Sherman Filterbank / Techno / Sound Design Thread

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Sherman Filterbank / Techno / Sound Design Thread

Post by Críoch »

What did you have running throughout James? Was it the exact same sound source from the start or did you add different stuff in? Thought I heard some sequenced ms20 stuff, possibly just cos I know you have a sq1.. But thought I heard drums towards the end.

The FB is cool though the way it can make a drumloop or whatever into a 303 type sound.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Barskiniov
skaghead

Post by Barskiniov »

Thanks for the info ICN. I heard it's possible to mod the FB in a way that it works also as a "normal" filter and that you have to adjust the frequency inside this thing to not get your speakers flying across the room:) I saw the 1 a few days ago for 350 Euro and I think with a bit of patience you can have the 2 for 450. I am going to get one this year but first of all I have to buy the jrf contact mics:) I think it might be fun to trigger the fb with different sources...somebody got experience with that? And while talking about distortion, had anyone a metal muff behind his drum machine?

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Barskiniov wrote:had anyone a metal muff behind his drum machine?
Not particularly the metal muff, but plenty of fuzz pedals after my drum machines, loads of fun results.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

willemb wrote:
Not particularly the metal muff, but plenty of fuzz pedals after my drum machines, loads of fun results.
I've got a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff. The thing is fucking savage, maybe too much so for some things. If that's what you're after though, go for it! I'd defo suggest getting a noise gate too though, which I've been meaning to do since I got the thing.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Barskiniov wrote:Thanks for the info ICN. I heard it's possible to mod the FB in a way that it works also as a "normal" filter and that you have to adjust the frequency inside this thing to not get your speakers flying across the room:) I saw the 1 a few days ago for 350 Euro and I think with a bit of patience you can have the 2 for 450. I am going to get one this year but first of all I have to buy the jrf contact mics:) I think it might be fun to trigger the fb with different sources...somebody got experience with that? And while talking about distortion, had anyone a metal muff behind his drum machine?
Cool man!

More distortion? More distortion!??!! Lol
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Wiu wrote:
willemb wrote:
I've got a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff. The thing is fucking savage, maybe too much so for some things. If that's what you're after though, go for it! I'd defo suggest getting a noise gate too though, which I've been meaning to do since I got the thing.
I've probably said it before but I've liked putting a gate after distortion cos it tightens it up.. Almost like killing the sustain. Not sure if you are talking about using a gate to reduce the noisefloor buzz between hits / gaps.. But in a DAW, I like using them like an envelope.

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

Fuck noise gates! Real men use noise loudeners.

Kinda like Slegde Hammer, who used a noise loudener instead of a suppressor on his gun.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Trust me.. I know what I'm doing :mrgreen:

Barskiniov
skaghead

Post by Barskiniov »

ok cool, i am going to buy a metal muff and put this in front of a hell gate. Which fuzz you can recommend Willemb? Heard the fuzz factory is nice, but it´s expensive...

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

ICN wrote:What did you have running throughout James? Was it the exact same sound source from the start or did you add different stuff in? Thought I heard some sequenced ms20 stuff, possibly just cos I know you have a sq1.. But thought I heard drums towards the end.

The FB is cool though the way it can make a drumloop or whatever into a 303 type sound.
Yeah that's right, I used the sq1 and ms20 and created a kind of feedback loop from the 2nd out of the FB into the signal In on the ms. On the FB, I connected trigger out to ADSR and lfo out to fm in and just fucked shit up from there really.

I just grabbed a drumloop and ran it through the fb at the end.
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Great! Still haven't tried any of that. So much sport to be had. You got lots of different tones from it James. Bass stuff, atmos etc.. Cool aul' box.

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

Barskiniov wrote:ok cool, i am going to buy a metal muff and put this in front of a hell gate. Which fuzz you can recommend Willemb? Heard the fuzz factory is nice, but it´s expensive...
If you don’t mind a little bit of soldering: There are lots of Fuzz Factory clone kits around, that can be found for little money. I’ve build one myself. It’s cool for FSU stuff… not very subtle, though. Also check out your local thrift store for 70’s/80’s 3 head tape decks. There are dirt cheap and work amazingly as distortion/saturation units.

Barskiniov
skaghead

Post by Barskiniov »

Ah ok thx for the tips! I want to learn about diy stuff and soldering on the long run...can you recommend a book and or websites with tips? With tapedecks you mean the saturation with an empty tape with a adaptor on it?

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

Sorry I don’t have any recommendations for books or anything. But I think you don’t need them. Just get a complete kit (sourcing parts can be really confusing and can take forever) and learn things on the fly. Pedalparts in the UK and Musikding in Germany offer a great range of kits with decent instructions. You might wanna practise on a prototyping PCB with a few resistors first, though.

With a three head tape machine you can monitor the saturated output directly, so theres no need for any extras (unlike with a two head machine).

And to get back to on topic: I love the Sherman! I’ve been lusting for one for many years now, but I’ve never pulled the trigger (even though there are fairly cheap now… 450€-480€ seems to be usual price for the mkII currently). I made a few samples with a Jomox xBase 09 and the Sherman, once. Truly fucked up but still clean somehow, which basically sums up my experience with this little beast. If anyone is interested, I could see if I can find them on my old hd.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

something ive never tried is using midi on the FB, has anyone here used it and does it sync modulations in any way?
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

ICN wrote:
Wiu wrote:I've got a Electro Harmonix Metal Muff. The thing is fucking savage, maybe too much so for some things. If that's what you're after though, go for it! I'd defo suggest getting a noise gate too though, which I've been meaning to do since I got the thing.
I've probably said it before but I've liked putting a gate after distortion cos it tightens it up.. Almost like killing the sustain. Not sure if you are talking about using a gate to reduce the noisefloor buzz between hits / gaps.. But in a DAW, I like using them like an envelope.
Both really. Sometimes the fuzz noise between hits can work, other times it just sounds shit. A gate can sound great on drums too like you say as it acts as an envelope to really tighten up the timing and make some room. I do that quite often ITB using Ableton's gate. Like a say though, I'd like a hardware gate (Ideally the Drawmer DS201 jack version) or a pedal is needed to tame the Metal Muff a little and the gates other uses will be a bonus.

Not that it's anywhere near the same league as the Filterbank, I've wanted a Waldorf 2-Pole filter since it came out. That seemed to do a cool job on drum loops and had quite a nice drive to it in the demos I watched at the time. A Filterbank is on my wishlist but not priority right now. Great to hear there's a lot of fun to be had with it though as hopefully one day I'll grab one!
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Gates are certainly cool. Just have to remember to use them! I go through phases of remembering, forgetting & rediscovering :)

Must look at that filter . Know of it alright.. But no details. When I was seriously considering the FB a long time back.. I was thinking about just getting something with a filter that I could patch stuff through. The more I thought of it, I considered getting a small 2nd hand mono synth with an audio in & get the added bonus of a synth. After thinking about it a little more I thought the MS20mini would be all that and possibly some extra.

Ain't put one thing through its filters since I got it. Too much fun as is :)

decair
broke

Post by decair »

Not, much as an effects unit other than a filter, as it was designed to be a distortion beast. I route mine as aux through Ableton and set limit/compressor to mimic the iotine core...best filter i have in my setup is the moog minitaur...bass and filter on the in...
There's your damn avatar!

Barskiniov
skaghead

Post by Barskiniov »

You guys think it's possible to fix a loose sitting tracking switch on your own without the risk of damaging the fb even more?

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Contact Yerman Herman..

He's quick on the emails back. I'm sure he'll keep you on the straight.