Guitar Pedals For Techno / Production

Electronic Music Production // Dark Arts
Críoch
subsekt
subsekt
Guitar Pedals For Techno / Production

Post by Críoch »

Just wondering what people have? Recommend. There has probably been a few topics already chatting about this but not sure if there has been a dedicated one.

I have a Boss Metal Zone MT2, EHX Big Muff, a Rocktek Metal Worker and a Crybaby Wah (somewhere). Missed out recently on a Moogerfooger Ring. Sickened by that.

I used to have a really cool delay pedal, a JHS / John Hornby Skewes Echo or Delay something. It's long broken. It was probably a piece of shit. From the 80's I say.. and it had lots of dials that I remember tweaking & repitching the delays when I was recording on a 4-track. Thought it was fucking class. Sounded very 'other world-ly'. Thinking back, it was probably fucking broken when I got it.. just it eventually died. It was a noisy, unrealistic thing :mrgreen:

I'm alright for distortion.. but I was thinking of picking up another delay.. a Boss DD5 or DD7. Maybe I'd be better off going for a RE20 / Space Echo pedal?

I used to have a real 201. Would be pretty cool to have that big box in a small pedal but I wonder how versatile it is. Should check it out actually as I've been reading manuals for the Boss DD's for the last while. There is a larger Boss Delay, a DD20 I think.. but it seems to get a bad rep from guitar folk for some reason.

Any recommendations?

Are compressor pedals any use? I guess they are all mono.. y'd be better off spending more cash on something a bit more fully featured.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum
>> Click here for NEW POSTS on subsekt <<

Dialog I The Hole I subsekt Blog I The Bench I IG I SC I Mixes I FB

willemb
Mild
Re: Guitar Pedals For Techno / Production

Post by willemb »

There is a dedicated delay pedal/effect thread here: http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ilit=delay

I am quite curious about compressor pedals too... Mostly if the attack can be set fast enough, as unlike guitar plucks that should come through in the attack phase, i usually just want to squash the f out of beats. On a cheap zoom multi effect the compressor models just didnt work on beats very well, but i dont know if a decent boss compressor pedal for example could work better on beats?

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

Re compressors, there are loads of rack mounts on ebay, including stereo compressors for quite cheap prices, might be worth looking into if you want to get a compressor and dont want to take it on the road?

SFBM
&roid

Post by SFBM »

Currently I have a Big Muff Pi, Boss DS-1, RE-20 Space Echo Pedal and a Boss DD-3 for my setup of Volca Bass, Keys, Beats and a Monotribe (have the monotron delay and normal monotron, too). Chaining up the 3 of them (ie everything but space echo) into the Monotribe gives AMAZING results, but it could benefit from a little bit more and some proper drums backing it along side.

I'm getting the Aira TR-8 soon and going to get a Behringer DR-600 Reverb pedal (as I can get it for cheap) so I've got some proper reverb (and stereo, too) until I can afford to add an Eventide Space and/or Strymon Bigsky into the setup, and also a Proco Rat 2. Other than that I'm unsure what would be good to add. And I know it's not strictly a pedal but have been considering adding a Vermona Filter lancet or Retroverb lancet into the setup, too. Any suggestions of what would fit? I'm not exactly strapped for cash haha.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

willemb wrote:There is a dedicated delay pedal/effect thread here: http://www.subsekt.com/viewtopic.php?f= ... ilit=delay

I am quite curious about compressor pedals too... Mostly if the attack can be set fast enough, as unlike guitar plucks that should come through in the attack phase, i usually just want to squash the f out of beats. On a cheap zoom multi effect the compressor models just didnt work on beats very well, but i dont know if a decent boss compressor pedal for example could work better on beats?
hahaha - Fucking class. Theres a thread already about it on my website! hahaha :D :D :D

Cool Willem! Plenty to read there. Will take a look & come back here.

Was looking at that Behringer Timemachine also. Seemed decent enough. Did you get anything in the end? Zoom? There are a few going cheap but I'm not sure about how much tweakability they have so I'll probably not go near them.
KennethExack wrote:My kids and I are completely shocked by the specialized secrets that everyone has on this forum

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

I heard Bleak use his El Capistan delay pedal extensively during soundcheck recently.
Just as a send delay for his DJ set. Sounded absolute fire.

I'm looking for an Eventide Space and maybe an El Capistan too. Listen to some
Civil Civic for some great use of the Space. Also plenty of EL Distressor in there..
one of my favourite effects.

Lost to the Void
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Lost to the Void »

I`m just about to start my next build project.
An analogue delay unit.
Quite scarey.

Gotta say I love the Bad Monkey pedal from Digitech, really nice sound on this.
Clacktronic Wasp Drive is an Awesome multimode filter box with lfo, drive and switchable self oscillation, rare as unicorn shit though.
Mastering Engineer @ Black Monolith Studio
New Shit
Techno is dead. Long live Techno.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

I got a cheap caline blue ocean delay, and it well, sounds kind of thin, but it suits me until i get something better. Got my eye on a bunch of stuff, some of the rack n half rack 70s/80s analog delays mostly in the delay area, but might get a weird sound generator before i get another delay.

