What CDJS would you recommend?

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Macca
durchfall
What CDJS would you recommend?

Post by Macca »

Hi there, been considering changing my set up.

I have currently 2 turntables, and 2 Traktor X1s (they don't really go hand in hand as you cant beat match with an x1, atleast not easily) so was planning on getting rid of them and going into 2 turntables and 2 cdjs.

What would you guys recommend? Ive been looking at a few options.
My idea is to either have 2 pioneer 850k's or 2 pioneer 350s. (is there much difference between these?)

I think the option I am most likely going with is to get one 850k, and wait till I can afford another.

Are there any other cheaper option that are around the same as the pioneers?

budget is around £1000. (I plan on trying getting 850s second hand or paying monthly to afford them)
Instagram: @stevenmcfarlanedesign

Planar
subsekt
subsekt
Re: What CDJS would you recommend?

Post by Planar »

Just use a DVS system and use the turntables for everything. Doesn't traktor do that already, anyway?

I heartily recommend Serato for it anyway, it's the nuts.

Devant
fake

Post by Devant »

You definitely want the 850s over 350s the bigger platter makes a huge difference especially if you're coming from a turntablist background

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

So you want to be able to play from USB or CD?

Coz I use Traktor with two turntables and a CDJ 800mk2. The 800 does the job fine and costs
you like €150,-.

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

Id like to be able to use vinyl and cdjs at the same time, so timecode would limit me if I was only turntables im sure.

I honestly kind of wanna break away from traktor and just use vinyls and cdjs (USB music).

Should I wait it out and get better than the 850s? Or are the 850's really good??

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

If anyone has any other ideas please let me know,
Should I maybe start using a dvs system with the vinyls and serato or traktor??

Im open to all ideas here.

Devant
fake

Post by Devant »

The club standard or at least here in Australia is two turntables and two CDJs. If you can replicate this setup at home and master mixing on this layout you can mix on anything and anywhere. Traktor and Serato can be cool because you can do lots of extra things with them but I would want proper decks over a laptop any day and laptop DJs usually cop a lot of shit.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Mixing with CDJ's is a piece of cake if you're comfortable with a set of turntables, having both at home is overkill IMO. A DVS mixes exactly like vinyl (I can't tell the difference) but allows you to play digital files. I don't know what Traktor lets you do, but in Serato you can set a relative mode which allows you use cue points and loops and stuff, so you get all the nice digital toys as well.

As for using it in a club, you can use Serato without touching the laptop, part of the vinyl is used for changing tracks. It's easy to almost hide the laptop out of sight, there is no way it's not obvious you're actually mixing properly (for those that give a shit). I've never felt any stigma using it live and it's more fun for me as I find CD mixing a little mechanical- a little pitch fluctuation keeps me on my toes ;) .

Wiu
Slowy J

Post by Wiu »

I have 1 CDJ350 (which I rarely use if I'm honest) and it really is easy to mix with them. Credit where credit's due and all that. If you're anything like me, once you get the idea to do something, you'll find a way. Credit the fuckers. Most of the online retailers offer credit options now.

Don't underestimate DVS's though. I used to have 4 turntables setup, 2 for Torq DVS and 2 for vinyl. I loved that fucking setup. Sadly after my Windows XP desktop died, Torq just ran like shit on my Windows 7 laptop. I ditched Torq in the end as Avid took over M-Audio and they basically wrote it off. Pity.
Thank you for the laughs, debate, new music found, production tips etc etc over the years. I wish Subsekt and everyone all the best for the future. Wiu.

ozias_leduc
ANAL

Post by ozias_leduc »

i recently stopped using ableton (HATED bringing a laptop + controller to gigs) and started using CDJs

i already had 2 1200s , and just wanted a pair of CDJs for home so i could learn on them

i got 2x CDJ350s . i don't really care about the platter size (i don't find it weird when i'm using CDJ2000s or whatever out, the platter does the same thing!)

although admittedly i do miss the waveform display which the 350s don't have. that for me would be the biggest difference between them.

PS rekordbox is awesome

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

Planar wrote:Mixing with CDJ's is a piece of cake if you're comfortable with a set of turntables, having both at home is overkill IMO. A DVS mixes exactly like vinyl (I can't tell the difference) but allows you to play digital files. I don't know what Traktor lets you do, but in Serato you can set a relative mode which allows you use cue points and loops and stuff, so you get all the nice digital toys as well.

