the film topic

General Chat // Music Discussion
Hades
Shit Eater
Re: the film topic

Post by Hades »

PixelKind wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:Not a film per se, but a television series based on films. The trailer looks very promising to me, a good mixture of splatter and comedy, just like in the films.

youtu.be/unnLg1TPCYM
Trailer looks great! I'm really looking forward to this one!
well, good for laughs, that's for sure
but that whole horror thing...
I don't know, apart from a few classics which I felt I had to see some day (for example "the exorcist" which I only watched for the 1st time couple of weeks ago),
I can't be interested to watch horror films/series...
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

The original Evil Dead movies are effin' brilliant if you ask me, particularly the first 2 in the series. They somehow manage to be both funny and scary at the same time.

I'm not usually a fan of horror movies either.
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote:The original Evil Dead movies are effin' brilliant if you ask me, particularly the first 2 in the series. They somehow manage to be both funny and scary at the same time.

I'm not usually a fan of horror movies either.
well if you're not a horror fan either, you can always propose me a few horror films you think everyone should have seen.

only small problem will be watching it in some way my kids don't get to see any of it,
you can't imagine how much of a problem that has become lately.
I mean, I'm just watching the most average drama film, just about 20 minutes before they go to bed,
and I gotta pause it every time my kids walk into or even by the room.
Then they ask "daddy, is this a film with bad guys ?"
"yes honey, this film has some bad guys"

really, they can see something scary so fast and then get bad dreams....
maybe it's just cause they don't get to watch tv unless they're at the grand parents ?
maybe that made them over-sensitive to random cruel violence ?
Wasn't there once some study that said that the average 6 year old kid in the US has seen approx 3000+ murders on tv ?
Or something like that...

Barfunkel
Smalahove

Post by Barfunkel »

I highly doubt movies, tv or games are harmful to people's psyches. If a person is a psychopath to begin with, he (or she) might copy a certain method from the media, but normal people don't turn into psychopaths just by watching the telly.

I've watched Evil Dead and the likes of it since I were 10, and I'm an extremely peaceful person, I hate all kinds of real life violence.

The only problem with television is that in most cases it's not very useful, it doesn't improve the quality of your life, compared to some other things a person can do. Sports are useful, music and other arts can be useful, practicing something is useful. Unless you plan on working in television, the hours spent on watching it are pretty much wasted.

I personally watch like 10-20 hours of telly or movies a year. I'm too old to do that anymore, there's not enough years left to waste!
"I don't shower every day, but when I do, I do it after listening to some Barfunkel" - Anonymous

http://soundcloud.com/user4904810
http://www.mixcloud.com/Barfunkel/

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Barfunkel wrote:I highly doubt movies, tv or games are harmful to people's psyches. If a person is a psychopath to begin with, he (or she) might copy a certain method from the media, but normal people don't turn into psychopaths just by watching the telly.

I've watched Evil Dead and the likes of it since I were 10, and I'm an extremely peaceful person, I hate all kinds of real life violence.

The only problem with television is that in most cases it's not very useful, it doesn't improve the quality of your life, compared to some other things a person can do. Sports are useful, music and other arts can be useful, practicing something is useful. Unless you plan on working in television, the hours spent on watching it are pretty much wasted.

I personally watch like 10-20 hours of telly or movies a year. I'm too old to do that anymore, there's not enough years left to waste!

urmm, ok,
but I never suggested that I thought tv or films or whatever would harm a persons psyche.
like you, I don't agree with those theories at all. :)
I merely asked for suggestions on horror films and mentioned the fact that my 2 girls are easily affected by violent video material causing them to have bad dreams at night,
which makes it more difficult for me to watch any kinds of stuff with random violence purely practically speaking...

so... any suggestions ???

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

all I tried to suggest by mentioning that study is that if they would be used to watching tv, they might be less vulnerable (and far more accustomed) to any violent footage by now
that's all, I presume no psyche-related consequences at all from that.

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

The Evil Dead trilogy is a classic. Great movies! Then Romeros zombie movies: Night of the living dead, dawn of the dead, day of the dead, land of the dead.

I'll think of some more. Not much into horror movies anymore as well

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

yeah, the Romero's were still on my list.

"what's that honey ?? no no no ! no real bad guys in this one, just zombies, they don't really mean any harm, they just can't help themselves, it's all good !" :lol:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Just got the Band Of Brothers box set for 10E - Can finally watch all the episodes 14 years later :D
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Udy
brown envelope

Post by Udy »

Perfect Blue is a pretty weird anime from the guy that made Paprika. Plenty of trying to work out what is real and what is a dream yadda yadda.

Not really one for too many films, more video games and maybe a TV series. Been catching up with the world and watching Unbreakable Kimmy Schmidt and Orange Is The New Black. Both recommended.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ICN wrote:Just got the Band Of Brothers box set for 10E - Can finally watch all the episodes 14 years later :D
Is Band Of Brothers already that old ?
I've never seen any of the series, is it really worth it ?
I've read good things about it.

I bought the Deadwood box a few months back, I saw the first 2 seasons years ago (oh the Shakesperian language !!), but never saw the 3rd season,
but I still gotta start watching it...

something like a totally new (as in : never seen it before) but good quality series might be perfect to indulge in for me right now...
a few days of good old binge couch potato-style tv watching...
pretty shit to do when the kids are at home though.
I mean, how many films (or series) can you really watch that are ok for your kids to watch as well ?

definitely not Band Of Brothers :D

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yeah man.. I think its worth watching. Looks class.. decent performances.. & good storytelling told from different POV's and in different formats in different episodes. Theres one episode that develops as Lt. Winters types up his battle report in almost complete silence which was a cool gear change. Some of the CGI / after effects look obvious but I think they never blend in properly anyway.

