Drum & Bass Thread

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Re: Drum & Bass Thread

Post by Planar »

willemb wrote:It is a leap for dnb, so much so, that i doubt that it will be accepted as dnb.
Having read some of the replies about this I'm surprised what a rigid view people of have. It seems for some if it doesn't have a pitched up break and a big sub it's not DnB. It's like saying if it doesn't have a 909 and 303 it's not techno. Maybe labelling music at all is fucking stupid, but if this kind of sound mixes nicely with DnB (it does) then I'm going to refer to it as that. The lines are blurred, the mix in my sig starts with a couple of tracks like this, the 2nd track is from a techno release.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

if it doesn't have a pitched up break and a big sub it's not DnB.
...yetif you put a kick on the one and the 'and' of three, then it IS dnb and you become entitled to say that others have rigid viewpoints. Was that it?

Stupid thread is stupid.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

This the drum and bass thread, it's been going for ages. If you don't like discussion about DnB in the DnB thread don't fucking read it, eh? Never mind being a dick about something you neither care about or want to discuss properly. Frankly I don't give a fuck what you think about this music, but if you don't like it, fine, at least put together a decent post about your thoughts on it if you're going to criticise (maybe a coherent one this time).

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

I like drum n bass. The samuari horo stuff is off topic.

innovine
hmmmmmm...

Post by innovine »

Planar wrote:, but if you don't like it, fine, at least put together a decent post about your thoughts on it if you're going to criticise
I didn't think much of it. To me, it's just bland. Like, taking a cross over of two styles I love, jungle/dnb and techno, and then removing the sub, the twisty bass, the melody, the rolling, the future evil vibe, the syncopation, the complex percussion layers, the bite and aggression, the relentlessness, the mechanistic drive, the hypnotic beat, the assembly line robots, the techno, and what do you have left? A few pads, lots of reverb, a bit of a kick now and then. Sprinkle in bongos and one shots, add some dist.e. It's like they consciously took out everything that was cool and left whatevers left. That might be rnteresting in theory, but it was a watered down non-descript (well mixed) uninspiring meander through... well, nothing.
I was sort of expecting a dnb/techno hybrid to feature all of the best bits of both, rather than just subtracting all the juice.

Which is just my 2c of course. And I don't particularly think I'm rigid in my definitions and taste. I enjoy the ambienty dnb stuff played by josh hill. I like the dubsteppy kryptic minds. I like macc and pinecone moonshine releases. I like the edgy stuff more than the ambient. But I do sorta think it should have drums, and bass, to call it drum and bass. My only gripe here is the connection to dnb being proposed for this samuari horo mix, I think thats rubbish. I listen to enough varied genres to know that if its not 4 2 floor it doesn't automatically mean its dnb.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

innovine wrote:
Planar wrote:, but if you don't like it, fine, at least put together a decent post about your thoughts on it if you're going to criticise
I didn't think much of it. To me, it's just bland. Like, taking a cross over of two styles I love, jungle/dnb and techno, and then removing the sub, the twisty bass, the melody, the rolling, the future evil vibe, the syncopation, the complex percussion layers, the bite and aggression, the relentlessness, the mechanistic drive, the hypnotic beat, the assembly line robots, the techno, and what do you have left? A few pads, lots of reverb, a bit of a kick now and then. Sprinkle in bongos and one shots, add some dist.e. It's like they consciously took out everything that was cool and left whatevers left. That might be rnteresting in theory, but it was a watered down non-descript (well mixed) uninspiring meander through... well, nothing.
I was sort of expecting a dnb/techno hybrid to feature all of the best bits of both, rather than just subtracting all the juice.

