Going on a trip to Barcelona - any recommendations?

General Chat // Music Discussion
aliasweber
Unartful
Going on a trip to Barcelona - any recommendations?

Post by aliasweber »

hi friends,

my wife and i are going on a week-long trip to Barcelona the second week of august. I was wondering if there are any specific bars and clubs, or events, people on this board would recommend (for techno-loving husbands travelling with techno-tolerating wives)

all the best,

-aw

mainst09
Traits
Re: Going on a trip to Barcelona - any recommendations?

Post by mainst09 »

"Subsekt - The Leading Trip Advisor"
Voices From Cindy's Cunt

aliasweber
Unartful

Post by aliasweber »

mainst09 wrote:"Subsekt - The Leading Trip Advisor"
exactly, that's why i'm asking :)

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Haha.. All I can recommend is the zoo. Some ok animals.. But you can rent a golf buggy to drive yourself around & there is a cool dolphin show also. Have a drive, se the dolphins then leave! :)

I went there a few years ago.. Brought our 4 yr old with us (at the time) - didn't get to go to any of the places we wanted to go to cos it was just the wrong type of holiday for him given his age etc.. Even though we were trying to get him to all the kids things. We did plan. He just didn't want to be abroad. It was an expensive lesson. So.. Sorry I can't be of any other assistance lol
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Watch out for pick pockets... seriously place is unreal, they are everywhere....

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yes!

I was there literally 5mins & some guy came up, stood behind me as I was queuing at a counter. He tapped my back pocket with is hand to feel if there was anything in it.. But tried to make it look like an accident due to fact he stood so close to me. But there was plenty of space either side of me so it was nothing but suspect. He also stood like a statue for a moment then walked away. He was of a certain Eastern European nomadic ethnic origin. Saw lots there at it.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

First time I went to Barca on a work do, around 4 or 5 of the group pick pocketed on the first day.

If you want to do some beach time get the train towards Sitges. It's a "gay" town but has a great beach only 20-30 mins from the airport I think.

Tobs
Pig

Post by Tobs »

I've lived there so i guess i can help:

- its summer, it will be hot. seriously hot. like there were nights i couldnt sleep because of the heat.
- barcelona is beautiful, so try to walk it, take the metro (which on saturdays is open for the whole night)
- if you are going down the ramblas, don't go to the area that is on its right. its a bit dangerous. left is ok and very peculiar
- there are really good south american restaurants, particularly there's one at the end of the ramblas that is really good, a paraguaian one, can't remember the name.
- beaches are ok in barcelona, but better up north if i'm not mistaken.
- barcelona is a really international city, you get people from everywhere, but do try to know a bit of spanish, just in case
- do the touristic places (sagrada familia, etc), they are worth it
- clubs: moog is cool, and in general you can check the RA listings.
- oh and be careful with the prostitutes, they're also pick poketers. i once saw a guy getting hit on by one and a minute after politely declining and notices he doesnt have is wallet anymore

fuck i miss barcelona. it's a nice place to be, with many peculiar things (there are many beautiful women working as police officers or trash cleaners, etc) hope you enjoy your trip.
"needs more cowbell"

http://soundcloud.com/yassir

bram2000
reverse genius

Post by bram2000 »

Barca is one of my favourite cities - have fun!

They have coffee shops there if that's your thing (some legal loophole). One big one is called 420.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Tobs wrote: - if you are going down the ramblas, don't go to the area that is on its right. its a bit dangerous. left is ok and very peculiar
Do go to the right! I had my best times around there.

I managed a whole week without getting pick pocketed, did pretty much get into a fight with a 2 meter+ tall transvestite defending a mate (who was in no state to do anything) from being touched up n pick pocketed. Right at the end we had a few hours where we had to be out of our apartment and wait for the flight back, sat in the sun in a public square, guy came up asking for directions, local skaters started shouting and running towards us, it was a distraction for someone else to go round the back n steal our bags. Lucky escape.
- do the touristic places (sagrada familia, etc), they are worth it
Yes. Even take the red open top double decker on the first day so you know what touristy places there are you can see and might want to go back to.

I highly recommend Park Güell, loved that place, check google image search.
- barcelona is a really international city, you get people from everywhere, but do try to know a bit of spanish, just in case
It took me 5 days to actually meet a local! People from all over the place. Even better, learn a bit of Catalan, from what i could tell they hate the Spanish with a passion.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

If you're into art, the Miro gallery is worth a visit.
It's a reasonable stroll up to it and you get some nice views.
I think you can get a cablecar back down from there to (not sure) the old olympic stadium. I didn't know that at the time...
From memory, the Picasso museum always seemed to have a mad queue to get in.

And yeah, I was there around this time of year and it get's hot!!!
It's not so bad strolling around the medieval part of the city (to the right of las ramblas) cos narrow/shaded streets.

If I was going back I would def consider getting a bus south along the coast to get to a nice beach for a day ..

StandardModel
skaghead

Post by StandardModel »

check out the lineup for Moog Club, great little space...

aliasweber
Unartful

Post by aliasweber »

hi everybody, thank you for all the tips. will definitely check out moog club and also take the trip to sitges. i had heard that pickpocketing was a problem in barcelona but had no idea it was this bad. thanks for the heads up!