All 'true' as well - As true as can be anyway. Can't be beaten for 10 euros. Lots of tension.

Probably not the best for kids. Some grizzly scenes in it.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Hades wrote:
PixelKind wrote:
Barfunkel wrote:Not a film per se, but a television series based on films. The trailer looks very promising to me, a good mixture of splatter and comedy, just like in the films.

youtu.be/unnLg1TPCYM
Trailer looks great! I'm really looking forward to this one!
I don't know, apart from a few classics which I felt I had to see some day (for example "the exorcist" which I only watched for the 1st time couple of weeks ago),
You're missing out.
There are some truly wonderful, beautiful and profound horror films out there if you avoid Hollywood bullshit.

Calvaire, uniquely and genuinely disturbing and compelling to watch.
Martyrs, stunning
Alien, what needs to be said?
Exorcist
Romero trilogy
30 days of night, really quite beautiful and also wonderful take on vampires,mercy stsrk and austere.
The Thing, just the most claustrophobic paranoid film ever. Kurt Russel is godlike.
REC, genuinely terrifying.
Demon Seed - classic computer horror
The addiction, utterly wonderful philosophical masterpiece. Amazing cameo from Mr walken.
The prophecy, wonderful take on the whole idea of angels. Fantastic cameo from Vigo mortenson as lucifer.
Any early cronenberg, genius
Hellraiser, classic take on the pleasure pain principle.
Sheitan, horror with French redneck madness, Vincent Cassel is wonderful.
Irreversible, horrific, beautiful, unforgettable.

I could go on for ages actually.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Go on for ages?

OH NO YOU COULDNT! :mrgreen: :)

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

Cool topic, any recommendation about sad films? Thanks.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:
Hades wrote:
You're missing out.
There are some truly wonderful, beautiful and profound horror films out there if you avoid Hollywood bullshit.

Calvaire, uniquely and genuinely disturbing and compelling to watch.
Martyrs, stunning
Alien, what needs to be said?
Exorcist
Romero trilogy
30 days of night, really quite beautiful and also wonderful take on vampires,mercy stsrk and austere.
The Thing, just the most claustrophobic paranoid film ever. Kurt Russel is godlike.
REC, genuinely terrifying.
Demon Seed - classic computer horror
The addiction, utterly wonderful philosophical masterpiece. Amazing cameo from Mr walken.
The prophecy, wonderful take on the whole idea of angels. Fantastic cameo from Vigo mortenson as lucifer.
Any early cronenberg, genius
Hellraiser, classic take on the pleasure pain principle.
Sheitan, horror with French redneck madness, Vincent Cassel is wonderful.
Irreversible, horrific, beautiful, unforgettable.

I could go on for ages actually.
hmm, I guess I should have been more precise and said I'm not into the typical bloody horror genre. :)

Of course I've seen almost any Cronenberg film,
I LOVED Calvaire (got it on DVD to hand out to friends, and every time we end up in the region where it was filmed, we say "the Ardennes are not what they seem" as a reference to the Twin Peaks quote)
but to me Calvaire is not horror. And I'm pretty sure I mentioned Calvaire earlier on in this topic !
I loved his 2nd film as well, "Vinyan". Though Calvaire was no doubt better...

I've seen the Hellraiser films when I was a teenager, but that was ages ago...
I saw The Thing when I was young.
I've seen The Addiction by Ferrara, also ages ago tough.

"Irréversible" is another one of those films I hand out to friends all the time. Definitely not horror to me. Just a lot of violence.
I consider the "Aliens" series pretty much the only series where the sequels (of course not all, but most) are almost just as good as the original.
Fucking loved the moment in "Aliens" where they are completely "safe" in the lab, with all the doors barricaded, and they appear to be coming yet closer and closer on their radar, untill they finally realizet they forgot the ceiling and they all start to drop from the ceiling...

I saw "the Exorcist" just a few months ago for the first time in my life, I actually mentioned that in my reply above (gotta read my words a little bit Steve ;) )
I also saw the Omen films in my youth and liked most of them.

I've just added Rec on my list.
Martyrs sounds like a mixed version of Irréversible and Funny Games but with more bloody elements, I'll definitely watch it !
Sheitan doesn't interest me that much if I read about it, but if it has Vincent Cassel in a superb role, then I'll watch it for sure. I love Cassel.

btw : seen "les revenants" ? Not really horror, but such a beautiful series, you should really watch it !

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Dust Layer wrote:Cool topic, any recommendation about sad films? Thanks.
give an example of films you liked and I'll give you some flims to watch.
"sad films" is too vague of a description. ;)

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Watership down is a sad film. The black rabbit at the end. Sob city.

borg
Lifer

Post by borg »

"sad films"?

Leviathan (Zvyagintsev) was great. the opening scene with the P. Glass music, simply stunning...

You can counter the sadness with some Big Lebowski afterwards. Strange how that movie doesn't grow old on me after so many viewings.
Andy
the lunatics are in the hall...

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Watching an old film atm.. Taped a good while back on film 4 - The Great Race.

1965 - The most expensive comedy ever made at the time. Huge scenes / set pieces.. Can see why budget was big. I'm a fan of Tony Curtis anyway.. But Jack Lemmon steals the movie away with Peter (Colombo) Falk as the bad guys who want to defeat TC & will go to any length to do so.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Great_Race

Very enjoyable film. Silly stuff but highly recommended.