Modular Synthesiser Discussion

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Devant
fake
Modular Synthesiser Discussion

Post by Devant »

Any other modular gremlins out there?

I've started building my own 7U (6U + 1U 84HP) eurorack since the beginning of the year after purchasing a portable enclosure from Synthrotek. The major appeal of a system like this was that I could build module kits myself for a cheaper price and it allows me to spend smaller amounts of money in instalments for each module I'm after rather than dropping a couple of grand on a full synth. Also the non linearity of a modular system when compared to most fully assembled synthesisers I really like. Being able to basically plug anything into anything else and the customisability of such a system I've found to be eye opening and has opened up a whole new world of sound creation to me.

What's in your modular? Next purchase? What do you think of your current modules?

Some useful links for those interested:

Modular database and planner: http://modulargrid.net/

Audio production forum with extensive modular discussion: https://www.muffwiggler.com/forum/

The SOS Guide To Choosing A Modular Synth: https://www.soundonsound.com/sos/apr09/ ... odular.htm

helloitsmeagain
athlete
Re: Modular Synthesiser Discussion

Post by helloitsmeagain »

An odd conversation to start at Subsekt... even odder that you rationalised modular to yourself under the guise that it would work out cheaper than a conventional synth. Prepare to be disappointed on both fronts.

I have close on 18U. I'm in the process of scaling back to 15U. Not because I don't love any of the modules I have, never met a module i didn't like, but my philosophy on my system has changed somewhat. The money I get back from the sales will in all likelihood be going towards an Integra 7, cause there's no way you getting a Rhodes out of a modular rack and I have no space for a PC3K.
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

Devant
fake

Post by Devant »

helloitsmeagain wrote:An odd conversation to start at Subsekt... even odder that you rationalised modular to yourself under the guise that it would work out cheaper than a conventional synth. Prepare to be disappointed on both fronts.

I have close on 18U. I'm in the process of scaling back to 15U. Not because I don't love any of the modules I have, never met a module i didn't like, but my philosophy on my system has changed somewhat. The money I get back from the sales will in all likelihood be going towards an Integra 7, cause there's no way you getting a Rhodes out of a modular rack and I have no space for a PC3K.
You misunderstood what I meant, I'm completely aware that in the long run it's going to cost a lot. I was just talking about how it's easier for me to pay it all off slowly as I buy each module.

helloitsmeagain
athlete

Right, got you. Well if you have the tools, skill and time, DIY is definitely the way to go. I'm sure you've done the math and worked out it's a numbers game. You gotta do a fait mount of DIY modules to make it cost effective. But there are some great DIY units out there, depending on what you into. The Turing Machine and all it's expanders, 4MS PEG and the Orgone Accumulator all spring to mind. I'm sure you've check ed out Thonk. If not, make sure to.

Of course, you will miss out of some of the more innovative or character driven modules out there if you go solely DIY. And some of the high quality gems too. Still, it can be done!
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

Devant
fake

Post by Devant »

helloitsmeagain wrote:Right, got you. Well if you have the tools, skill and time, DIY is definitely the way to go. I'm sure you've done the math and worked out it's a numbers game. You gotta do a fait mount of DIY modules to make it cost effective. But there are some great DIY units out there, depending on what you into. The Turing Machine and all it's expanders, 4MS PEG and the Orgone Accumulator all spring to mind. I'm sure you've check ed out Thonk. If not, make sure to.

Of course, you will miss out of some of the more innovative or character driven modules out there if you go solely DIY. And some of the high quality gems too. Still, it can be done!
Thanks I'll definitely check those out!

I'm not going exclusively DIY but for utility modules like mixers, multis, FX and drones I've been making myself. I just ordered a make noise DPO and MATHS so pretty excited to recieve those.

Also do you have any suggestions for a sequencer? I've been using my midi to cv converter or 101 so far but I was looking into getting a dedicated module looking mostly at audio damage sequencer 1 or make noise noise rene. The new beatstep also looks like a decent option

Resin
Pig

Post by Resin »

helloitsmeagain wrote:... Orgone Accumulator...
Seriously looking forward to build this one soon! Looks/sounds very flexible. Also have the RYO Optodist on my list, same goes for the L-1 quad VCA, but I need to finish some other modules first (sourcing parts is a bitch).

I started my eurorack a few month ago… it’s really basic right now (CVPal, VCO, LPG, Quad AD Envelope, Plague Bearer), but it’s amazing how much fun it already is. I wanna build a new case soon, with two 3U and one 1U row for multiplies, dividers and such.

helloitsmeagain
athlete

i checked out all the sequencers about 2 years ago last. a lot has come out since then but anyway, i got a cirklon instead. just made much for sense to fork out the cash and wait. haven't regretted it yet.

Devant
fake

Post by Devant »

Whereabouts is the cheapest online retailer you've found so far?

There's two good ones I've found in Australia which I've been purchasing from but unfortunately all the stuff I'm after now is out of stock on their websites.

helloitsmeagain
athlete

I've bought from: Inntelijel (direct), Analoghaven, Control, Thomann, Schneidersladen, Equinoxoz, Big City Music and Muff's second hand market. Reasoning depends on the order.

In the case of my Inntelijel order, I was looking for a few pieces from their stable, so it made sense. Big City was the only place with Cwejman stock, Thomann, I was getting cables so I just added in a module or two. Control and AH, I placed big orders for multiple modules from multiple manufacturers. Equinoxoz, was the only carrier of the module I needed.

