As stripped as I can get - Jordanneke

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
As stripped as I can get - Jordanneke

Post by jordanneke »

I've wanted to make a very minimal/ completely stripped back track as possible.

I realise that in order to get better, I need to master key elements, get them to sit right, eq'd and mixed, before I attempt complex things. Back to basics and all that shit. I hear more and more stuff on here that I simply can't do, so time go get back to key skills.

Sort of trying to get as few elements in as possible, without anything being superfluous, but trying to maintain interest with automation.

I'm not entirely sure about this track to be honest, but I think I'll throw it up here anyway. I'm totally aware it won't be everyone's cup of tea, it's not hard, dark, noisy or complex.

Do me a favour though, if you listen and don't like it, just say so, no need for any meaning comment

Alume
Confetti
Re: As stripped as I can get - Jordanneke

Post by Alume »

Hey man

Just a small technique I like to use. I listened to the whole thing and I really like it man. Though what would be nice to try is layer the synth(or any element to choice, not kick obviously).

What I mean by this is for example taking the dubbychord, dublicating it and pitch, tweak that fucker. With these kind of leads I usually duplicate and high-pas the sound then add some fx to taste, add a little modulation and let it sit on the orgional sound, your base.

This creates dynamic and makes the sound way fuller on its own. It will have more frequencies thus more body.

Especially with minimal tracks and techno in general layering is key(in my experience). Its so easy and give quick results, dont overthink it if it doesnt work delete it and move on.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

I liked it. Simple, but it works.

No technical comments, as I just woke up.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

ayusounds
fake

Post by ayusounds »

cool track, as Alume already said, if you give more "body" to the chords it will be great

mattie
refusenik

Post by mattie »

I like it,sits in between house and dub techno imho ,without dwelling in the boring end of either,nice.

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Simple and it delivers. Does what it's supposed to do.

The suggestions form Alume are pure gold for this type of approach to techno.

Next, take control of the volume of your stabs. When they're at their loudest they are too dominant. And as usual with your productions you need to either up your hi-hats or down your bass.

Finding a great balance between the crucial elements in this type of minimal production is extremely important obviously.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

soulstar606

Post by soulstar606 »

with those chords it sounds very housey more to the house side than techno. the hats are really far back int he mix, and need to come forward and sparkle...the kick drum could be lower pitched and also eqd better..the chords track needs alot of eq.....it sounds flat....also use more sidechaining to creat a more pumping feel

for the chords i wouldnt put more than one chord in there....more than one chord makes it too housey...one chord stab..at infrequent times.....instead of the whole way through]]i like the chords though....sounds musically good and lively

rktic
Utter Cunt

Post by rktic »

I dig it a lot!

The chord could be a bit more balanced indeed throughout the track. But otherwise it's a keeper!

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt

Post by jordanneke »

Man, thanks for all the feedback. This shit is invaluable!

The issues with the mix are probably due to the fact that I have to mix over my headphones. I'll remember in future to lower the bass and raise the hats.

I'll probably add a compressor to tame any peaks with the chords.

Liking the idea about the chord. Will do that, Cheers. I tend to use Aalto for the chords, but they always end up sounding a little 'thin'. Alto will only accept 4 voices and I tend not to sample. Therefore this doubling will give me some real options to add more body.

Thanks all.

You lot are alright (for a bunch of cunts)

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Nice man, I think the flaws has already been covered but I like how genuine your dub in the techno sounds. I hear so much stuff that people like to call dub techno which doesn't even come close to it. I probably said it before but it's not my cup of tea usually, but you execute it so well I can't keep my head from nodding to your music. That Lepcis track I just heard as well, that's more my thing. Proper stuff!