In the meantime, i did get a behringer reverb machine for some extra reverb fun. The shimmer (called space on behringer) setting is nice for tonal content, setting is not so good for drums/noise.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

also looking to get one of these soon: http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Synthrotek-Co ... 3a938f0c26

daunzila
arsehole

Post by daunzila »

I use some pedals, theyre great fun, recently i got a the Hall of Fame Reverb from Tc Electronics, loving how deep this one go
the echo park from line 6 is my main delay, tap tempo, self oscillating, reverse, this one has everything i wanted, good one, maybe feels a little fragile
but i recomend those 2

last year i got a marshals jackhammer (distortion/overdrive) to mess with my drums(tr8 and volca beats), not using anymore, idk maybe i got tired of this one, not dirty enough, thinking about getting a proco rat, sound way better from the demos i saw

i have one old compression/sustainer pedal from my bass player days, oliver is the brand i guess, i tried to use it in my drums, but to be honest i didnt feel any big change, maybe is malfunction from this old one idk...

i have a landscape delay and a boss reverb(rv2), not that good i dont recomend but i still use them hehe
WTF?!

Monreal
You only live once

Post by Monreal »

Check out "Zoom MS-100BT". I personally never used it but people swear by it.

http://www.zoom.co.jp/products/ms-100bt

BandoftheHand
rescued

Post by BandoftheHand »

Eventide, Devi Ever, Strymon,Dwarfcraft, Earthquaker, EHX, Red Panda, Boss, Empress, MXR, Walrus, Chase Bliss the list goes on.

It's best to cut your nose off to spite your face.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Man.. I want everything now!

Those eventide spaces are crazy money.. I'd be killed *if I got one. Shit. I'd probably kill myself lol. I'd have to lie about the cost :)

Bought a DD5 . Fuck it. Spent tonight looking up cheapo fx & old alesis units Might pick up something else over next few days . Battered up, unloved things.

Looking at some of the cheap zooms differently tonight. There is a newish G2 model, mulitfx with twisty dials. A zoom 505 basically with dials. They're so cheap. Might have one or 2 useful features. Dunno.

Alume
Confetti

Post by Alume »

The bargaining tread has some cool FX units as wel.

willemb
Mild

Post by willemb »

ICN wrote:Looking at some of the cheap zooms differently tonight. There is a newish G2 model, mulitfx with twisty dials. A zoom 505 basically with dials. They're so cheap. Might have one or 2 useful features. Dunno.
Ive got a zoom G1N or something like that, i wouldnt recommend it really. Its got some ok presets in it, but i find it a pain to use, and its a pain because it needs it own powersupply. Really cheap on ebay though. There are some nice sounding bits in there in the right context, but i am not digging it out or making space for it.

msl
║▌║█║▌│║▌║▌█

Post by msl »

ICN wrote:Those eventide spaces are crazy money.. I'd be killed *if I got one. Shit. I'd probably kill myself lol. I'd have to lie about the cost :)

Honestly, I sold my Space after I got the Valhalla plug ins...

www.bernadettetrax.bandcamp.com
www.soundcloud.com/michaellovatt

“Once men turned their thinking over to machines in the hope that this would set them free. But that only permitted other men with machines to enslave them.” Dune

AxeD
durchfall

Post by AxeD »

That would have been a good story, if you sold the Space to ICN for €200.

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

Alume wrote:The bargaining tread has some cool FX units as wel.
Cheers Man! Will check

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

willemb wrote:
Ive got a zoom G1N or something like that, i wouldnt recommend it really. Its got some ok presets in it, but i find it a pain to use, and its a pain because it needs it own powersupply. Really cheap on ebay though. There are some nice sounding bits in there in the right context, but i am not digging it out or making space for it.
Ok.. fine man. I appreciate that there is good reason why they are as cheap as fuck 2nd hand lol. Just thought it would be cool for a little chance. I'm driving by someone tomorrow who is selling one.. so was gonna pop in. Wont now. Fuck it! :D

Thats the thing though.. you need to think about what you want to buy for a good while before you buy anything. Really. Otherwise you could possibly spend XXXXXXXXXXX amount of cash on small mistakes that you have no chance of recouping.

Thanks for smacking some sense back into me! :lol:

Críoch
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Críoch »

msl wrote:

Honestly, I sold my Space after I got the Valhalla plug ins...

Its amazing how many coincidences people have Michael. People all over the world.. doing things separately but following the same patterns and coming to the exact same conclusions. I've totally come to that same realisation in the last few hours.

Seeing your comment has really floored me lol. I've been itching for about 6 months to get some old reverbs.. mainly Alesis type ones. I literally downloaded a demo of Valhalla's Shimmer today. FUCKKKK.

I swore that I was not buying any more software.. but I'm going to have to buy this off Sean in the next couple of days. Already have VH Room. Great sounding reverbs. I came to the same conclusion earlier as you. Why would I spend any money on the older boxes with hard-ish to edit parameters when Sean has exactly the features that I'm lusting over in his reasonably priced plugins. Beautiful!