How to have this kind of bass

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Re: How to have this kind of bass

Post by Planar »

This type of bass is 90% technique and 10% sound source and you sound like you're going down that path where you think you need to buy some new shit to make it. This sound is so simple that you'll feel a bit silly once you crack it.

Take a step back and try some other types of bass techniques. Your tracks will be more unique and you'll come back to it again later on and maybe realise you weren't seeing the wood for the trees.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Tony wrote:
Are the "very very low" very important ?

From what I 've read here should be cut frequencies below 40 Hz on Kick & Bass. .
First question

Anything below 60 is low. In a thread about sub bass yes, low is important.
You don't want a vst that starts aliasing at 60hz, it will sound shit.

Low frequencies should be cut where they should be cut in context with the curve of the sound.
A cut from 40 could be steep or shallow.

You could also cut from 20

Or 60

It's all about context, no standards.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Tony
beast

Post by Tony »

Ok thank you :)

And what about the "Bass Selection". Is it true that we can't have the kick and the bass at the same low frequencies ?

Or sidechain do the job as well ?
English is not my first language. So, sorry if i don't speak perfectly.
Thanks Subsekt for existing !

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

You can have kick and bass at the same frequencies, again it all depends on the sounds, how they interact and how the rest of this mix sits.

Sidechaining can be a solution but it is not the only solution. Sidechaining can be subtle, or over the top which leads to Oompah oompah hard house style low end.

Generally to make life easier it is best to have some separation between the kick and the bass.

Sometimes it might be as simple as finding the fundamental frequency of the kick drum, and then cutting out some of the sound at this frequency from the bass.
Other times you just balance, high kick with low bass, low kick with high bass.

Or sidechain, or a combination of all or some of the above. Always it is about the context and the individual sounds.

I believe all of this has been covered with images to go along with the lessons, on this very forum..
New Shit

soulstar606

Post by soulstar606 »

the first example track in the op is not tthe reverb kick...it's a just a kick with a long release

its important to be able to pick up th edifference between those two....you have to train you ear to decipher the low end of techno...and all music that is bass heavy...

for the reverb kick....you need to really work hard at it to lrearn how to do it right with a good effect.........its not so much about the technique itsel;f////its more about knowing all the underlying techniques and mastering your effects like reverb, kick synthesis and eq and compressions

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

soulstar606 wrote:
its important to be able to pick up th edifference between those two....you have to train you ear to decipher the low end of techno...and all music that is bass heavy...
Aye. And it is actually a reverb on the kick in the first track (The Welderz one)
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Tony
beast

Post by Tony »

How this bass sounds to you ?

https://soundcloud.com/tony-foks/yep/s-Jt06U

This one is not from me, but, do you think that is also a bass from reverb-kick ?

I really can't have this result, even with lot of work.

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

Yes, it is a reverb kick, with lot of sidechain and short release

Tony
beast

Post by Tony »

Thanks for you answer :)

Short release on sidechain you mean ?

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

Planar wrote:
I can't wait for the rumble-bass to go out of fashion.
what is a rumble-bass? i have not heard of this before, can you post a example of one and maybe a guide of how to make a rumble-bass in Massive?

thank you

TomasHD
slipper

Post by TomasHD »

Tony wrote:Thanks for you answer :)

Short release on sidechain you mean ?
Try different kicks and send the reverb to a bus, put some sidechain compression and start playing with the ratio and the release and it will get you there.

the bass reverb sound is all about the kick sound, So grab some hammering kicks or hard kicks as the one in the sample.

The arts acoustic reverb is really good for this kind of sounds.

An other technique I ve used (but i still prefer the reverb send effect), and it could give you similar results, is to have tow kicks, one to be the main kick of track and the other is low passed and without attack and put reverb to it

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

winston wrote:
Planar wrote:
what is a rumble-bass? i have not heard of this before, can you post a example of one and maybe a guide of how to make a rumble-bass in Massive?

thank you
Massive won't do it, mate. Rumble bass is a bit of a secret techno trick all the pro's don't want you to know how to do. Yeah, sure, they'll say just to add reverb to a kick and filter it a bit. You know, something a 5 year old can do with a bit of practice. But really they all do it differently using this one hidden technique. It's knowledge only the inner circle of the techno illuminati know how to do. To be honest, its a bit of a Subsekt joke. None of us know how to create a rumble bass, we all just pretend to fuck with new members.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I have been initiated in to the circle.
Until you have your dark mark placed permanently on your skin you cannot have the secret revealed to you.
You have to prove your commitment.
New Shit

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Planar wrote:
winston wrote:
Planar wrote:

thank you
Massive won't do it, mate. Rumble bass is a bit of a secret techno trick all the pro's don't want you to know how to do. Yeah, sure, they'll say just to add reverb to a kick and filter it a bit. You know, something a 5 year old can do with a bit of practice. But really they all do it differently using this one hidden technique. It's knowledge only the inner circle of the techno illuminati know how to do. To be honest, its a bit of a Subsekt joke. None of us know how to create a rumble bass, we all just pretend to fuck with new members.

I got close by blind folding myself, putting a plastic bag over my head, spinning around for a minute, walking in to a door frame, and then puking in the bag.

Play your track then feel the rumble. It's like ghost bass.

Koichi
Wastedddd

Post by Koichi »

Here is the key to rumble bass. You'll have to decipher the EQ8 settings from this image:

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

ashley BORG wrote: I got close by blind folding myself, putting a plastic bag over my head, spinning around for a minute, walking in to a door frame, and then puking in the bag.

Play your track then feel the rumble. It's like ghost bass.
Easy there, Ash. Chokey wanks rarely end well...

arkos

Post by arkos »

Planar wrote:
Easy there, Ash. Chokey wanks rarely end well...

LOL! :lol:

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

It's all about having the right hook...
Boom boom! ..

Tony
beast

Post by Tony »

Thanks everyone for your answer.

Now, i've a question more. About EQ between the kick and the bass. How do you make it ? What do you suggest ?

arkos

Post by arkos »

Tony wrote:Thanks everyone for your answer.

Now, i've a question more. About EQ between the kick and the bass. How do you make it ? What do you suggest ?
Scroll up and read one of Lost to the void post's, seems he has predicted the future and has already answered that question.