Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

jordanneke
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Boiler Room - Best Moments

Post by jordanneke »

Ha ha,

I dare anyone not to dance at a wedding if you're pissed and 'Backstreet's back' comes on.....

AND to do the dance...

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

View em while they last, getting taken down faster than a firing squad

PixelKind
who is it?

Post by PixelKind »

all gone

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

PixelKind wrote:all gone

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

They'll resurface, and I'll be ready to post new links.

Too funny to go to waste.

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

Well, nice to know Boiler Room have a sense of humour.....
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

dylanlolwut
Metric Martyr

Post by dylanlolwut »

Wiu wrote:Well, nice to know Boiler Room have a sense of humour.....

oh no ppl r making fun of something that happened at our event, quick! take it down!!
Greetings, brethren. Checketh out mine soundeth-cloud!

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Boiler Room, have a sense of humor already!

I've always felt the Boiler Room experience is a bit at odds with how the scene was before the HD video era.

Lots of moments like the ITCHY Hawting clip have this train conductor "hop aboard for a musical ride!" sort of thing going on, when you see all these people directly behind the DJ.

At some point priorities seemed to shift from listening to seeing, but does that really make sense?

To me it's a much better experience to just listen to a great set. Like the new Ostgut Berghain mix.

http://createdigitalmusic.com/2015/05/g ... more-37834

I don't need to see the DJ and dancers to enjoy it, it doesn't add to the experience. In fact for me it kind of takes away from it, because it seems unnatural compared to actually attending a normal event.

Maybe that's why I enjoyed these parodies so much.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Gimme an hours set with a video of visuals...Happy daze.
On occasion it's nice to see how people go about setting up and using their gear live but it's not something I would sit down and watch!

Pretty funny how they pulled these videos.
Remember a mate of mine saying techno takes itself too seriously.
In this case, no jury required ..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

quest wrote:Boiler Room, have a sense of humor already!

I've always felt the Boiler Room experience is a bit at odds with how the scene was before the HD video era.

Lots of moments like the . Hawting clip have this train conductor "hop aboard for a musical ride!" sort of thing going on, when you see all these people directly behind the DJ.

At some point priorities seemed to shift from listening to seeing, but does that really make sense?

To me it's a much better experience to just listen to a great set. Like the new Ostgut Berghain mix.

I don't need to see the DJ and dancers to enjoy it, it doesn't add to the experience. In fact for me it kind of takes away from it, because it seems unnatural compared to actually attending a normal event.

It`s a direct product of the selfie generation.
Spectacle.

It just makes me think of when I used to put on raves, we`d always consciously set the speaker stack up in one big cluster, whereas a lot of rigs would have it either side of the DJ. We`d keep the decks and stuff to the side of the stack, and mounted all the lights on top of the stack.
One of our backdrops even said in red and black lettering "Face the speakers".
If we did a split stack we`d put camo netting in front of the DJ tower, so they were mostly invisible.

My fave parties used to be lost parties in the late 90`s. Fuck off big stack of speakers, blacked out room and some strobes.

Make everything about the music.
Isn`t that enough any more? has the music lost it`s meaning now?

Now because attention spans are so short, and the kids are all in a multi screen mindset, watching TV, fucking with their phones and dicking around with an ipad all at the same time, you have parties where they have lazers, strobes, projections, smoke, mist, gobo`s, all this information everywhere.

I give it another year before we see techno DJ`s starting to stand on the fucking deck table with their arms in the air.

There`s nothing really interesting about seeing some guy standing behind platters with his head crooked at an angle to hold his phones in place, whilst he flips a fader, there is no real need to see it.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

So my question becomes - WTF happened in the past 10-15 years?

Are people naturally egotistic? Because they sure didn't seem to act that way when the status quo shamed people who were in the 90s. But once the status quo shifted towards individualistic behavior in the 2000s, all these people were all too eager to jump bandwagons.

Technology seemed to exacerbate the situation. I saw people walking the same way as me with a selfie stick and I couldn't look at them.
Digital photography-driven vanity has driven me just as nuts as video-driven vanity.

If anything, I guess my conclusion is that most people are bandwagon jumpers and will go along with whatever the trend setters decide.
Last edited by quest on Fri May 29, 2015 2:44 am, edited 2 times in total.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

Lost to the Void wrote:

Lots of moments like the . Hawting clip have this train conductor "hop aboard for a musical ride!" sort of thing going on, when you see all these people directly behind the DJ.

