Respect for Salazar!

General Chat // Music Discussion
Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Respect for Salazar!

Post by Lost to the Void »

Oh I have had a plethora of shitty jobs to support myself as a budding musician before I could support myself with music.
I could write a book about the weird things I have done to earn dollar.

There were definitely some benefits, like hours convenient to my lifestyle, or just being left alone to read or make music whilst "working"
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ONE wrote:To begin:

The figure of 3,500€ is inaccurate as it is the monthly wage BEFORE the industry was privatised a few years ago. Prior to that, it is accurate (in the Norther European city I live in.)

The plot thickens if the worker is married w/ children and the tax is calculated as a family. It's normal for the bread-winner (in a marriage), here, for the taxation to be reduced considerably; but the taxation of the McJob non-breadwinner to be extortionate. So largely it's pointless painting in big strokes as it's all dependent on location, married/unmarried and crucially, how many kids.

I've been married for almost 10 years now, and both of my children are "calculated" under my name (since it's better than having them put on my wife's name).
I've been slaving away for the last 15 years of my life on a highly underpaid very stressfull job, only cause the hours gave me more time to spend with my kids and my music,
and because on quiet nights I had some time to spend on my music-making, or at least on reading manuals and what not,
and also because I never had to see my direct supervisor/boss, which is in my case a good thing since I don't tend to get along well with them in general.
During my "shadow-job" existence (one can't call it a "career" really), I have survived 28+ supervisors and 4 big bosses.
So every time some supervisor wanted to tell me something, I just thought : "sure man, chances are so much bigger I'll outlive you here than you'll get me gone"...

Untill I got home with a total burn-out.
But that's not the point here.

What I was trying to say was : 3500€ netto, even with 2 or 3 kids, means you're in one of Europe's best paid countries economically seen.
(Norway is my guess, they even had to split their pension funds recently because the risk of losing it all (huge amounts of money from oil and gas) from just a few persons making bad investments was simply too big, I guess that really says enough)

I've done a lot of hard jobs over the years, and Steve is right : you can't compare offshore oil labour to a normal job, not even some highly dangerous graveyard job.

we're not asking for your social security number here, just the country that you're from. If you don't want to give us that info, that's ok, but to us that info is crucial to give many of us that are doing shitty jobs to support our families and still have some time for our music-making, a better and more detailed, call it accurate point of view. ;)
ONE wrote:
The point I wanted to make before being led astray w/ unspeakable tactlessness and gross factual inaccuracy was .... .
damn, I would hope I wasn't unspeakable tactless and inaccurate gross factual-wise ;)
Seriously though, mr ONE : you seem (to me) very intelligent, extremely educated cultural-wise, and highly eloquent (always a big plus in my personal book),
by all means, we need more of you in subsekt country at all price !!!

but if you are over-sensitive to people calling you a cunt, or can't take a punch once in a while,
then you'll be very easily offended in this part of the internet, and I'd hate you to leave us because of that.
We are a brutal bunch, but we are totally honest.

as I said on one of my first posts here on subsekt : if you can't laugh with yourself, someone else should do it for you ! :D ;) ;)

(of course, if you are referring to some other post on this forum which I have not read, then kindly disregard my above rambling.)
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Eliad
Exampleless

Post by Eliad »

ONE wrote:To begin:

The point I wanted to make before being led astray w/ unspeakable tactlessness and gross factual inaccuracy was ....
Chill out, i was just surprised, but nobody said you were wrong. I don't claim to know what a dustbin man earns in every country on the planet, but, as being said, only some of the richer countries could afford to give that kind of wage to low skilled workers. If you live in Northern Europe, then it makes sense.

Don't be oversensitive.

ONE
Chernobyl

Post by ONE »

Sir, I am manifestly chilled.

The factual inaccuracy referred to was mine. I was taking the piss out of myself - to myself - sorry, for a moment I thought I was not on the internet (that font of all things inaccurate). Apologies: everything must be qualified in print - or there is no credibility.

I'm not telling anyone who I am or where I live - largely because I lead the peripatetic life and truly I have no idea what home really means, but also because I would like to preserve my anonymity.

Suffice to say: I am not Regis. Nor am I Spartacus; and nor do I feel the need to twitter every time I do a knobbly, uncomfortable shit in the shape of the McDonalds arches, as we all do, from time to time.

If you can understand The Devil's Tongue, this page (again - font of all things inaccurate - where is the provenance?) may prove enlightening.

To echo previous comments - all I wanted to achieve was to point out that lives similar to Herr Salazar - are all too common; but also that there are swathes of society that do very well indeed from the crummiest, grubbiest tasks. My working life is testament to this - as are the lives of trash men in certain German cities.

Eliad
Exampleless

Post by Eliad »

If knowing how a dustbinman was precisely earning in Germany prior to the privatization of the was really impotant to me, i would argue that the guy who provided this data hasn't given its provenance - as you said it.

But honesly I don't care so let's move on. They were very well paid, i got it. I don't think that, in that case, it is underseved. After all, they're collecting our shits several days a week.

But in most european countries, menial jobs are not well paid at all. So let's not make hasty generalizations. As for Salazare, i agree with you, i don't think that him having a low skilled job makes him more deserving. He is an artist who deserves respect, but his job has nothing to do with it.

Oh, one last last thing. I don't know if you do it on purpose, probably not -actually, maybe i have this feeling because my understanding of english is far from perfect-, but you sometimes sound a little, you know, patronizing.
Last edited by Eliad on Tue May 19, 2015 9:33 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ONE
Chernobyl

Post by ONE »

Absolutely. It's part of who I am. Such is life.

Eliad
Exampleless

Post by Eliad »

Such a philosopher. I wish i could have thoughts as deep as yours.

ONE
Chernobyl

Post by ONE »

I feel that was a pithy comment too far on your behalf, Eliad, regardless, together, we will crush this affliction.

Eliad
Exampleless

Post by Eliad »

I am looking forward to it.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

damn, either these trash men are highly overpaid or I was highly underpaid.
probably both.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

every time I see the thread title

Respect for Salazar.

My mind rebels and says

NO

Don`t respect

BOW DOWN IN AWE OF THE MIGHTY SALAZAR
GRAND VIZIER TO THE BLACK SULTAN
AND SORCERER WHO WIELDS
THE DARKNESS ITSELF AS HIS WEAPON

GET ON YOUR KNEES MORTALS!!!

And I have this image in my head

That`s probably because I`m working a bit too much and not sleeping enough.

But fuck you, you can have this image too now.

Cunts.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

it's ok, I got a family pack of 10mg valiums right here,
perhaps I should just send you some.

if they don't do you any good at least they will no doubt help your mrs to be of better service...

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

My mrs is in china for 2 weeks
I am unbridled in my madness for that period.
New Shit

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Lost to the Void wrote:My mrs is in china for 2 weeks
I am unbridled in my madness for that period.
I can picture you wearing nothing but a leopard thong,
with peanut-butter rubbed all over your naked body,
and a piece of celery strapped behind your head
(you ran all out of indian feathers last time the mrs left for 24+ hours),
playing your dead metal guitar with a broom till 4AM...

it's an art just as any other out there,
don't let anyone else tell you differently now !

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

That's not too far from the truth.
New Shit