Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater
Re: How to get that techno sound?

Post by Hades »

yeah, but why ?
did they get threatened by didjie haircuts or something ?
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

kertikristof
Wastedddd

Post by kertikristof »

I just took a big breath after all 44 or so pages.. Thank you subsekt, Lost and Mattias and everyone commenting, great journey and gave me the inspiration to write some weird so called techno in 9/8 bars instead of 4/4 :D
https://intech.studio <- Modular MIDI controllers, MaxForLive devices, DIY Eurorack panels and intech life.
@ https://www.instagram.com/intechstudio/

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

This is the thread that just keeps on giving.

Did I seriously read about the future of Techno being to look inwards to my City? So I could write some South East Coast Techno, inspired by my view of the Thames, Chav neighbours and Supped up hatchbacks.

Sounds like the makings of a revolution. I can finally realise my ambitions of becoming a new age pioneer. Beatport 100 here I come! Booooooom!

youtu.be/WfqIO1_ffvk

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

0xa wrote:I just took a big breath after all 44 or so pages.. Thank you subsekt, Lost and Mattias and everyone commenting, great journey and gave me the inspiration to write some weird so called techno in 9/8 bars instead of 4/4 :D
This is how it should be, good sir!
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

0xa wrote:I just took a big breath after all 44 or so pages.. Thank you subsekt, Lost and Mattias and everyone commenting, great journey and gave me the inspiration to write some weird so called techno in 9/8 bars instead of 4/4 :D

bars are for squares man, just like, total freeform it dude, hit record, run around the studio and just wack your dick on keys and buttons, then take that recording and transfer it to tape and then like, throw it in the washing machine with some magnets and some of that dry white dogshit you used to find back in the 80`s, put it on spin for a minute or two, then re-record from the tape.
Then you can release it on Blackest Ever Black and FACT magazine will absolutely shit themselves over it, and instead of writing an article about it, they will spunk all over their own bellies and take a picture of it and then post that as an article.

Then all the other little doggies will spunk over their bellies and post pictures of it, and then we will finally be done with this sleepytime droning berghein techno sound, and instead everyone will be making spunky belly techno, but not because of FACT magazine, no no, they will have been already making it, and it`s just a coincidence.

Spunky belly techno for the win.
New Shit

kertikristof
Wastedddd

Post by kertikristof »

Lost to the Void wrote:

bars are for squares man, just like, total freeform it dude, hit record, run around the studio and just wack your dick on keys and buttons, then take that recording and transfer it to tape and then like, throw it in the washing machine with some magnets and some of that dry white dogshit you used to find back in the 80`s, put it on spin for a minute or two, then re-record from the tape.
Then you can release it on Blackest Ever Black and FACT magazine will absolutely shit themselves over it, and instead of writing an article about it, they will spunk all over their own bellies and take a picture of it and then post that as an article.

Then all the other little doggies will spunk over their bellies and post pictures of it, and then we will finally be done with this sleepytime droning berghein techno sound, and instead everyone will be making spunky belly techno, but not because of FACT magazine, no no, they will have been already making it, and it`s just a coincidence.

I'm literally dying :D

But this is what I'm going to do. Feel no shame. Defy pain. Win. (and after the success, I start a label called bumcode.)
https://intech.studio <- Modular MIDI controllers, MaxForLive devices, DIY Eurorack panels and intech life.
@ https://www.instagram.com/intechstudio/

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:

Pedro's already done that genre to death...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Hades wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

Pedro's already done that genre to death...
He`s the originator.
The first sperm donor.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I heard his vinyls are all hand wanked limited editions...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

ALL techno vinyls are hand wanked limited editions.
It`s all an illusion.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

I'll do a dick stamped ltd edition then...

just imagine how blue your dick must look after dick stamping 100 vinyls...
I bet it wouldn't even look that blue if you've been gang banging smurfette together with 90 other smurfs for a whole week straight...

mainst09
Traits

Post by mainst09 »

ohh what the heck
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Hades wrote:I'll do a dick stamped ltd edition then...

I bet it wouldn't even look that blue if you've been gang banging smurfette together with 90 other smurfs for a whole week straight...
That's pretty dark. Especially given how brown your dick is...

Ploy
skaghead

Post by Ploy »

Would that be considered "proper techno" then? :?:

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Planar wrote:

That's pretty dark. Especially given how brown your dick is...
well, after 10 days of Crète, I can honestly say my dick finely fits the rest of my fantastic corps colour-wise... :D
That only happens for about 1 month a year, even though I get brown very very easily...

seanocean
Jan : )

Post by seanocean »

ashley BORG wrote:This is the thread that just keeps on giving.

Did I seriously read about the future of Techno being to look inwards to my City? So I could write some South East Coast Techno, inspired by my view of the Thames, Chav neighbours and Supped up hatchbacks.
nah but your music can be a reaction against that. for example, berlin's a techno city, but the city has a strong house underground that is full of love and devotion. The reason i mention "look to your city and your peers in your community', is because newbie techno always looks to copy. and that is at the moment a homogeneous beatport sound of what they think techno is supposed to be. and as we all know that's not exactly correct. i mean whatever happened to the leeds sound, or the sheffield sound, or even detroit has really seemed to dried up for some of it's own originality after inspiring for so very long. these cities inspired and changed the course of music in new and inspiring ways. why only look to one source, why not diversify?

