I Dream Of Wires / IDOW _ Modular Synth Documentary

General Chat // Music Discussion
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
I Dream Of Wires / IDOW _ Modular Synth Documentary

Post by Críoch »

I can't remember if there's a topic already about this.. Anyone see it yet?

IDOW comes in a few different flavours.. A 2hr & a 4hr 'Hardcore' version, with extra footage. Bought the 4hr to see what it was all like otherwise I'd have gone mad not knowing. It's a good watch.

The style of narration & how the subject is presented is like a cross between 'how it's made' & a schools programme or BBC documentary. . Which I found unintentionally amusing at times, haha - But, its well done & they have good people in it..

It's interesting listening to the east coast / west coast development or approach towards modular synthesis - Moog vs. Buchla. Didn't understand the differences before or even that there were differences! I reckon Steve Voidloss would be a Buchla man now :) - Buchla seems insane! Crazy sounds.

Always lovely to watch something like this. It's not just the musicians that feature, but also the developers / manufacturers of the systems & modules. I think James Mslwte would be a Metasonix guy with all it's dirty filthy valves.

I think the film captures the anorak aspect of music production / gearlust perfectly. I watched it all in one go last night. My wife asked if it was good but did not look at the TV once, instead preferring to do other stuff lol. I think this subject is like kryptonite to those who aren't interested.

The kids liked it though 8-)

Ok, it's obviously about modular synthesis.. But there is something in the film for anyone who is into the history of electronic music. It's quite inspirational actually. I did not know who 1/2 the people were, genuinely.. But I got the message loud & clear. I admire the way that those who are passionate about this music want to create something new & abstract, viewing modular synthesis as a way of escaping the familiar & predictable. A great attitude to have.

An ideal that everyone should probably aspire towards.

youtu.be/GCyiDaM3boc
About
Exploring the history, demise and resurgence of the ultimate electronic music machine, the modular synthesizer.

http://idreamofwires.org/
Description
I Dream Of Wires is an independent documentary about the history, demise and resurgence of the modular synthesizer, featuring interviews with over 100 modular musicians, inventors and enthusiasts, including Trent Reznor (Nine Inch Nails), Gary Numan, Vince Clarke (Erasure), Morton Subotnick, Chris Carter (Throbbing Gristle), Daniel Miller, Carl Craig, Flood, Cevin Key (Skinny Puppy), James Holden, Factory Floor, Legowelt, Clark, John Foxx and Bernie Krause, as well as manufacturers and modular industry leaders Doepfer, Modcan, and Make Noise.

Although April 26 will be the world premiere of I Dream Of Wires' 90 minute theatrical cut (at Moogfest), a 4-hour Special Edition cut of the film, I Dream Of Wires: Hardcore Edition, was released on DVD and BluRay in late-2013, and has already become an underground, grassroots sensation amongst electronic musicians and fans, with high profile reviews and coverage from the likes of NPR, Arte/Tracks, Pitchfork, The Wire, and FACTmag. Despite it's imposing 4-hour length and ultra-niche target market, the Hardcore Edition ("for the hardcore modular synth and electronic music fanatics") has proven an independent hit. Now, stripped of the Hardcore Edition's techy excesses, I Dream Of Wires' theatrical cut is set to bring the fascinating story of the modular synthesizer, a story driven by passionate and innovative people, to the masses. Additional screenings are confirmed in Sweden, Slovakia, Poland, Australia and the UK, plus festival bookings including Chicago's CIMMfest, Boston’s Together Festival, Washington's Forward Festival, Calgary's Sled Island, and Montreal's MUTEK.