Spectacle.

It just makes me think of when I used to put on raves, we`d always consciously set the speaker stack up in one big cluster, whereas a lot of rigs would have it either side of the DJ. We`d keep the decks and stuff to the side of the stack, and mounted all the lights on top of the stack.
If we did a split stack we`d put camo netting in front of the DJ tower, so they were mostly invisible.

My fave parties used to be lost parties in the late 90`s. Fuck off big stack of speakers, blacked out room and some strobes.

Now because attention spans are so short, and the kids are all in a multi screen mindset, watching TV, fucking with their phones and dicking around with an ipad all at the same time, you have parties where they have lazers, strobes, projections, smoke, mist, gobo`s, all this information everywhere.

I give it another year before we see techno DJ`s starting to stand on the fucking deck table with their arms in the air.

There`s nothing really interesting about seeing some guy standing behind platters with his head crooked at an angle to hold his phones in place, whilst he flips a fader, there is no real need to see it.
I dont know man, I think there are two kind of groups here. The music lovers, who dont give a fuck about anything except the crowd, music and sound system. Any then you have the party goers, who go to parties to get fucked up, dance and whatever(which is cool as well). I think the main difference with the 90's is that the parties were thrown by the music lovers, who knew what was needed: a location, a system and a dj. Now the parties are thrown by the party goers, which shines a whole new light on the situation. As the whole party scene has had a significant rise in popularity the last few years as has the use of drugs, namely MDMA. The party goers organisers try to fit their party with these mdma people and make visuals, stands for facepaint and all that shit. Its just a product now.

Some friend and I have been thinking about changing the situation, atleast small scale but its hard in the netherlands. Maybe my will to do it is to little, but how hard can it be to get a party going somewhere, in a barn for instance and just let the party lead itself? Plus the finance is a situation as well,s hit is expensive(I imagine it always have been).

How did you guys do it Steve? Did you all invest in a system and thats it?

Twilitez
You only live once

Post by Twilitez »

Its a joke and not actually affiliated with the the regular boiler room in any way,

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Alume wrote:
Lost to the Void wrote:

Spectacle.

I dont know man, I think there are two kind of groups here. The music lovers, who dont give a fuck about anything except the crowd, music and sound system. Any then you have the party goers, who go to parties to get fucked up, dance and whatever(which is cool as well). I think the main difference with the 90's is that the parties were thrown by the music lovers, who knew what was needed: a location, a system and a dj. Now the parties are thrown by the party goers, which shines a whole new light on the situation. As the whole party scene has had a significant rise in popularity the last few years as has the use of drugs, namely MDMA. The party goers organisers try to fit their party with these mdma people and make visuals, stands for facepaint and all that shit. Its just a product now.

Some friend and I have been thinking about changing the situation, atleast small scale but its hard in the netherlands. Maybe my will to do it is to little, but how hard can it be to get a party going somewhere, in a barn for instance and just let the party lead itself? Plus the finance is a situation as well,s hit is expensive(I imagine it always have been).

How did you guys do it Steve? Did you all invest in a system and thats it?
You can`t blame it on MDMA mate, it was flowing like water at the parties we used to do...

How did we do it?

Get a soundsystem, a truck, a load of mains fuses for power heads, some bolt croppers, stilson wrenches, balls of steel and the will to party no matter what.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

I blame camera phones full stop.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Maybe this is the answer:

http://www.cnet.com/news/phone-crazed-a ... -the-case/

http://overyondr.com

Looks like the YT links will be back up soon if not already now that they're working things out with Boiler Room.

Here we go:

https://youtube.com/playlist?list=PLF-K ... kiwgUZ91vh

Teachtaire
Poo Fingers

Post by Teachtaire »

I like the boiler room videos in general. I remember the 90s well, if you were able to get near the dj booth at all you would still be lucky to get a view of the equipment and how it was being used. Also if we had realistic access to cameras in the 90s Im pretty sure we all would have filmed more of our gigs/raves/parties. The current democratic status of music and video technology has inevitably led to humongous piles of shite dripping from our media stations but we may be witnessing the birth of full art which would involve sound, visual and all of the senses. At the moment we are plastered in a very flat two dimensional artistic realm with sound and visuals. Sometime in the near future three dimensional art which does not include all of the previously mentioned aspects will inevitably seem empty.