not believing in myself.

i've sat here for the last 10+ years wondering which product(s) would be the best for me to use to make music and been paralyzed by it. There's always something better that I should be using.

When I do end up doing something I dismiss it as shit and delete it.
same here with believing in myself. thats my main thing, but its getting better now.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

gedda
Metric Martyr

Post by gedda »

My biggest error is using and buying too much crap. I just need a subtractive, fm, and wavetable synth for my needs and I'm good to go. Ableton's sampler and ITB effects are already good.

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

all of the above actually...

'I just need that piece of kit, and then you'll see me go' (just replied in another thread that I'm gonna get the Soundtoys bundle... :evil: )
I just need a few months, and the missus will fully understand why we need to convert the top floor, so I can have better bass. She's starting to understand standing waves and the relation bass/room size... that 'll set us back €10.000, but hey, then you'll see me go.

no perseverance/discipline/focus
no confidence (hence no sharing, hence no feedback, no progression)

internet... blessing and curse
tv... curse
weed... curse

neglecting the sampler as a creative tool

But what has been the most limiting factor over the years, is the fact that I somehow always wanted it to be stage ready. I never made the distinction between a studio track and a live set. I've always had a live situation in mind, which led to not a single finished song in many many years.
Another mistake: Too diverse! When you're not a pro or on the dole, and you're a working class hero, time is limited (even if you're a pro, I guess). If you then start dividing your music time into techno, IDM, ambient, jazz, mathrock and triphop, you'll never achieve anything.

So, half a year ago, I decided to concentrate only on techno, and after almost twenty years of making electronic music, 'really' started investigating the mechanics of techno (how I ended up being a novice cunt), rediscovered the sampler, semi finished a few tracks, got better.

but still too much 'I need to be able to do this live as well' in the back of my head, and too much reading/watching instead of doing.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Sandor
Unfriended

Post by Sandor »

I tend to learn from my errors so I try to make as many as I can. Trying to avoid them is pointless I think.