dark ambient live recording

Post your work here - Ask for feedback or just show it off
AlexSting
non reader
dark ambient live recording

Post by AlexSting »

Not sure if you guys are into ambient music.. It's quite experimental - curious to hear your opinions again.

Dust Layer
leper
Re: dark ambient live recording

Post by Dust Layer »

Listening, i like it so far!

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

Really good at 21mn30, with a better production it would be very interesting.

AlexSting
non reader

Post by AlexSting »

Dust Layer wrote:Really good at 21mn30, with a better production it would be very interesting.
thanks! what do you mean by that?

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

a different mixdown, more sub and bass or presence in the lows in general.
And a bit more vagueness in the medium, it sounds a bit metallic and too dry (shiny) for me.

But it's a matter of tastes of course!

AlexSting
non reader

Post by AlexSting »

Dust Layer wrote:a different mixdown, more sub and bass or presence in the lows in general.
And a bit more vagueness in the medium, it sounds a bit metallic and too dry (shiny) for me.

But it's a matter of tastes of course!
It's an unmixed stereo recording coming directly out of the hardware. So unfortunately there is no way of mixing each individual track now. I like the metallic sound but I'd like to get rid of some mud in the low mid range. Just added some rough eqing. Next time I'll set up a multitrack recording. Thanks for listening.

A_K
Suspect Handshake

Post by A_K »

I tried running your live mix through Vladg's Nova-67P using the "Multiband Hell" preset as a starting point.

Some tweaks to the preset; Attack 1 ms and release 10 ms, master gain 0 dB, high overall compression ratio (10:1) with sidechain off and compression threshold set to zero. EQ the mids (380 Hz & 950 Hz) by -6 dB and -8 dB respectively with wide bands, compression threshold on the same mid bands to -14 dB, compression threshold around 8 KHz to -30 dB with a narrow band and no EQ. Narrow band at 40 Hz with no EQ and compression threshold at -6 dB.

I added a 2nd instance of Nova-67P to the chain; Attack 1 ms and release 10 ms, low compression ratio (2:1), sidechain off and overall threshold set to zero; One super wide band around 900 Hz, no EQ and compression threshold set to -30 dB. One narrow band at 40 Hz with no EQ and compression threshold at -6 dB.

TDR Kotelnikov (compressor) with "Mastering - Smooth" preset, adjusted threshold to -30 dB output master gain to 10 dB.

Not really necessary but I decided to put an EngineersFilter before everything in the chain; Highpass mode, Butterworth method, 40 Hz and an order of 8.

Limiter with max headroom set to -0.6 dB, master gain +3 dB, catches the occasional stray peak.

Still some tiny issues, like the peaks around 8 KHz are still too loud in the beginning of the mix, but I think it sounds better now.

Saved the settings in a temp project for now, just in case.

Really enjoying this mix, it was a great way to start my morning, thank you.

Ttinga
Normality Restored

Post by Ttinga »

I'll admit I didn't listen to the whole thing in one shot but from flipping through it it sounds pretty cool! :)

AlexSting
non reader

Post by AlexSting »

Ttinga wrote:I'll admit I didn't listen to the whole thing in one shot but from flipping through it it sounds pretty cool! :)
Just flipping through is definitely a big mistake when it comes to ambient music... ;) But great that you liked it anyway
A_K wrote:I tried running your live mix through Vladg's Nova-67P
Sounds like someone knows what he is doing. Is it possible to hear the result (or parts of it) somewhere?
A_K wrote:Still some tiny issues, like the peaks around 8 KHz are still too loud in the beginning of the mix, but I think it sounds better now.
You have no idea how fucking loud these bleeps have been before adding a multiband Comp for only that part.. :lol: And you're right - they are still too loud - only fixable with multitrack recording.

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

A_K wrote:I tried running your live mix through Vladg's Nova-67P using the "Multiband Hell" preset as a starting point.

Some tweaks to the preset; Attack 1 ms and release 10 ms, master gain 0 dB, high overall compression ratio (10:1) with sidechain off and compression threshold set to zero. EQ the mids (380 Hz & 950 Hz) by -6 dB and -8 dB respectively with wide bands, compression threshold on the same mid bands to -14 dB, compression threshold around 8 KHz to -30 dB with a narrow band and no EQ. Narrow band at 40 Hz with no EQ and compression threshold at -6 dB.

I added a 2nd instance of Nova-67P to the chain; Attack 1 ms and release 10 ms, low compression ratio (2:1), sidechain off and overall threshold set to zero; One super wide band around 900 Hz, no EQ and compression threshold set to -30 dB. One narrow band at 40 Hz with no EQ and compression threshold at -6 dB.

TDR Kotelnikov (compressor) with "Mastering - Smooth" preset, adjusted threshold to -30 dB output master gain to 10 dB.

Not really necessary but I decided to put an EngineersFilter before everything in the chain; Highpass mode, Butterworth method, 40 Hz and an order of 8.

Limiter with max headroom set to -0.6 dB, master gain +3 dB, catches the occasional stray peak.

Still some tiny issues, like the peaks around 8 KHz are still too loud in the beginning of the mix, but I think it sounds better now.

Yes can you post the result somewhere?

Mattias
subsekt
subsekt

Post by Mattias »

A_K wrote:Attack 1
Scary stuff for ambient music that.
Music Page: http://www.facebook.com/Mattias.Fridell.Music
Soundcloud: http://soundcloud.com/fridell
Sample packs: http://mfsamples.bandcamp.com

Contention / 005

Dust Layer
leper

Post by Dust Layer »

Mattias wrote:
Yes waiting to hear.

AlexSting
non reader

Post by AlexSting »

Mattias wrote:
Indeed! That's the concept.

AlexSting
non reader

Post by AlexSting »

Dust Layer wrote:
A_K wrote:I tried running your live mix through Vladg's Nova-67P using the "Multiband Hell" preset as a starting point.

Yes can you post the result somewhere?
But keep it a private link please if you do so!

A_K
Suspect Handshake

Post by A_K »

AlexSting wrote:
But keep it a private link please if you do so!
Apologies for the delay in getting back to you. I can export and provide a dropbox link, unless you have a better idea.

I agree with Mattias, the attack could be set to something slower. I'll see what I can do about that.

A_K
Suspect Handshake

Post by A_K »

Alex, I sent you a PM with a link. I'm not sure how to make private links on the forums yet.

I'm not an expert on mastering so this was a fun learning experience for me although it took me awhile to figure things out.

9 instances of Nova67P, 4 instances of EngineersFilter, 1 instance of DestinyMKIII and ThrillseekerVBL. Some automation on some of the instances of Nova67P. Voxengo SPAN for visual feedback. Free plugins, that's what I can afford to use right now.

Also used the limiter that came with my DAW, FL Studio 12, to keep it all below -0.6 dB in some places.