For me, in Singapore, I don't qualify for free shipping offers. My advice is if you're looking to buy a few modules, go through a store. If you've buying one here and there, buy second hand off of Muffs. I've bought Cwejman that way. Makes more sense to go second hand when you're looking at pricier or rarer modules.

Devant
fake

Post by Devant »

Cheers dude there's a few there I haven't looked at yet.

My MI braids just arrived in the mail, I was looking to get a DPO first but I saw one locally cheap so I snapped it up. It sounds absolutely killer and I think I'll be getting a Beatstep pro as a sequencer when my local retailer gets them in stock. I also bought a whole bunch of the new 1U kits from synthrotek that I have finished building and installed including a buffered multi, unity gain mixer and stereo output mixer.

Here's a photo of the beast so far:
http://i.imgur.com/mV1McB1.jpg

skan360
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by skan360 »

Is anyone use any drum modules in their modular? Please share your experience.

helloitsmeagain
athlete

I had some. Tiptop and blue lantern. Ultimately too limiting. Roll you own with self resonating filters or vcos... What's your question exactly?

b0n0b0
Poo Fingers

Post by b0n0b0 »

I have a small set of TipTop 909s, hats, kick and clap and an 808 rimshot, the mixz and a trigger riot. I love them, I was originally on the fence since it seemed like a lot of £ for something you can do so easily with a sample or even a TR8 or second hand machine drum. In the end the trigger riot sold me since its totally unlike anything else and adds a lot to the modular overall, once I had that the drum units second hand were a no-brainer!

The noise engineering Basimilus Iteritas is class as well, I have one of those and a peaks which does drums and other things, I tend to use it as an envelope more though.

helloitsmeagain
athlete

Sorry man, but that post is a bit bullshit.
b0n0b0 wrote:I was originally on the fence since it seemed like a lot of £ for something you can do so easily with a sample or even a TR8 or second hand machine drum.
yeah exactly. So why do you love them? They have such limited CV control, why are they better than samples?
b0n0b0 wrote: In the end the trigger riot sold me since its totally unlike anything else and adds a lot to the modular overall
fair enough. but that's a not a drum module.
b0n0b0 wrote: The noise engineering Basimilus Iteritas is class as well
If you gonna say something like that you need to substantiate it. Not saying you're wrong, but it comes across as very subjective. it's not helping anyone.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

This is a conversation I really cant catch up on. It all sounds like Chinese to me.

Can we get Some foto's up in here? Would really love to see your synths.

helloitsmeagain
athlete

I'll see if i can get a pic of my rack up today. i try can annotate it as well, cause just looking at it won't make things very clear.

AK-REV
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by AK-REV »

b0n0b0 wrote:I have a small set of TipTop 909s, hats, kick and clap and an 808 rimshot, the mixz and a trigger riot. I love them, I was originally on the fence since it seemed like a lot of £ for something you can do so easily with a sample or even a TR8 or second hand machine drum. In the end the trigger riot sold me since its totally unlike anything else and adds a lot to the modular overall, once I had that the drum units second hand were a no-brainer!

The noise engineering Basimilus Iteritas is class as well, I have one of those and a peaks which does drums and other things, I tend to use it as an envelope more though.
Basimilus Iteritas used as an envelope? This seems a ridiculous way to use the best drum module every build :ugeek:

helloitsmeagain
athlete

no, he's talking about Peaks. Anyway, not sure Basimilus Iteritas is the best drum module ever built... We're in the realm of subjective opinion again. Mine is that the best drum module is not a single module. It's your modular. Nothing is as flexible as that.

Failing that, it really depends what you want. Jomox ModBase 09 & MBrane 11 would be very high of my list.

b0n0b0
Poo Fingers

Post by b0n0b0 »

Eh? I gave an opinion based on how I use them and what I think about them because I thought that was what was being asked for. You want objective facts read the spec on the website.

I love them because they are fun to use, sound great and interact with the rest of the modular - such as trigger riot as I said, or filters, effects, and CV. Sure they don't have a huge amount of CV in, but it depends what you want. I've never found myself wanting to CV or automate a kick for example. The hats have a nice am/fm cv in, tune CV in and the choke interacts nicely with the pulse length settings in trigger riot. Rimshot I tweak the pitch knob manually if I want some variation. The one I use least is the clap.

I mentioned Basimilus Iteritas in case the guy who asked wasn't aware of it so they could check it out.. but in case they cant use google for the facts or want my opinion it sounds good, wide range of sounds you can get out of it and the biggest plus is the amount of CV-in, if you want a percussiony module you can get loads of movement of sound out of BI is worth a look. Throw some CVs in and a funky gate and a lot of the time you can make a track around what comes out.

Are drum modules are an expensive luxury you don't need and could use software/samples instead? Of course they are. So is having a modular or any hardware gear really, if you can afford it and it puts a smile on your face go for it, if not, don't.

AK-REV
GET A FUCKING AVATAR!!

Post by AK-REV »

helloitsmeagain wrote:no, he's talking about Peaks. Anyway, not sure Basimilus Iteritas is the best drum module ever built... We're in the realm of subjective opinion again. Mine is that the best drum module is not a single module. It's your modular. Nothing is as flexible as that.

Failing that, it really depends what you want. Jomox ModBase 09 & MBrane 11 would be very high of my list.
My mistake, reading it to fast.

Jomox is absolute great but limited in cv options.
Actually almost every module can be worked towards Porc options. Bit of noise will do the job. Tiptop is very limited but the hexiverter mutant drums are more interesting.