Studio setup - few questions

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
aediorum
washable
Re: Studio setup - few questions

Post by aediorum »

@Voidloss - What if I was to use a jack to XLR cable? Would it cause a lot of noise and other nastiness?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

No not necessarily, the XLR are traditionally for balanced input.
You can use adapters and go in to the XLR but you are adding adapters to your chain.

I`d go for an interface that is more about instrument/line ins than mic ins with pre`s
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

aediorum
washable

Post by aediorum »

Thanks for the quick reply! Ever come across such an audio interface, with 16 line ins?

Was looking at RME (dreaming, ha!), and with the old RME Fireface 800 you could daisy chain them together, so that would be ideal...

b0n0b0
Poo Fingers

Post by b0n0b0 »

Focusrite Scarlett 18i8 looks like the best £ per line-in at £200 and 8 line inputs, struggling to find anything with more than that.

A.M.Smith
Face Hugger

Post by A.M.Smith »

Many audio interfaces have combo jacks that will take either xlr or quarter inch. Just as an example that gives me 10 on my motu 828. I would just find a reasonable interface which offers daisy chaining.

also something to think about...I have been recording everything or near everything in mono...even when recording w reverb and delay. careful panning will make for a nice stereo field

aediorum
washable

Post by aediorum »

That's a good point actually A.M.Smith, can just record in mono and, if need be, double it up inside Renoise to create a stereo recording... Will have another look at daisy chaining soundcards!

And another thought, don't currently have a drum machine, so could just get an 8 input interface with the possibility for daisy chaining, then once I've saved up enough to buy a drum machine (and also have the money to eat for the whole month), think about getting another interface.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

A.M.Smith wrote:Many audio interfaces have combo jacks that will take either xlr or quarter inch. Just as an example that gives me 10 on my motu 828. I would just find a reasonable interface which offers daisy chaining.

also something to think about...I have been recording everything or near everything in mono...even when recording w reverb and delay. careful panning will make for a nice stereo field
I have a couple of mixers which I purely use as sub mixers for drum machines individual outputs. That's a good way to have control over each sound (eq/panning/effects) but not use up all your inputs. One of them is a nasty old Boss mixer which drives the sound really quite nicely too. Also, it's easier to fuck about with faders to take sounds out, fade them in etc etc than constantly changing pattern.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

A.M.Smith
Face Hugger

Post by A.M.Smith »

Wiu wrote:
A.M.Smith wrote:Many audio interfaces have combo jacks that will take either xlr or quarter inch. Just as an example that gives me 10 on my motu 828. I would just find a reasonable interface which offers daisy chaining.

I have a couple of mixers which I purely use as sub mixers for drum machines individual outputs. That's a good way to have control over each sound (eq/panning/effects) but not use up all your inputs. One of them is a nasty old Boss mixer which drives the sound really quite nicely too. Also, it's easier to fuck about with faders to take sounds out, fade them in etc etc than constantly changing pattern.
yes. this is a great option as well, best used on drums as you say. I don't yet have a great OTB option for drums.