As for using it in a club, you can use Serato without touching the laptop, part of the vinyl is used for changing tracks. It's easy to almost hide the laptop out of sight, there is no way it's not obvious you're actually mixing properly (for those that give a shit). I've never felt any stigma using it live and it's more fun for me as I find CD mixing a little mechanical- a little pitch fluctuation keeps me on my toes ;) .

Hmmmm this sounds tempting now.
I have a traktor a10 and pretty sure I have the traktor version for timecode use.
Is it possible to switch from using digital > vinyl on the one turntable? Or would it be a case of, one vinyl and one using the dvs system?

This sounds like the best option to go for and just keep saving the money.

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

Macca wrote: Is it possible to switch from using digital > vinyl on the one turntable? Or would it be a case of, one vinyl and one using the dvs system?
Just talking Serato here, but you can switch at will, just switch from line to phono on the mixer and it plays the vinyl normally. You can hear the timecode on the Serato vinyl if you do that. I expect Tracktor offers the same thing, but you'd have to look that up unless someone else here knows.

That's why I went with it about 8 years ago, I wanted to play digital files but still have my old collection available to me on a whim. Plus, burning CD's is a pain I don't want. Serato has timecode CD's as well if you need to play somewhere with only CD decks- it works in exactly the same way.

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

Brilliant man! Think thats what I will do that for now.

On the serato set up do you just need a soundcard/timecode vinyls? or is there anything extra you need?

Planar
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Planar »

You get everything you need in the box. If I were you I'd look at the Traktor timecode option first if you already own that software.

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

No I plan to I was just making sure I dont need any funny cables or such.

Cheers mate.

Thumper
decent

Post by Thumper »

I went with Denon sc2900s over the Pio stuff when I got mine last year. Got mine new for £580 the pair - I think that was a mistake, though. A few days after I'd got mine at he price at the place doubled. The SC2900s aren't Pio Nexus2000 quality, but they are at least as good - if not better in many respects - than 900s. Uses software called Engine which seems to be alright not had nay problems with it so far. You could always get these and DL Rekordbox from Pio if you need it.

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

Thumper wrote:I went with Denon sc2900s over the Pio stuff when I got mine last year. Got mine new for £580 the pair - I think that was a mistake, though. A few days after I'd got mine at he price at the place doubled. The SC2900s aren't Pio Nexus2000 quality, but they are at least as good - if not better in many respects - than 900s. Uses software called Engine which seems to be alright not had nay problems with it so far. You could always get these and DL Rekordbox from Pio if you need it.
Might actually just get those in future.
I was looking at getting them but had no idea of the build quality or anything.

Macca
durchfall

Post by Macca »

Thumper wrote:I went with Denon sc2900s over the Pio stuff when I got mine last year. Got mine new for £580 the pair - I think that was a mistake, though. A few days after I'd got mine at he price at the place doubled. The SC2900s aren't Pio Nexus2000 quality, but they are at least as good - if not better in many respects - than 900s. Uses software called Engine which seems to be alright not had nay problems with it so far. You could always get these and DL Rekordbox from Pio if you need it.
Whats the display like on them?

ashley BORG
Small Penis

Post by ashley BORG »

Funny enough I'm looking in to this.

My CD1000's are now 8 years old (working fine). But obviously way behind the 2000's Nexus I play on in clubs. The 1000s can't use Rekord Box and has the blocky LED waveform.
I played off USB for the first time last month. It was a bit out of my comfort zone having to menu dive, but I think once I get the hang of it I'll be fine.

So actually thinking of getting the new USB only CDJs. After 8 years of buying, the CDs are taking up as much space as the vinyl (cue angry looks from the Mrs)

As said above I'm just gonna buy on credit once I get a few other stuff out the way. I think I've seen Buy now pay later 24 months £1600 for the pair.
I've bought loads of shit for the house, etc... on credit it's easy if you're organised.

Mslwte
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mslwte »

Buy now pay later is a dangerous game lol. I prefer the but now start paying it monthly now.. Otherwise I forget I have to pay it lol
https://soundcloud.com/mslwte
https://noizefacilityrecords.bandcamp.com
https://www.instagram.com/subsekt909
https://www.facebook.com/subsekt909/
Lost to the Void wrote:Fuck off, get some tequila down ya neck and make some noise you cunt....