>>>>>Subsekt Mixing Challenge/Exercise *1*<<<<<

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
surface
Balance
Re: >>>>>Subsekt Mixing Challenge/Exercise *1*<<<<<

Post by surface »

I dunno. I would imagine most of us work in a similar way to Wiu. Having the final version to reference means you question what elements have been treated and moulded around each other and spend time trying to figure out how it was done. In the end, there is no wrong way or right way. Just depends on what you consider the main sounds/elements that should be given focus. I guess the fact that it's a techno track narrows the likely approaches as such.
I have yet to look at it properly but it should be interesting and, more to the point, a good chance to learn something from it. Chances are I'll be scratching my head, throwing my monitors out the window and screaming "ah fuck this!" a handful of times :D

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I could put the unmastered audio on soundcloud but really it shouldn't matter, it should only be needed for referencing the parts as they relate to each other level wise etc, the dynamics of the master obviously shouldn't be used as a reference.
It's up to anyone who does this to decide what they do with the dynamics, both the individual channels and the 2buss.

I will say that I always mix techno in to a compressor on the 2 buss, so it is worth bearing this in mind, or not, there are many ways.
Achieving something that will translate well is the objective.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

surface
Balance

Post by surface »

Lost to the Void wrote:...Achieving something that will translate well is the objective.
In fairness, setting this challenge up, it's proper jedi territory. Be good to see what comes of it. I'll be straight up and say I'm gonna struggle like a mofo on it cos I know I'm a cuntry mile off it but you can't expect to discover years of experience in one sitting. It's good to have a solid marker on what we all are striving for. Fuck it, it's what we are all into so it's def gonna be of benefit in the end ..

winston
unsure

Post by winston »

Thanks for putting your track up, it will be an interesting challenge.

I listened to the track you posted in the other thread, but that was a few days ago, so i don't have a reference: just like it should be.

I'll get into this over the weekend. it will make a change from starting tracks and then abandoning them half way through.

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

Lost to the Void wrote: Here are the links to the tracks.
http://we.tl/xawe7PTpqk
Thanks, downloading!

A_K
Suspect Handshake

Post by A_K »

Steve, I gotta say, I'm having a whole lot of fun with these stems. This is awesome! Challenging... but awesome! :mrgreen:

extinguish
middot

Post by extinguish »

Thanks Steve. This challenge came at the right time too, deep in a lull at the moment.

Tobs
Pig

Post by Tobs »

alright so i'm back in the forum due to this challenge, will work on it and for sure i'll post something
"needs more cowbell"

http://soundcloud.com/yassir

Patriek
Mititei

Post by Patriek »

So, i can do whatever i want with the stems? Make a remix etc, but in the end...it's the mixdown that counts right?
Don't try for perfect, it's never enough
https://hearthis.at/patriek/
http://www.soundcloud.com/patriek

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Well the point is to mix down the stems and add nothing else, this is a mixing exercise.
You can remix if you like but it's not the point.
New Shit

Patriek
Mititei

Post by Patriek »

Nevermind, download first Patriek, then ask questions.... :oops:
Don't try for perfect, it's never enough
https://hearthis.at/patriek/
http://www.soundcloud.com/patriek

Thies
Pig

Post by Thies »

any chance to still get those files? would love to give it a try

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

I'll upload the pack again and relink on Monday
New Shit

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Wicked I would like to have a go at this. Good man Steve!
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

Hey guys! This is my mixdown attempt. I didn't take as many notes as I probably should have but I'm gonna try to explain.

I lined up the stems in Ableton and un-warped all the audio files, then I put everything "low end" into a group and started to eq them so they fit nicely to my ears. I used a bit of compression over this low end bus (which contained the sub, kick and main kick) to get it pumping. I didn't bus anything else.

I removed the bass from every other stem like hats, stabs, pad etc. Tried my best to separate them all with just basic eq:ing and a bit of panning. The only effects I used really was stock Ableton. EQ on the elements, compression on the kick/sub bus. Glue on the master to catch peaks and rms chained after that. Lastly a touch of Satin. I also did A / B my version and Steves version quite a lot during the process.

I'm sorry it all sounds to general with my description.

This is the first time I've got the change to mix and master someone else's work and it was a nice experience. Had a blast! Thank you Steve for making this challenge!

And please criticize the shit out if me as I want to improve hehe.

Track is awesome btw.
Last edited by Hepta on Tue May 05, 2015 3:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Hepta
I Love YOU!!!

Post by Hepta »

If I were to give myself some criticism I would say my version doesn't sound as punchy as Steves. Especially when the rest of the elements come to play. When I A / B between them I can hear some nice grittyness in the low-end of Steves version that doesn't exist in mine. I must have used EQ on those frequencies because I thought it was mud haha... I also think the high end frequencies are as "tight" as they could have been. Sounds a bit too silky.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

New download link in first post for those still wishing to do this.
New Shit

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Hepta wrote:Hey guys! This is my mixdown attempt. I didn't take as many notes as I probably should have but I'm gonna try to explain.

I lined up the stems in Ableton and un-warped all the audio files, then I put everything "low end" into a group and started to eq them so they fit nicely to my ears. I used a bit of compression over this low end bus (which contained the sub, kick and main kick) to get it pumping. I didn't bus anything else.

I removed the bass from every other stem like hats, stabs, pad etc. Tried my best to separate them all with just basic eq:ing and a bit of panning. The only effects I used really was stock Ableton. EQ on the elements, compression on the kick/sub bus. Glue on the master to catch peaks and rms chained after that. Lastly a touch of Satin. I also did A / B my version and Steves version quite a lot during the process.

This is the first time I've got the change to mix and master someone else's work and it was a nice experience. Had a blast! Thank you Steve for making this challenge!

Track is awesome btw.

I think you`ve done a pretty good job.
The mix is pretty clear, I use very big sounds so they can be really difficult to fit together, but you did really well I think.
I would say the low end could be a little fuller, and overall a little punchier (I suspect you lost this trying to get a loud "master").
I think maybe you`ve allowed too much of the top end grungeyness of the kicks through, which does add a little too much fizz in the mix.
And the high end overall is a little too much and a touch harsh.

You handled the "rides" pretty well, I was interested to hear how people would deal with that as the sound in the pack and the final sound in the mix are really different. It was all EQ work that turned that sound in to "rides", though you missed on the rhythmic pumping (achieved through sidechain).

But overall you`ve done a really good job, I would have liked to hear an umastered version as I suspect you may have undone some of your good work in this process.
New Shit

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

Hepta wrote:Hey guys! This is my mixdown attempt. I didn't take as many notes as I probably should have but I'm gonna try to explain.

Track is awesome btw.
Sounds great to me.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Nice, I'm right at this stage with my music so I will give this a shot.

The mix/master reminds me of

It's a kind of dampened distortion that fills up the sound but isn't hard on the ears like overdone compression settings.

I really need this kind of practice where a lot of the non-technical concerns are removed for me. Thanks for this and also the mastering guide, though I have a long way to go and probably would rather pay for mastering than hope to do a decent job myself..