Obtuso - Untitled 12 and 13

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
daunzila
arsehole
Obtuso - Untitled 12 and 13

Post by daunzila »

I had some free time in the last 2 months, so i managed to move to a new place and start to record new stuff, this are the first ones of those

as always, feedback comments are welcome :)
WTF?!

A_K
Suspect Handshake
Re: Obtuso - Untitled 12 and 13

Post by A_K »

I like where you're going with these tracks.

On 12, I think the synths could sit better in the mix; The alarm synth at the beginning could be quieter by at least a few dB, maybe more, and the high frequencies on it from 1 KHz and up could be pulled down maybe 6 to 12 dB with EQ. Maybe some more compression. The pad synth towards the end could be quieter by maybe 6 to 12 dB.

On 13, I think the bassline's filter cutoff could be automated just to keep the sound evolving a bit more.

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

Hey, nice, i used to be really shy on the high frequencies, so in the last tracks i was trying to put it up a bit on the mix, but youre probably right i might have gone a little too far here hehe

i cant really automate stuff as i record things live, but i could have put the LFO at low rate to affect the cutoff to make it more alive, cool idea, thanks for that man :)
WTF?!

quest
will fuck for food

Post by quest »

Wait now it's 13 and 14?

Anyway, 13 has some great character, bassline is really oldschool, the whole vibe! I like the space in the mix in the first 2/3rds, need a good way to finish this one, it's building towards something, but towards the end the pad is thickening and there's this resonant synth that doesn't fit quite as well for me...

For me the tune starts in D with that nice bassline, and then the whole middle with the G minor part feels like it wants to resolve back to D at the end, and you could do minor or maybe even D major to have a subtle resolution with a shift in the vibe.. try that out maybe?

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I like the proggy vibes of "13", really nice bassline.

There are all kinds of balance problems though.

The kick is almost a background sound and really doesn`t push through or punch through the track at all. You can hear right at the start it is all mids and no bass. I would throw a 909 or something pure underneath it for more weight, and then squeeze the 2 kicks with compression.

The bass has more weight than the kick, so above is more relevant. It`s quite a nice low slung bassline, so I would look at keeping the kick sitting above it rather inside of it, if that makes sense.

Some of the noise stabs are too peaky and pop out of the mix too much, so they could be tamed a bit.

This type of music really needs to be lush and wide, so I would try to get more stereo width in there, try some mid/side processing. Especially with that really resonant synth that filters around for the whole track, it`s sits too much in the middle, covering over the drums and dominating the mix. I think the pads overall have had too much of the lows taken out of them, and are a little too loud in the mix, and sometimes become uncomfortably resonant rather than lush and beautiful, so more careful application of subtractive EQ would really help this.

I`d day the tune is great but the mix, both levels and EQ need to be re-addressed overall.

"14" again, nice proggy vibes.

Same problem with this kick as the previous, it feels unbalanced. The top end is a little too much on it in comparison to the low end of it, so it throws the track off a little.

Hats could be a little more airy, maybe a little wider, but if the top end of the kick is addressed they might come out a little more anyway.

I think you could actually bring out the bassline a little, it might need some chopping to stop it from dominating the kick, but it`s a strong sound and could fill out the mix a little more I think.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

Damn, soundcloud bugged an upload some weeks before those tracks, then when i uploaded those the url gone wrong, it really should be 12 and 13 :(

to be honest, now i just hate the mix on the untitled 12(url untitled13 :P), unbalanced is the right word for that one

and about the 13(url untitled14) maybe some sidechain compression on the bass could help on that?

is funny to go back to some music, sometimes you love and sometimes you really think, what fuck im a thinking???
hahaha
Anyway, thanks for your time to listen those
WTF?!