Im not really into his music, but you need to respect the man

https://vimeo.com/127671351
WTF?!

arc
^^ Has a Drumcode Tattoo
Re: Respect for Salazar!

Post by arc »

Inspiring story.

As a Chicano myself, I have nothing but respect for this man.

Thanks for sharing it. :)

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Yeah! Enjoyed that. Seems like a good guy. Just goes to show that people are just people at the end of the day. The tendancy is to disconnect the person from their 'art' just because they do something special.

I saw him going into his job not knowing what he did for a living. Ghostbuster? I thought haha

Respect to him for sure. We all lead double lives in some way to keep sane!
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

He obviously has production chops, surely he can get himself a better job.
Music/production teacher?
Or does he live in the barrio?
Respect to the man, I've done some shitty jobs to support myself too.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Know what you mean Steve. Been thinking about it..

He has a family & does music as well.. I'd say he values the security of regular work. His job is probably very flexible. He possibly does other stuff on the side but he'd be a fool to declare the extra income. Underground Resistance!!
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Yeah, good luck to him, he clearly loves his music with a passion.
New Shit

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Hey.. Who would want to stop being a Ghostbuster!!? haha

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

As long as he leaves slimer alone, he is fine
New Shit

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

It would be verry tempting alright.

StandardModel
skaghead

Post by StandardModel »

Big fan of Salazar, he's the king of strings for me...

He'd be absolutely rinsing it if he lived in Berlin....

Alert
brown envelope

Post by Alert »

Lost to the Void wrote:As long as he leaves slimer alone, he is fine
LULZ

I actually found/bought a Ghostbusters t-shirt at the thrift store a few days ago

:lol:

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Looks like a night job so it means nobody to annoy you! Fair play to him. His strings really sing with that detroit quality ..

StandardModel
skaghead

Post by StandardModel »

I was always under the impression he was involved in knights of the jaguar, but in the vid he said he only got involved in 2002?

ONE
Chernobyl

Post by ONE »

Is this unusual? Doesn't Bleaching Agent do the same?

Last year, I worked the bins, that's right, emptying people's household trash into a truck - and trying not to fall off the back off it. It was just a job; I needed funds; I had to ad lib.

Incidentally - if one wanted to do this work full-time (as opposed to the short agency-gig as I) you'd be looking at around €3500 / month after tax. Let's not break out the violins just yet ...

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

ONE wrote:Is this unusual? Doesn't Bleaching Agent do the same?

Last year, I worked the bins, that's right, emptying people's household trash into a truck - and trying not to fall off the back off it. It was just a job; I needed funds; I had to ad lib.

Incidentally - if one wanted to do this work full-time (as opposed to the short agency-gig as I) you'd be looking at around €3500 / month after tax. Let's not break out the violins just yet ...
in which country do you live that you get 3500€ for that job if you don't mind me asking ???
I mean, no offence, I know that job isn't paid bad at all, but that's quite a big paycheck for that job.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

Eliad
Exampleless

Post by Eliad »

Whaaaaat ? 3500e after tax ? You sure ? I mean, even in France where they are well paid they don't earn that much... Are you living in Luxembourg or in Norway ?

As for Salazar, he must find some satisfaction in this job i think. I mean, couldn't a famous dj like him make some good money ? He goes all around the world, he was signed by UR, he sells songs on itunes, beatport... And he must know a lot of people.

Hades
Shit Eater

Post by Hades »

Eliad wrote:

Are you living in Luxembourg or in Norway ?

that's what I thought exactly...

Eliad wrote: he sells songs on itunes, beatport...
I had a "relatively known" Belgian producer in my studio once, picking up some gear he bought from me.
He makes cheesy popular "clubby dancetracks".
He told me nowadays if he gets a "clubhit", that means it's approx. 5 weeks of 300 downloads, and he only gets 1€/dl, so that's like 1500€ from digital "sales".
He explained how in the old days you could earn 10.000 to 15.000€ with one good hit, but now that's about all you'll get.
Nowadays this guy works as a DJ almost every weekend, and still runs a webshop of audio gear on the side.
So yeah, I guess he ain't making a huge living out of it.

Seriously, if you can get booked every weekend, you can probably live from this stuff, but otherwise it has become a seriously over-saturated market.

My guess is this : if the guy has a family, he prefers to do it this way, cause it means he's at least home during the week.
If you want to full-time make a living out of this, it means flying all over the world all the time,
so how much are his kids gonna see him ? And if they do get to see him, in what shape will he be ? Constantly jet-lagged ?
And it can still be finished every year (and will probably be finished some day eventually).
This way he only has very little disadvantages of the job, and he's not dependent from it as his main source of income.
To me, he deserves all the more respect if that's why he decided to do it this way.
Sin cambios no hay mariposa

ONE
Chernobyl

Post by ONE »

To begin:

The figure of 3,500€ is inaccurate as it is the monthly wage BEFORE the industry was privatised a few years ago. Prior to that, it is accurate (in the Norther European city I live in.)

The plot thickens if the worker is married w/ children and the tax is calculated as a family. It's normal for the bread-winner (in a marriage), here, for the taxation to be reduced considerably; but the taxation of the McJob non-breadwinner to be extortionate. So largely it's pointless painting in big strokes as it's all dependent on location, married/unmarried and crucially, how many kids.

The point I wanted to make before being led astray w/ unspeakable tactlessness and gross factual inaccuracy was .... That blue collar workers have largely always taken home more compared to even graduates. Anyone doubting this should spend some time in Aberdeen - a city that serves the UK offshore oil industry. A short stay here will surround you w/ young men comfortable in a two weeks on - two weeks off working life (who need not be über-skilled - think offshore painter and sand-blasters) who take home 60K GBP for essentially six months work a year. Ask an industrious urban plumber or electrician what they gross in a year - you'll ask yourself why you didn't go to technical college instead of reading History ...

It's a dirty job etc ..

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

You can`t compare offshore oil work (which has higher pay due to the nature and location of the job), to night cleaners.

I used to work in a museum here in london as head of security, all the cleaning staff were columbians, the poor bastards got paid a pittance, and it was tough work, the site was huge and the management was so demanding.
New Shit

ONE
Chernobyl

Post by ONE »

You're right - you cannot really.

But in Northern Europe, where most if not close to all have had a good decade of full time education, there are massive fields of work for those that are a) an academic failure, or b) are low on obvious skills (tinker, tailor et al). Who you know really is more important than what.

Of course, many lack the ambition to reach up and out, some will stay exactly where they are for many reasons I couldn't hope to cover here (yes, I accept colour and creed do play an important role - especially amongst the immigrant community).

As Hades pointed out, there are benefits to shit jobs; some of them can work out very positively for you, especially if you're creative and there's a lot more to your life than meets the eye. Salazar fits this category; no medals required.