I Dream of Wires begins with an historical primer, exploring the early development of modular synthesizers from pioneering companies Moog Music Inc. and Buchla and Associates, right through to the near-extinction of these instruments, brought on by the introduction of portable, digital synthesizers in the ’80s. From there, the rebirth of the modular synthesizer is retraced, leading into the phenomenal resurgence of the modular synthesizer. Along the way is some in-depth exploration of the passions, obsessions and dreams of people who have dedicated part of their lives to this esoteric electronic music machine. What started out as a “vintage-revival scene” in the ’90s has grown into an underground phenomena with a growing market of modular obsessives craving ever more wild and innovative sounds and interfaces. Today, the modular synthesizer is no longer an esoteric curiosity or even a mere music instrument — it is an essential tool for radical new sounds and a bona fide subculture.

I Dream Of Wires
http://idreamofwires.org/
http://vimeo.com/idreamofwires
http://twitter.com/IDOWdocumentary
Plot outline
"I Dream Of Wires shows how, in the same way that the instruments themselves are rewiring both performers' and listeners' expectations about electronic music, the community that has evolved around modular synths is changing the relationships between users, sellers, and makers…"
- The Wire magazine (UK)

"As far as documentaries go, this is a slick, polished production. The film looks great, and as one would hope and suspect, the audio is wonderful, with the score by Solvent setting the perfect mood throughout...."
- Film Threat (USA)

"I would highly recommend Robert Fantinatto's documentary film not only to anyone interested in modular analog synthesizers, but to anybody interested in sound and the electronic reproduction of audio in general. This film is so well made it should appeal to anyone curious about people who are obsessed with minutiae, weird sounds, and music that 97 percent of the planet would find annoying."
- Tape Op magazine (USA)

"With its excellent narration and top-notch interviews with pioneers and popularizers like Morton Subotnick, Gary Numan, and Trent Reznor, I Dream of Wires gives us a glimpse into the mind of electronically-minded musicians and their often revolutionary perspectives on music, technology, and human ingenuity.... If you’re curious about the wide world of synths but intimidated by the steep learning curve, check out this movie...."
- DigBoston weekly (USA)

"A recommended watch for those with any degree of interest in synths and synth music. 10/10 Excellence"
- Music Tech magazine (UK)

"…if synthesizers are your thing this documentary provides a huge amount of insight and should appeal in particular to musicians or engineers."
- HMV (UK)

"…this is as thorough a study of the unique appeal of modular synths as you’ll find."
- Attack Magazine (UK)

"…lingering close-up shots of analog synths aside (and there are a lot of these), perhaps what's most joyous about I Dream of Wires is that it profiles a subculture that has almost nothing to do with the music industry."
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

PixelKind
who is it?
Re: I Dream Of Wires / IDOW _ Modular Synth Documentary

Post by PixelKind »

Planning to watch it this weekend. Already looking forward to it.

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

Yeah I saw it when it popped up on Netflix. The short version is definitely worth a watch.
Not a lot of new information, but great to see the engineers and artists talk about their passion.
Which is generally what I like to see in documentaries.. other people's worlds, their perceptions
and opinions etc..

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yeah.. That was a criticism that I forgot to include actually. Would have liked a mod synth 101 kinda - vid. Guess that could be another 4hrs & then some..
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

yeah i watched it on netflix

probably a bad idea - because i went from *wanting* a modular to *REALLY REAALLLY WANTING* a modular.

very interesting doco. i didn't know a lot of the history.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Haha.. It should come with a health warning :)

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Nerds........

I dream of flying face first in to a swimming pool filled with naked nubile vixens covered in baby oil.

Which would also be a far more interesting program.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

I Dream Of Flying Face First In To A Swimming Pool Filled With Naked Nubile Vixens Covered In Baby Oil _ 13hr Snuff Version

Starring Steve V. as Himself.

:)

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Lost to the Void wrote:Nerds........

I dream of flying face first in to a swimming pool filled with naked nubile vixens covered in baby oil.

Which would also be a far more interesting program.
I'd buy the 8 hour version of that!

But then after a while everyone would be into it, and then people would call me a nubile vixen nerd and I'd have to find something else to be in to?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Could do a 'soiled vixen' follow-up. Dark web edition.