Tuned Percussion hits

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Esh
unsure
Tuned Percussion hits

Post by Esh »

Hello guys,

been trying for a while to achieve this type of noise. You hear it filtering in from about 12secs into the track.

https://ownlife.bandcamp.com/track/leiras-these-bones

I have a couple of problems tho. I cant even work the hit itself. any suggestions on achieving a similar sounding hit would be appreciated?

but generally speaking, whenever I am trying to make these sort of tuned percussion loops ( normally to some sort of scale) my individual hits end up sounding a bit artificial due to the repitching of the samples. Any advice?

Alume
Confetti
Re: Tuned Percussion hits

Post by Alume »

Those are just pots and pans with an auto filter? Maybe a lfo on the autofilters parameters and your good to go.

Esh
unsure

Post by Esh »

The automation side of things are easy enough. I meant the actual pattern itself is played in a tuned sequence. Its not just a one hit, its a one hit that goes up and down in pitch musically, but still doesn't sound artificial.

In other words.

How do you tune percussion in a more natural way?

And what instrument/percussion is it in this track?

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

I have to say, I listened very shalowly, if thats a word.

My bad.

Anyway, I still think its just sequenced man. Imo its a sample put in sampler or simpler(whatever) and modulated.

Im not sure what you're getting at.

It sounds like a high pitched note of a piano, with some sutarion, reverb and modulation as I said earlier.

A piano hit with short high velocity hits.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Pitch up some existing samples you have, or record something. Load sample into a sampler. Play across the keyboard until something delicious pops out at you. Or just pull a Mark Angel on the track or something.....

If it wasn't a sample, it sounds like some sort of FM based sound to me with some reverb on the higher frequencies and a shed load of filter automation or like Alume said, an auto filter doing the hard work.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Yeah, you can make these sounds using Operator if your in Ableton, fast attack, short release, maybe add that corpus effect on it. Saturate for more texture and put reverb on it. Play around with some arpeggiator to make a melody that fits.

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

It's far from accurate but heres an example made with Operator. The oscillators is slightly different in waverform settings etc but you get the idea. :)

https://clyp.it/ebma4ww0

helloitsmeagain
athlete

Post by helloitsmeagain »

all i can hear is that fucking reverb on the kick.
Because of ACiD, i now know that butter is way better than margarine. I saw through the bullshit. - Mitch Hedberg

Esh
unsure

Post by Esh »

Hepta wrote:It's far from accurate but heres an example made with Operator. The oscillators is slightly different in waverform settings etc but you get the idea. :)

https://clyp.it/ebma4ww0

Nice one mate, yeah sound is different but I guess you can reach it by fucking around with the operator oscillators till you get a more metallic percussive noise

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

Or just buy some hardware, Jomox Mbrane 11, Boss PC2, Synare, Vermona DRM1, Tempest, etc...

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Esh wrote:Nice one mate, yeah sound is different but I guess you can reach it by fucking around with the operator oscillators till you get a more metallic percussive noise
Yes exactly mate. This was made really fast and sounds very synthesised in comparison.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Just had a quick listen and of all Abletons synths, I'd reach for Collision first to generate something similar.

Esh
unsure

Post by Esh »

nice one dude. still trying to work it out. Reaching something close but still sounds a bit lame. Thats how it goes though, ill keep going at it.