Mono cultures die they get locked into this idea that everything should sound a certain way and that's not what it's about. you should be inspired by the people in your community, and not look past those people who are doing ill shit. it's true that that they might not really be doing work that's sounding exactly what's going to chart in the top ten, because it probably won't sell due to the fact it doesn't sound like X artist who's in everyone's crates right now. but that doesn't mean that they aren't doing some savage techno.

there's also another reason to look inward as well is because there's such a giant mountain of crap being thrown at us, that it's really hard to process it all.. it might be actually beneficiall to stop paying such close attention to it and just do your own thing. i'm sure we can all agree with that..

what tipped me to this idea a quite a long time ago to be inspired by your city was when a friend said to me, i really don't know what to write. i've got lots of technical skill and know my synths but.. i'm not sure where to take this. since he was a producer from chicago, i said chicago has a realy rich musical history, why not do what you think that means to you? each little community has it's own inflection of style, why not bring it out?
| / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ | | / / < < > > \ \ |

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

seanocean wrote:

nah but your music can be a reaction against that. for example, berlin's a techno city, but the city has a strong house underground that is full of love and devotion. The reason i mention "look to your city and your peers in your community', is because newbie techno always looks to copy. and that is at the moment a homogeneous beatport sound of what they think techno is supposed to be. and as we all know that's not exactly correct. i mean whatever happened to the leeds sound, or the sheffield sound, or even detroit has really seemed to dried up for some of it's own originality after inspiring for so very long. these cities inspired and changed the course of music in new and inspiring ways. why only look to one source, why not diversify?

Mono cultures die they get locked into this idea that everything should sound a certain way and that's not what it's about. you should be inspired by the people in your community, and not look past those people who are doing ill shit. it's true that that they might not really be doing work that's sounding exactly what's going to chart in the top ten, because it probably won't sell due to the fact it doesn't sound like X artist who's in everyone's crates right now. but that doesn't mean that they aren't doing some savage techno.

there's also another reason to look inward as well is because there's such a giant mountain of crap being thrown at us, that it's really hard to process it all.. it might be actually beneficiall to stop paying such close attention to it and just do your own thing. i'm sure we can all agree with that..

what tipped me to this idea a quite a long time ago to be inspired by your city was when a friend said to me, i really don't know what to write. i've got lots of technical skill and know my synths but.. i'm not sure where to take this. since he was a producer from chicago, i said chicago has a realy rich musical history, why not do what you think that means to you? each little community has it's own inflection of style, why not bring it out?

Jesus christ.....
marry me already.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

seanocean wrote:

I still don't know about this.

I get your point (thx to your eloquent explanation), far more than when you mentioned it in your previous post,
but why should one be focused on the city one lives in ffs ?

You are 500% right people shouldn't be focused to make techno like they "suspect" it is supposed to sound,
and they should just do their own thing.
Couldn't agree more.
But why should that automatically mean one should draw inspiration from the city one lives in ?

Honestly, there are so many things one can draw inspiration from : films, books, nature, poems, personal life, ...
why should the city one happens to live in be such a place of inspiration ??

I honestly believe that there once was a time where Chicago stood for X, Detroit stood for Y, Berlin stood for Z, and so on...
But nowadays ??
If you wanna do some kind of tribute, sure. Go ahead !
But if you say you should look inward, you're still just looking at the past, and saying people should look at one source (=the city they live in), which is not at all diversifying, so chances are very big you're just gonna repeat what has been done tons of times before...
except that now somehow you'll be able to say your inspiration was drawn from the city you live in.

Which "source" do you speak of when you say people look only at "one source" ?
The buttport top 10 ?
Come on now, us subsekters know better.
I don't think there are many members here who care about what the "commoners" want to label as great fucking techno (whatever that would mean/be)...

I just don't agree with you saying "each little community has it's own inflection of style".
Maybe that was the case a decade ago, and might still be the case in bigger cities nowadays, but to be honest, how many people are out there that are making music which doesn't fit into the "city's typical inflection of style" ?
I mean, Berlin for example has thousands of electronical musicians, so what's that supposed to say about which inflection of style one should draw their inspiration from ? :|

Do your own thing, that I fully agree with,
but looking "inwards", drawing inspiration from the city you live in ?
nope, I don't think that will help you much to do your own thing... :|

soulstar606

Post by soulstar606 »

Kryo wrote:I'm gonna make an "easy general classification", to understand. Some people do music because they love it, but they don't need to live from it, its just their passion. Other people are like this first kind of people but they also wanna live from this, so they must do something at respect. And the third kind of people is who wanna live from that making shit stuff & cheap copies (:evil: ).
For the 2nd kind of people
the 4th kind

people who do it because they have to....they cant not do it....there is just no other choice any more

but its already been said...the way to get the techno sound is to let the technology be the engine...you let it take over..you are the rider but the horse is the machine..and also
huge reverb kicks