Which is just my 2c of course. And I don't particularly think I'm rigid in my definitions and taste. I enjoy the ambienty dnb stuff played by josh hill. I like the dubsteppy kryptic minds. I like macc and pinecone moonshine releases. I like the edgy stuff more than the ambient. But I do sorta think it should have drums, and bass, to call it drum and bass. My only gripe here is the connection to dnb being proposed for this samuari horo mix, I think thats rubbish. I listen to enough varied genres to know that if its not 4 2 floor it doesn't automatically mean its dnb.
That's fine, you've got your reasoning, thanks for explaining. But it's worth bearing in mind this isn't a Mix of Horo stuff, it's to help announce Horo:ex a new sub label for music Presha can't categorise that might just happen to be 170 bpm (ish). He thinks it's techno, which is why I thought it was worth posting to be begin with and it seems he may have a point given how this conversation has gone. Horo is 100% DnB, it's not even that experimental apart from a couple of artists, just maybe a bit left of field.

I like the music, regardless of what genre anyone thinks it is and when taken from the pure DnB perspective I find it hard to argue that it isn't breaking ground. I hear sounds from sound design techno (which I'm a fan of), but I hear the different tempo and the differing influence of dub that permeates the sound. To me I hear music that I can listen to and find depth and complexity but will still fit into my mixes and that's what I find exciting (and why I'm calling it DnB as long as it's 170ish bpm). I've long disliked the DnB style of mixes with no progression or thought behind it, differing moods like this allow me to continue to mix the music more like techno or house where there is scope to move between textures and moods. Now I can contrast something deeper and maybe introspective with some dark as fuck roller (because they're fun too).

After loving DnB for as long as I remember but being frustrated by its constraints, it's now refreshing to see it released for its shackles like this and be in a position to be talked about in this kind of context. For all I'm sick of techno I'm equally bored of straight amen loops and twisty neuro baselines. I'm interested in music that can evolve and be mature enough to accommodate a range of styles, for a long time DnB has been as conservative a genre as I can think of.

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

I also like this "grey area" between dnb and techno... That mix by Geoff Presha is amazing, it's super interesting.

So out pure curiosity I had to try it out.

Link to the track: http://subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5390

tsurani
non reader

Post by tsurani »

Just saw this and thought it might be of interest to some of you
dBridge has put up the full Logic session for one of his latest releases with Kid Drama entitled “Module Eight. It’s part of an ongoing project they are working on and you can download the full Logic X session on Splice.

https://blog.splice.com/dbridge-exit-re ... ule-eight/

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Nice link, wish he used Ableton. The sound player in that link is nice, I like the arrangement matching playback position. Anyone used Splice?

tsurani
non reader

Post by tsurani »

I thought the way they added in little notes when you hover over the exit logo on the player was nice.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

It looks like Nonplus are releasing some old Source Direct tunes and are getting some techno-ish remixes done of them. The first is Black Rose with a Blawan remix, it's better than I expected tbh. Hopefully stuff like The Crane and Snake Style will be coming soon.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

that blawan remix is bad ass

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

The next remix is by Demdike Stare, apparently. Great choice, IMO.

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Planar wrote:The next remix is by Demdike Stare, apparently. Great choice, IMO.
I was gonna post this too, but couldn't find a decent audio example of the Blawan Remix. I could only find a Surgeon play out from last year, and from that I couldn't really comment (not really a Blawan fan either)
But from a general perspective it's good to see some cross genre stuff happening. We need more of that.

HYRRA
Interact. Don't Spam.

Post by HYRRA »

This mix really sums up all the aspects of DnB that I absolutely love.

Get's real interesting after 15 minutes in my opinion. Love the garage-like basses!

Follow this guy, he pumps out amazing mixes, you can tell he put alot of effort in them!
17 year old kid crazy in love with techno

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

New mix from me in the mixes forum (and sig, of course :) ).

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

Great track, unnecessary boring remix that goes DOOF DOOF.

Interested in what demdike stare might do though.... Kinda.

It's just not necessary to remix though. Just re-release would be fine.
But this is the nature of the business now, everything needs a remix from whoever the current poster child is apparently.....
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

I'm all for if it means I can get some decent digital copies of the originals. And I guess Non Plus would be a little concerned that simple reissues might alienate their usual followers, so I can see the logic.

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Someone probably already posted this, but just in case:

182 LTJ Bukem mixes free to download
https://archive.org/details/175bpm.plLt ... Collection

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »